Watson admits "pick" on final play

The assumes that the picking player is psychic and can be absolutely certain that the outside DB isn't going to roll to the slot receiver as he comes outside.

None of this is to say that it mattered. Clemson had already run the same play in that same spot on the field and the refs didn't call it. You can't just pray that the refs will call it the next time. Bring a safety* over for help. The play could have been defended.

*safety should not be Ronnie Harrison, who was more worthless than a sack of crap last nite.

What is the difference between a crossing WR "picking" and a DB jamming him? How can you tell who is doing what? The ref would also need to be psychic to know if the over man was supposed to get open in the middle or he's running a pick.

What is the difference between a crossing WR "picking" and a DB jamming him? How can you tell who is doing what? The ref would also need to be psychic to know if the over man was supposed to get open in the middle or he's running a pick.

On the second one, the WR made absolutely no attempt to run a route. The DB stepped up to jam him and he threw a textbook roll block. That doesn't require an any assumption on the part of the refs.

But again, Bama had every reason to know that play was coming and they didn't take steps to defend it.

On the second one, the WR made absolutely no attempt to run a route. The DB stepped up to jam him and he threw a textbook roll block. That doesn't require an any assumption on the part of the refs.

But again, Bama had every reason to know that play was coming and they didn't take steps to defend it.
I font know why they wouldn't just grab all the WRs and take the flag in that situation.

I font know why they wouldn't just grab all the WRs and take the flag in that situation.

Probably should have. Clemson still might have gone for the win, but had they kicked the FG I imagine they would have won in OT.

On that last play Watson would have strolled in untouched if the DB's held every receiver. Bama has 66 plays. Clemson 99. C'mon Clemson was the better team by a lot.

Bammer didn't get screwed by the refs. This is the worst screw job by officials in the history of college football. Cry harder Bammer homers. It looks good on you. LOL!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5611L20Mls[/youtube]

My take - the receiver engaged the DB, the DB then wrapped up the receiver and they both moved backwards. By the time the ball was in the air the DB had the receiver wrapped. The other DB took the long way around.

Initial contact may have been squirrely but it wasn't much different than the DB jamming the receiver. Once the DB wrapped is arms around the receiver all bets were off IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people
My take - the receiver engaged the DB, the DB then wrapped up the receiver and they both moved backwards. By the time the ball was in the air the DB had the receiver wrapped. The other DB took the long way around.

Initial contact may have been squirrely but it wasn't much different than the DB jamming the receiver. Once the DB wrapped is arms around the receiver all bets were off IMHO.

Thats the way I saw it. The DB set up to (and succeeded) jam the the inside route. He wasn't breaking to the outside route and got blocked or picked on the way. He was as much to fault for the contact as the WR was. Once he engaged. the WR essentially just fell to the ground.

Say what you want but that was a legal play. There is an art to doing it and it was great. Bring on the Bama babies crying that it was a penalty.

To expound, the WR runs a slant to the inside, the DB moves into his path. The WR is not required to yield to or avoid the DB moving into his path. The WR has the right to run his route, signal for, and attempt to catch the ball if it is thrown to him. [NCG, the WR folded up like a towel upon physically encountering the DB, inadvertently impeding his progress.] Meanwhile the slot receiver runs up to the endzone and turns out towards the side. [NCG, the DB to that side engaged the WR; together they impeded the DB to the opposite side from picking up the slot receiver.] This is not a deliberate pick play. It is intended to confuse the DBs and allow for separation. Many times the play has been run without the WR colliding with a DB. [NCG, the play worked in part because of the one DB's election to engage the WR]

Didn't have a problem with the pick play, but how they got on the 2 was a little BS. The penalty on Williams was initiated on the 2 yard line instead of the endzone, thus the penalty should have been half the distance, which would have put them on about the 5 or 6 and made that pick play a lot harder to pull off.

Everybody does it. Glad it happened to Bammer. I call it even after all the Bama PI calls they got away with along with the 3 or 4 free time outs they got from the refs every time Clemson caught a pass.

The exact same play Ala beat LSU with in 2014.. It's definitely a legal play.

Bammer didn't get screwed by the refs. This is the worst screw job by officials in the history of college football. Cry harder Bammer homers. It looks good on you. LOL!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5611L20Mls[/youtube]

No matter how many times I watch this I get just as pi$$ed as the day it happened.

VN Store

Back