Barnes is about to be 3-0 vs Pearl

I loved Pearll when he was here and what he did for Tennessee basketball, but now I love beating him

I still have a soft spot for Pearl but there is no way he's ever wearing orange again. All that is crazy talk.

Yes all those star gazers woe is me look at what Bruce is doing signing all those undisciplined 4 star while Ricks misfit 3 star running circles around them on how to play the game.

Reactions: 1 person
Our very young team of 3* players (and hubbs 5*) beat Pearls 4 and 5* players. I would like to see how far we could go with Pearls recruits.

Our very young team of 3* players (and hubbs 5*) beat Pearls 4 and 5* players. I would like to see how far we could go with Pearls recruits.

I like ours. Yes they are athletic (Auburn) but do not play with basketball IQ. But yes they do have one or two you would like to see if you could coach them up.

System fits, system fits, system fits.

Trust your own scouting, recruit players who fit your system, recruit kids who know how to win, recruit kids who will buy in and stick around. Stars be damned.

Reactions: 2 people
I said in another thread a few days ago that I believe we are witnessing the first Final 4 TN team developing before our eyes.

Reactions: 3 people
I recognize the progress coach Barnes has brought, and it's been fun even in losses watching the boys in orange being competitive as in the North Carolina game. But I sometimes wonder had coach Pearl been able to run a clean program with his recruiting and enthusiasm, his connections with the national commentators how far the Vols BB would have gone under him.

I said in another thread a few days ago that I believe we are witnessing the first Final 4 TN team developing before our eyes.
Calm down. What Barnes has done with this team has been absolutely phenomenal. They are playing some great bball right now. However, they are still a ways from even being a Sweet 16 team. Pray that they make the tournament and anything beyond that is a blessing.

I recognize the progress coach Barnes has brought, and it's been fun even in losses watching the boys in orange being competitive as in the North Carolina game. But I sometimes wonder had coach Pearl been able to run a clean program with his recruiting and enthusiasm, his connections with the national commentators how far the Vols BB would have gone under him.

An Elite Eight

Reactions: 2 people

Just let it go, friend. That ship has sailed and Bruce won't be back.

After Lofton and J. Smith graduated, I thought that Pearl's TN offenses were pretty lame. Take away Weezy, Smith, and Harris and they were very lame.

Auburn's offense looked horrible last night. No structure, no discipline, and jacking up a ton of wild 3s.

I thought that the end of Pearl's tenure at TN was painful to watch. The shine was off of his act. Glad that he got us to #1 for one weekly poll, the EE, the SEC championship, and 6 NCAATs, but I'm also glad that he's no longer the TN coach.

I think if you look at Auburn you'll see where we would be if Pearl ran a clean program. That's where his recruiting and enthusiasm has gotten them. We've got a real X's and O's coach now and I can't wait to see how far he can get us.

I love Bruce, but this is some of the best, well rounded basketball we have seen from our Vols in ages.

Can't deny what CRB is accomplishing at UT. Great hire! He's gonna put UT BB back on the map. I don't think I've ever seen a stretch where a UT team has done more with less! This is going to be a good team as they grow, mature, and as Barnes recruits!

I dug up the Barnes v Pearl history.

0-1 Dec 2005: TN 95-78 in Austin. Texas was ranked #6.

0-2 Dec 2006: TN 111-105 (OT) in Knoxville. Neither team was ranked.

1-2 Nov 2007: TX 97-78 in Newark, NJ. TN was ranked #7, TX was #15. One of only 5 losses by TN in 2007-08. That was a crushing defeat for Pearl and TN. Had TN won that game they would have been 17-0 going to Rupp on Jan 22, 2008. Good chance that TN would have had the #1 ranking in just Pearl's 3rd year at TN.

1-3 TN lost at Auburn last year.

2-3 TN best Auburn in Knoxville last year.

3-3 TN beat Auburn in the SECT last year.

4-3 TN beat Auburn last night.

Barnes is 4-1 versus Pearl since Pearl's 2nd season at TN.

Last edited:
I think if you look at Auburn you'll see where we would be if Pearl ran a clean program. That's where his recruiting and enthusiasm has gotten them. We've got a real X's and O's coach now and I can't wait to see how far he can get us.

Bball has a staff of coaches, not a singe coach. Don't you think its possible that if CBP's strength is recruiting and enthusiasm that he can surround himself with strong X and O's assistants? Likewise, can't CRB employee assistants who are stronger on the recruiting side?

Like yourself I've been very impressed with the level of improvement of the players since CRB arrived. If CRB doesn't sign some quality bigs over 6'-4", then there's a ceiling against the top tier competition that he will never consistently get past.

CBP better find some solid assistants as it was clear to me he had the more "talented" group on the floor but they sure didn't appear to be playing as a cohesive unit.

VN Store

Back