'18 TN PG Darius Garland

I've been useless all day man. One more win.

You hear Charlie Sheen is going to be there? I want him to cut his hair amd sport those nerdy glasseslike in the movie. Then come running from the outfield and throw the first pitch.

Then them Cubbies just lay the wood. No pun

And it is done.

Just watched some film on this good. He's good.

First things first, he's a point guard. The basketball is natural in his hands. He does a great job being efficient with his moves. He doesn't overdo anything. He also is a very gifted passer. I always look in high school where A) A player anticipates a pass and B) Where he locates the pass. He's elite at both. He has excellent timing in the PNR and he's very good at getting in the rim, drawing the defense in, and being quick with his passes. He's got a very good first step and also knows how to use screens to beat his man off the dribble.

He's a good scorer. I saw highlight tapes (not actual game film) so I saw all the good but I love that he can finish with either hand and due to his size has learned a floater in the lane that he can use. It's also quick to get over taller defenders. Also not afraid to use the glass. Good body control. Made some nice moves to create space in the air and finish. Also can do that with his passing ability.

Nice form on this shot. Shoots it a little under and and a little out in front for my liking but he has good follow through. He also can get it off really quick and looks balanced when he rises up to shoot. Can definitely be a shooter.

One thing I noticed (or didn't find) in his game on watching was a pull up jump shot. Now he does a great job using floaters within 12 feet but I didn't find anything in the 15-18 feet range. A part of this can definitely be at his age and level he hasn't needed one yet but for a point guard that pull up jumper can be very beneficial.

No defensive tape but he's definitely 5'11/6'0 and I didn't notice very long arms or big hands or anything about his body that suggests great defender but that doesn't mean he can't be a good one. Really hard to guess anything with highlights.

If I had to make an NBA comparison, think right handed Mike Conley. Good shooter, very good using either hand to finish, excellent floater, and knows how to play the position. I think he's a better passer but probably won't be the defender that Mike is. But again, he is 16/17. Either way, I definitely can see why he's rated so high.

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere, but assuming we take another player in the '17 class, and hoping it's Pons, doesn't that speak for all our scholarships for the '18 class?

Anyone know what the plan is for recruiting the 2018 class, because, obviously, we are and need to recruit to be safe.

Just watched some film on this good. He's good.

First things first, he's a point guard. The basketball is natural in his hands. He does a great job being efficient with his moves. He doesn't overdo anything. He also is a very gifted passer. I always look in high school where A) A player anticipates a pass and B) Where he locates the pass. He's elite at both. He has excellent timing in the PNR and he's very good at getting in the rim, drawing the defense in, and being quick with his passes. He's got a very good first step and also knows how to use screens to beat his man off the dribble.

He's a good scorer. I saw highlight tapes (not actual game film) so I saw all the good but I love that he can finish with either hand and due to his size has learned a floater in the lane that he can use. It's also quick to get over taller defenders. Also not afraid to use the glass. Good body control. Made some nice moves to create space in the air and finish. Also can do that with his passing ability.

Nice form on this shot. Shoots it a little under and and a little out in front for my liking but he has good follow through. He also can get it off really quick and looks balanced when he rises up to shoot. Can definitely be a shooter.

One thing I noticed (or didn't find) in his game on watching was a pull up jump shot. Now he does a great job using floaters within 12 feet but I didn't find anything in the 15-18 feet range. A part of this can definitely be at his age and level he hasn't needed one yet but for a point guard that pull up jumper can be very beneficial.

No defensive tape but he's definitely 5'11/6'0 and I didn't notice very long arms or big hands or anything about his body that suggests great defender but that doesn't mean he can't be a good one. Really hard to guess anything with highlights.

If I had to make an NBA comparison, think right handed Mike Conley. Good shooter, very good using either hand to finish, excellent floater, and knows how to play the position. I think he's a better passer but probably won't be the defender that Mike is. But again, he is 16/17. Either way, I definitely can see why he's rated so high.

I watched he and Bone play one another and it was interesting. Garland was a smoother player surrounded by a little better talent. He was not as quick as Bone nor as explosive.

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere, but assuming we take another player in the '17 class, and hoping it's Pons, doesn't that speak for all our scholarships for the '18 class?

Anyone know what the plan is for recruiting the 2018 class, because, obviously, we are and need to recruit to be safe.

Seems like it is Pons or bust right now. They are recruiting Garland hard but I haven't really noticed 2018 players we are taking a look at. I still think someone leaves this season unfortunately. I don't know who but going in 2018 with zero or one scholarship is something I don't think Barnes would do. Plus we are going to have two players redshirt from the 2016 class so if you don't get Pons (who is an NBA talent) I think holding the scholarship is the best bet.

I watched he and Bone play one another and it was interesting. Garland was a smoother player surrounded by a little better talent. He was not as quick as Bone nor as explosive.

Garland is also a much much much better passer/shooter than Bone IMO. Bone definitely has the first step on him.

Pons would take the last scholarship for 2017 and 2018. Kwe Parker or Shembari Phillips are currently the most likely to not return and therefore create an open spot. But the spots in the doghouse are quite fluid this year... it sure was looking like Schofield's UT career was winding down about a month ago and now there's been some speculating that he could be starting next year.

Does anybody know if there's a such thing as a grey shirt or blue shirt in basketball? I'm assuming not, the calendars for football and basketball aren't similar.

Seems like it is Pons or bust right now. They are recruiting Garland hard but I haven't really noticed 2018 players we are taking a look at. I still think someone leaves this season unfortunately. I don't know who but going in 2018 with zero or one scholarship is something I don't think Barnes would do. Plus we are going to have two players redshirt from the 2016 class so if you don't get Pons (who is an NBA talent) I think holding the scholarship is the best bet.

Our 2017 class will probably be Kent, Walker, & Pons. That's not too bad just for 3 recruits. All 3 are decent players but Kent is a work in progress.

I noticed Kent was higher ranked than Walker on 247. Not by much though.

No way I agree with that. Walker should be ranked higher than Kent & by quite a bit too. Walker is more skilled than Kent.

Kent is a work in progress & may even need a redshirt year to up his skill level before being thrown into the fire of SEC basketball. Thanks!

Don't think we get Garland. Seems like Duke is the team to beat and with Bone in the fold, not sure where Garland fits assuming he wants to be a starter plus one and done.

Don't think we get Garland. Seems like Duke is the team to beat and with Bone in the fold, not sure where Garland fits assuming he wants to be a starter plus one and done.

I'm of the opinion that no matter our roster situation, you go after a 5*, top pg in the country instate

Reactions: 2 people

I've not seen anything that says Garland would be a one and done player. He is not very big and is not jet quick. He will need more time however I think Duke is the elephant in the room.

I think Parker is gone. I base that simply on 1) lack of playing time, 2) his offensive game is very limited and 3) he had too many people in front of him to make a big move in the offseason.

I think Parker is gone. I base that simply on 1) lack of playing time, 2) his offensive game is very limited and 3) he had too many people in front of him to make a big move in the offseason.

He did seem to have a pretty good attitude at the end of the season... at least based on body language.

BUT... he didn't contribute too much while Bone was out with a broken foot. However, freshmen develop at different rates. Maybe he's just struggling to adapt to the higher level.

Still, he hasn't used up his RS. It won't be shocking if he decides to transfer to a less demanding league without guys like Fox and Frazier to compete against.

We didn't even try to recruit him more than nominal attention. We do not even try for this level of talent.

I only see blue bloods with Nattys and his hometown team on the list. If he has zero interest in playing at Tennessee then there is no need to dance with the guy.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back