New OC???

Caleb59seal

I have seen an article on 247 that says it might be over but I couldn't read it all because I don't have a membership. Does anyone know anything about it?

Gottcha. So nothing is "confirmed" as of yet right? Does it give any specifics as of why they suspect LS

It also says Thig and Martinez are trying to get out because they didnt mesh with Shoop.

That article is a click bate .. I dont have access but I asked a friend who has and he said the same thing as VOLfrombama said. It says 'we believe that Larry Scott is getting the promotion. It would be surprising if he didn't'.

Reactions: 1 person
We need to keep Thig... Martinez not so worried about.... Seems odd to hire Larry Scott.... It makes since from a longevity standpoint but all we can do is wait and see... Don't know much about him... Anything about a QB coach?

So if Butch is just going to do Coach Scott, why take so long to announce? He is not going to get a big bounce from this. If that's his plan just get it over with.

So if Butch is just going to do Coach Scott, why take so long to announce? He is not going to get a big bounce from this. If that's his plan just get it over with.

With our recruiting class essentially full and too late for this Hire to sway anybody (not that it would) might as well make the call after NSD. I think the same is true with Thig. I hope Shoop gets his assistants because our defense has to be better.

Edit: also, maybe Butch is still working on some other people, more desirable OCs. The AD situation is tough for Butch Jones to explain away.

Last edited:

It gives the appearance of actually vetting other candidates

You remember Butch said he couldnt answer all the texts from people interested in the open OC position(BS)

Reactions: 3 people

To make himself look important and continue to act like people were blowing his phone up to come work with him.

Well Butch, thanks for turning our program around...wish you all the best after 2017 season

Look at all these experts already convinced that Larry Scott will be a failure. These are the same geniuses who still criticize DeBord after he oversaw one of the most productive offenses in UT history.

Here's a question for all of you: why would any "big name" coordinators agree to coach at a program with such irrationally critical fans?

Reactions: 14 people
Trying to get out? Are they in a maze? Shoop needs to catapult that entire defensive staff over the wall. What a joke

Agreed and if there was dissension in the coaching staff, no wonder there was dissension among the players as well.

chop off the arm before the poison spreads

I think if most people set back and really look at the past season a few things will stand out. The first few game's of the season the offense was very inconsistant to say the least. Predictable would be an understatement and very vanilla. The same can be said for the defense as well not really a lot to get thrilled about. Most of that has to do with talent development. You can't call what they can't do.

Dobbs as great of a leader and runner as he was could not be counted on to throw the ball down field on a regular and accurate basis.

Recievers can't catch it if the ball is 10 ft over their heads.

Herd was not the type of back to run in the system they have used. Power back with lead blocker yes, turn the corner and make people miss no.

Offensive line wounded or not is not quick and athletic enough to run a zone blocking scheme and not coached up well enough to do that even if they were.

Defensive line was the walking wounded and with that being said might need to get tougher and stronger.

Linebackers two starters good both get hurt......what was left slow for scheme.

D backs moments of good and then moments of terrible.

With all that being said if we could have stopped somebody and I mean anybody we would only have lost ONE game. With an OC that was working with a swim team or whatever in Mich. That is stunning.

Offensive scheme works, it scores points but you will not win if you score 50 and the other team scores 51.

I am not a Butch fan, I hate his cliches as much as the next guy. I think he is a control freak with his system and may be to head strong to change. But look around people ALL 4 OF THE COACHES IN THE PLAYOFFS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

I hope that whom ever is hired does a great job and we win every game by 50 but every coach has a system, a system that they are comfortable with and one that who ever they hire has got to buy into that system as well. Time will tell and maybe it will be THIS TIME.

Go Vols

Reactions: 6 people
Look at all these experts already convinced that Larry Scott will be a failure. These are the same geniuses who still criticize DeBord after he oversaw one of the most productive offenses in UT history.

Here's a question for all of you: why would any "big name" coordinators agree to coach at a program with such irrationally critical fans?

They wouldn't apparently based on the first impression Jones is making on them.

VN Store

Back