Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?

I was just thinking about this the other night. I think at the time a majority of people would have taken Smart over Barnes. It's easy to have revisionist history now and say that Barnes was the right choice, but at the time I don't think that was true. However, I do think that Barnes should easily be SEC coach of the year if this team makes the NCAA tourney with this roster. Age would be the only reason I would even consider Smart over Barnes at this point.

Ceiling is higher for Smart; however, you would have to worry more about him bolting for a better gig should he approach that ceiling. Given the Bruce/Martin/Tyndall mess, the program needs stability now. In 2 years, the answer may be different.

I was just thinking about this the other night. I think at the time a majority of people would have taken Smart over Barnes. It's easy to have revisionist history now and say that Barnes was the right choice, but at the time I don't think that was true. However, I do think that Barnes should easily be SEC coach of the year if this team makes the NCAA tourney with this roster. Age would be the only reason I would even consider Smart over Barnes at this point.

It wouldn't be a simple majority... two years ago the overwhelming majority of fans would have preferred Shaka over CRB. Near unanimous. If the question is as of today which coach is preferred, CRB has closed the gap and possibly owns the majority.

Reactions: 2 people
That's not what I asked, if I said we could coaches/roster with Auburn, would you?

I like our roster and Barnes is over achieving so far.
I am a little concerned about our 2017 class.
Land Walker or Pons or both and we'll be in good shape.
We'll see.

Obviously, RB still has a lot left in the tank. He is a outstanding game coach. I really don't like his recruiting methods, but it's working so what do I know.

If you don't think Smart will have Texas back to elite status sooner than later, then you're fooling yourself.

So, I would trade 60 year old RB for 39 year old SM

I think that's very much up in the air. Texas men's basketball is not a blue blood program by a long shot. Between 1980-1998, Texas only made the NCAA tournament 8 out of 19 seasons. During the 17 season tenure of Rick Barnes, they made the NCAA tournament 16 times including their only final four appearance in 2003. Jmo, but I think that after Smart's tenure is over, people will appreciate the job Barnes did there even more... just like what's happening for Mack Brown following the mess Charlie Strong left behind.

Reactions: 1 person
All these side comments about Barnes' age....62 is not exactly ancient.

Nick Saban is going to be 66. You don't hear bammers making noise about him holding down the fort a couple more years before handing over the reins to a younger guy.

VN Store

Back