Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?

I don't know that there is a better fit for our program at this time. First of all I wish we would have pulled a coach of his level and style when we let buzz Peterson go. Rick was a safe hire for a program that was experiencing turmoil outside the lines of the court. A program that had seen much instability that needed a solid and stable figure on the sidelines. Tennessee met those requirements when they hired coach Barnes. However, what they didn't realize from a basketball perspective, we hired a guy that could evaluate talent and go after guys that we could realistically land in our program at that time who stilll had the potential under the development of rick barnes to overachieve and have an imeadiate impact. This coach is something we have never seen at UT a basketball coach that can not only coach and recruit but can succeed with freshman 3 star players. Imagine if we would have hired him 8 years ago and watched him develop the top recruits in the country these past 3-4 years. This guy can flat out develope players and teach them to play the game to the point they will beat teams they are under matched against. The longer he stays the more we will see that. Barnes will develop kids regardless of their rating and if he stays long enough to recruit top prospects, look out.

I can not agree more. UT hoops fans are very slowly beginning to appreciate a great coach that pretty much fell into our lap. Thank god Dave H had sense enough to grab him when he heard he was out at Tejas. Good on us! :)

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know that there is a better fit for our program at this time. First of all I wish we would have pulled a coach of his level and style when we let buzz Peterson go. Rick was a safe hire for a program that was experiencing turmoil outside the lines of the court. A program that had seen much instability that needed a solid and stable figure on the sidelines. Tennessee met those requirements when they hired coach Barnes. However, what they didn't realize from a basketball perspective, we hired a guy that could evaluate talent and go after guys that we could realistically land in our program at that time who stilll had the potential under the development of rick barnes to overachieve and have an imeadiate impact. This coach is something we have never seen at UT a basketball coach that can not only coach and recruit but can succeed with freshman 3 star players. Imagine if we would have hired him 8 years ago and watched him develop the top recruits in the country these past 3-4 years. This guy can flat out develope players and teach them to play the game to the point they will beat teams they are under matched against. The longer he stays the more we will see that. Barnes will develop kids regardless of their rating and if he stays long enough to recruit top prospects, look out.

I disagree on one point. Bruce was the right guy after we fired Buzz. I didn't like the way it ended with Bruce but his success at UT enabled us to hire a proven coach like Barnes.

One, why you attacking my post when I'm over here praising Barnes? You act like I just said we should can Barnes due to his age. Two, almost every coach on that list is a better recruiter than Barnes. Moreover, no one is in here saying we need to find a coach in the waiting because Barnes has limited time. Facts are, Barnes doesn't want to hit the recruiting trail due to his age. He simply is here to close the deal, and unfortunately UT doesn't recruit itself for great basketball players. You can't even argue this because his assistant coaches are on record saying Barnes doesn't feel the need to travel 24-7 to recruit.

On top of all that, over 2/3 of those coaches you mentioned are hall of fame coaches at big time basketball schools. Truth is, no one knows how long Barnes wants to coach for, but once you hit the 60s mark people start to ask that question. On top of that, Barnes has to work about three times harder than most those coaches you mentioned to get talent here, and like I said, UT doesn't recruit big time basketball players here usually.

You are saying something is a fact which is not a fact. You've also embellished what was said. The assistant coach said that he (the assistant coach) believes that Barnes "has earned the right" to send his long time assistants on the road to handle the early phases of evaluating and traveling to see recruits. He isn't on record saying that "Barnes doesn't feel the need to travel 24-7 to recruit".

Reactions: 1 person
Smart is a good young coach. I'm not sure Texas is a good fit for him culturally, but at least he is in Austin. There is no way he enjoys chatting with porcine oil and gas boosters at that school. He and his wife were very happy at VCU, in Richmond, but of course he couldn't turn down the big money and big school opportunity at texas. We'll see. They are struggling this year.

Barnes, meanwhile, has been great. I thought he was a recruiter who was a meh coach, but he's proving me wrong.

I disagree on one point. Bruce was the right guy after we fired Buzz. I didn't like the way it ended with Bruce but his success at UT enabled us to hire a proven coach like Barnes.

I don't entirely agree. Yes, his success helped, but "enabled" is being generous. His failures had an opposite effect and the ensuing dumpster fire made hiring a proven coach a bigger challenge. IMO, It's kind of a wash that Pearl had on-court success, but also damaged TN's program and reputation. Cuonzo was the best hire that TN managed and he was a mid-major coach that had, IIRC, never been to the NCAAT. TN hired Kevin O'Neill after Houston failed and KO was arguably the best available, upwardly tracking, Sweet 16 coach in the country. TN's facilities, boosters, fans, funding, and history of success dating back to at least the 1940s also "enabled TN to a proven coach like Barnes".

Remember when Smart's name was rumored for almost every opening? I know the Longhorns are young, but they also have good talent yet they're sitting at 8-13 and losing to Texas Tech at home tonight.

Yea, I think I'd trade

Amy+Smart+Hot-01.jpg

Smart is a good young coach. I'm not sure Texas is a good fit for him culturally, but at least he is in Austin. There is no way he enjoys chatting with porcine oil and gas boosters at that school. He and his wife were very happy at VCU, in Richmond, but of course he couldn't turn down the big money and big school opportunity at texas. We'll see. They are struggling this year.

Barnes, meanwhile, has been great. I thought he was a recruiter who was a meh coach, but he's proving me wrong.

I think that Smart will be fine at Texas. He's hit a bump in the road, but the Big 12 is a great conference and a huge step up from his previous competition. I also think that Smart would be a good fit at TN... maybe in a weird twist of fate he could end up following Barnes to TN in a few years. I'm cool with either at TN. Barnes might be a better fit at UT in this early phase of rebuilding the program. He has considerably more experience and has won at 4 other programs.

Spot on. No question in my mind he was the right(best) coach at the right time. There's a peculiar calm around the Men's basketball program I haven't felt in a long time. It's a sense that we're on the right track and his plan is the right plan. I think Barnes has earned virtually everyone's respect; players, coaches, administration, and fans.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't entirely agree. Yes, his success helped, but "enabled" is being generous. His failures had an opposite effect and the ensuing dumpster fire made hiring a proven coach a bigger challenge. IMO, It's kind of a wash that Pearl had on-court success, but also damaged TN's program and reputation. Cuonzo was the best hire that TN managed and he was a mid-major coach that had, IIRC, never been to the NCAAT. TN hired Kevin O'Neill after Houston failed and KO was arguably the best available, upwardly tracking, Sweet 16 coach in the country. TN's facilities, boosters, fans, funding, and history of success dating back to at least the 1940s also "enabled TN to a proven coach like Barnes".

If you go from the time Barnes started his high level assistant/head coaching career (mid 80s) to 2005, UT basketball (other than a short Jerry Green run) was not good. That was an entire generation of basketball. Pearl's success provided a current example that the right coach could win huge in Knoxville. A current example carries much more weight than from the 70s. The dumpster fire, IMO, really did not start until the Tyndall fiasco. Martin had talent, it just took him 2.5 years to finally realize how to use it. UT only got O'Neill since he wore his welcome out at Marquette due to his attitude and it was the best position open at the time.

I admit that I may have oversold Bruce's impact but it, IMO, helped sell Barnes that the right coach could and has recently won big in Knoxville.

You are saying something is a fact which is not a fact. You've also embellished what was said. The assistant coach said that he (the assistant coach) believes that Barnes "has earned the right" to send his long time assistants on the road to handle the early phases of evaluating and traveling to see recruits. He isn't on record saying that "Barnes doesn't feel the need to travel 24-7 to recruit".

Barnes doesn't want to travel to recruit man. Period. You can sugarcoat it all you want but he's not a great recruiter. It's why he is no longer at Texas. Doesn't make him a bad coach, heck he's probably the best floor coach we have ever had. However, his assistant coaches are sugarcoating the fact that Barnes is a closer not a traveler. It is what it is. Doesn't mean he wont travel when needed, but that's not his calling card.

If you go from the time Barnes started his high level assistant/head coaching career (mid 80s) to 2005, UT basketball (other than a short Jerry Green run) was not good. That was an entire generation of basketball. Pearl's success provided a current example that the right coach could win huge in Knoxville. A current example carries much more weight than from the 70s. The dumpster fire, IMO, really did not start until the Tyndall fiasco. Martin had talent, it just took him 2.5 years to finally realize how to use it. UT only got O'Neill since he wore his welcome out at Marquette due to his attitude and it was the best position open at the time.

I admit that I may have oversold Bruce's impact but it, IMO, helped sell Barnes that the right coach could and has recently won big in Knoxville.

This is the first I've ever heard that O'Neill "wore his welcome out at Marquette due to his attitude". What is your source?

Obviously, RB still has a lot left in the tank. He is a outstanding game coach. I really don't like his recruiting methods, but it's working so what do I know.

If you don't think Smart will have Texas back to elite status sooner than later, then you're fooling yourself.

So, I would trade 60 year old RB for 39 year old SM

Well you said yourself a coach gets 2 years, Shaka is gonna struggle to win 15 games this year, so he should be fired by your standards, no?

Well you said yourself a coach gets 2 years, Shaka is gonna struggle to win 15 games this year, so he should be fired by your standards, no?
No, because he won 20 last year and went to the show.
Most people there understand he's grooming young players and has a top 10 class coming in next season with the PG he needs.

No, because he won 20 last year and went to the show.
Most people there understand he's grooming young players and has a top 10 class coming in next season with the PG he needs.

So no dance next year and he should be fired? He had two Year 1's, is that what you're saying? Or he won with Barnes guys and is losing with his guys?

I wouldn't fire him after 2 seasons, Vol30 said he would fire Barnes after this season, so I was asking if he'd fire Smart after 2 seasons as well?

And I said no because he has a top 10 class coming in.
I don't think we'd have one dissenter if we had a top 10 class coming in for 2017.
What's our 2017 class ranked?

Barnes is a solid floor coach, and his staff are unreal talent developers. My only issues with Barnes are his recruiting and age. We have to recruit post players better. Could you imagine if we had just one skilled 6'8" or bigger post player to go along with this team? In the end, I really appreciate what Barnes is doing for us. I think Barnes is a solid coach, and I think we'd be fools to even think about another coach until Barnes says it's time to hang em up.

Watching this team play, to me finding a 6"8" or better that fits could be hard to find. Don't know how many are around year to year. Given time and success at UT, I think he will find those kind of guys who will be willing to come.

Shaka's Freshman class (2016) was rated #5 according to 247 - (1) 5 star and (3) 4 stars - The Sophomore class (2015) was ranked #17 according to 247 - (3) 4 stars.... Its hard to defend Shaka Smart with their current record of 9-13 and the strength of schedule around 20. Between the last 2 signing classes he has 7 players rated 4 star or above....

I don't think we'd have one dissenter if we had a top 10 class coming in for 2017.

So you'd prefer to be in Auburn's shoes? I don't give a crap what a class is ranked if you're winning, maybe root for Johnny Jones and LSU?

This is the first I've ever heard that O'Neill "wore his welcome out at Marquette due to his attitude". What is your source?

O'Neill has always had the reputation of being hard to get along with. He essentially lost the chance to coach Arizona since he couldn't get along with Lute Olsen and the administration out there. The way it was explained to me (from someone who worked with the Grizzlies the same time that O'Neill was there as well as a Memphis booster..they used to be in same conference as Marquette) was that O'Neill never got along with the administration at Marquette and that he was looking for the chance to get out due to a working environment that he didn't enjoy. Obviously this isn't first hand knowledge so take it with a grain of salt but his career path gives some credence to those comments. Marquette is a religious school and let's just say O'Neill could make a sailor blush. It may be something with the administration at Marquette since Buzz Williams did the same thing several years back by moving down to take a job at V-Tech (Gary Parrish of CBS Sports has reported that).

Hard to evaluate Smart vs. Barnes unless we could somehow see how far Smart would have gotten us with the same roster we have now. Also hard to overlook their relative ages.

VN Store

Back