Barnes is about to be 3-0 vs Pearl

Yet I don't remember you or any other person on this forum claim it was a joke. Didn't it gather a quarter million sigs? Yeah, your "joke" narrative is very false.

Then you either have a very bad memory or a selective one. I said it was a joke from the very beginning. Why? Because there was zero chance of Pearl coming back to UT at that time.

I'd say there were three camps that were voting on the petition:

1. People who weren't happy with the job Cuonzo was doing and thought Pearl had a legitimate shot at coming back.
2. People who weren't happy with the job Cuonzo was doing and knew Pearl wasn't coming back but voted anyway because they were unhappy.
3. Fictitious names made up by people in group 1 or 2 hoping to inflate the numbers or non-UT fans having fun and making up names.

If you fell into group 1 then you were completely oblivious to how the UTAD operates. Most of the same people in power that fired Pearl were employed 3 years after he was able to coach again. I would hope most of the signatures would've been in group 2, but if you looked at some of the actual signatures then you'd know a lot of them were made up. Hence, my reason for saying it was a joke. We had a better chance at getting Nick Saban to come coach basketball than we did Bruce Pearl at that time.

The one thing it did accomplish was it helped Cuonzo move on and UT get a new coach. If you think it was the sole reason then you are naive. For one, Dave Hart didn't exactly give Cuonzo a ringing endorsement after the Sweet 16 run. Dave Hart also didn't hire Cuonzo. Cuonzo knew the next year was going to be a rebuilding year. He also knew the natives were restless. What better time to get out than then? As he said, it was time. Cuonzo may not be the best bench coach, but he could see the writing on the wall. His stock wasn't going to be much higher in the near future. He could get 3-4 more years guaranteed somewhere else so he left.

The disturbing part of him leaving was the racism accusations. I thought that was sensationalized. Every fan base has those wackos. Sometimes, they are the ones who scream the loudest and get heard. He obviously heard something and the press took it and ran with it.

I'm glad Cuonzo Martin is 3 times zones away. He should thank his lucky stars every night for whoever started that petition. He would be sitting half way down a bench somewhere right now if not for that guy.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm glad Cuonzo Martin is 3 times zones away. He should thank his lucky stars every night for whoever started that petition. He would be sitting half way down a bench somewhere right now if not for that guy.

Yet he's likely going to back to back NCAAT?

Calm down. What Barnes has done with this team has been absolutely phenomenal. They are playing some great bball right now. However, they are still a ways from even being a Sweet 16 team. Pray that they make the tournament and anything beyond that is a blessing.

I didn't mean a final four this year...I meant final four in a year or two with some big men coming in. It would be a good feat just to make the tourney this year.

Bruce is now 12-33 in conference play at auburn. I think he was 65-31 at ut. I think he misses forbes. Thats an awful record in a weak conference

Bruce is now 12-33 in conference play at auburn. I think he was 65-31 at ut. I think he misses forbes. Thats an awful record in a weak conference

I really enjoyed the years he was here, actually to point of having season tickets since. However, wouldn't trade what we have now (Barnes) for him plus some to boot. Beginning to really think that the coaches Bruce had surrounding him is what really made the team compete. Bruce was the cheerleader, the other coaches coached. He was what the old timers remembered as a good "snake oil salesman". I live in Kingsport and see the buzz surrounding the ETSU team and Forbes. Been a while since there has been this much excitement around the program. All that being said, love how the VOLS have been playing as of late. They have overachieved in my book. Even in their losses, this young bunch has never stopped playing hard. Feel we have the start of the comeback of UT Basketball. ITS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back