Horrible officiating

Basketball is a contact sport. If you can pick and roll, there is contact.

The other thing that pisses me off is that I have seen the offensive foul (on elbow) called when the defender is touching the offensive player. Should never happen. The MSU defender had his hand on Schofield right before the elbow. If the defender is making contact, then the defender can clear him out. You can't just allow a defender to make contact.

I'd like to see the stats on why fouls are called. One big change is that defenders aren't allowed to put TWO hands on the offensive players.

I wish they'd stop calling those fouls 40 feet away from the basket that didn't create a huge advantage for the defender. But what can you do? When the rule says it's a foul and the defense keeps on doing it... not calling the fouls is the same as if the rules don't exist.

Yes, very inconsistent. But I was taught that you own your space and use your body to clear it when a defender chooses to come into it. I am not that old. If a defender is touching an offensive player (and refs won't call it), the offensive player certainly has the right to clear him.

This is how I learned it and I definitely ain't old

I'd like to see the stats on why fouls are called. One big change is that defenders aren't allowed to put TWO hands on the offensive players.

I wish they'd stop calling those fouls 40 feet away from the basket that didn't create a huge advantage for the defender. But what can you do? When the rule says it's a foul and the defense keeps on doing it... not calling the fouls is the same as if the rules don't exist.

It's funny because I feel like there are several times where our guys are at a disadvantage because of it and they don't call it, they just call it when I couldn't care less and think it was a phantom foul, even when it's done by the other team.

I prefer calling it tighter the closer you get to the basket. But you still can't call an offensive foul for a clear out if the defender is touching the offensive player.

I prefer calling it tighter the closer you get to the basket. But you still can't call an offensive foul for a clear out if the defender is touching the offensive player.

But defenders are allowed to touch the player they're guarding. Can't grab and hold, but touching isn't a foul. Schofield's push off was kind of high and the defender sold it.

I hate to blame a loss on refs. I have become accustomed to them being so bad that I expect a cluster***** every time they call a game. Hoops officiating is pretty awful at every level. Road teams have always gotten a lot of bad calls. That'll never change.

Reactions: 1 person
Barnes on the radio adamant that was not goal tending at the end of the game. I thought the same thing when I saw it live. Without that call we still had a chance to pull it out. That iced the game

Reactions: 1 person
But defenders are allowed to touch the player they're guarding. Can't grab and hold, but touching isn't a foul. Schofield's push off was kind of high and the defender sold it.

I don't believe that's the rule. That's an NBA rule. A player cannot use his hands to prevent freedom of movement, and a defender cannot "keep" his hand on an offensive player.

Barnes on the radio adamant that was not goal tending at the end of the game. I thought the same thing when I saw it live. Without that call we still had a chance to pull it out. That iced the game

It was goaltending. If you look at it at 1 frame per second with a magnifying glass, the ball kissed the backboard a nanosecond before Williams touched it. However, I also remember when they didn't call North Carolina for the most obvious non-called goaltending I've ever seen and we lost that game by a basket.

Coach Barnes seemed to be talking and pointing a lot more today...not blaming the refs, but, he was very animated...:bash:...:acute:...:stinker2:...:yuck:

GO VOLS!

Went from dominating by 19 to blaming the refs.

We are losing because we can't shoot. They only ended up getting a point with that horrible foul call, so it isn't the reason.

Well that's it of course , I've noticed it in a couple games. The officials see us start to flounder and put the fouls to us. Now in most of those games recently we have shot ourselves back into a comfortable lead. This game it didn't happen.

It was goaltending. If you look at it at 1 frame per second with a magnifying glass, the ball kissed the backboard a nanosecond before Williams touched it. However, I also remember when they didn't call North Carolina for the most obvious non-called goaltending I've ever seen and we lost that game by a basket.

I thought GW pinned it on the glass before the ball actually hit, but it was close.

Well that's it of course , I've noticed it in a couple games. The officials see us start to flounder and put the fouls to us. Now in most of those games recently we have shot ourselves back into a comfortable lead. This game it didn't happen.

I seriously doubt that the refs let a floundering team influence what they're calling. Maybe they'll stop making calls in a blowout to speed up a game and get it over with, but a team's momentum in undecided games probably isn't a factor. The crowd could affect them though.

Yep and the more you react on the road the worse they get. This game and the game at Ole Miss were awful. I'm seething over this ome.

I seriously doubt that the refs let a floundering team influence what they're calling. Maybe they'll stop making calls in a blowout to speed up a game and get it over with, but a team's momentum in undecided games probably isn't a factor. The crowd could affect them though.

Well like I said it was something I noticed, not pushing conspiracies, I have noticed 3 times now. Though Kentucky well that's well Kentucky.

I was "blaming the refs" in games we were up by 15 aka this game and last game), thank you very much. They're kinda hot garbage no matter the game situation.

I would also say that 1985vols is on "the SEC refs are garbage this year" team, he's been super consistent about it too whether we are blowing teams out or vice versa.

Lanky you are correct I have been on the refs. They are ruining the game by calling way too many fouls, many of them ghost fouls. Games have become FT shooting contests instead of letting players showcase their talent. After watching today's officiating crew call the foul on Schofield and then call it " flagrant" after watching it on the monitor was proposterous. They should have been fired on the spot. It seems the refs want to be the center of attention in many of these games ( yes you Teddy Valentine) and it makes the games hard to watch.

Reactions: 2 people
Officiating was bad but what lost the game for us- too many missed free throws, poor defensive rebounding, poor 2nd half shooting, and where was Hubbs?, nobody stepped up to stop that tidal wave of momentum MS had going from about the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half.

VN Store

Back