Are Yoi Watching Lady Vol Coaching Staff

They are beating the no. 20th ranked team by 60! If they played us--a team with 5 highly rated prospects has starters--it would also be an extended practice.

Reactions: 9 people
They are beating the no. 20th ranked team by 60! If they played us--a team with 5 highly rated prospects has starters--it would also be an extended practice.

That would be called a difference in coaching philosophies, still extended practice, yes, but for different reasons.

That would be called a difference in coaching philosophies, still extended practice, yes, but for different reasons.

Several teams have the talent to beat UCONN, but I think they have an excellent chance to win in all again. The only thing that may change that is if they lose a key starter to injury.

On paper South Carolina has a good shot, but so did Baylor, Maryland, etc.

Reactions: 2 people
Several teams have the talent to beat UCONN, but I think they have an excellent chance to win in all again. The only thing that may change that is if they lose a key starter to injury.

On paper South Carolina has a good shot, but so did Baylor, Maryland, etc.

It's not like UConn blew out Baylor, MD or ND either. They are the favorite to win it all, but there are at least 4 teams that can detail them on any given day...unlike last year.

Reactions: 5 people

You are stating the problem with WCBB except for schools like UCONN, ND, Baylor, SC, Stanford and maybe Maryland. They either have good coaching but a lack of player talent or they have poor coaching but good talent or they have both poor coaching and a lack of talent. The overwhelming majority of WCBB teams fall in the first and third categories. A good example of the first case is Wes Moore of NC State. He could compete with Geno if he had the player talent that Holly has now and will have next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
People are very impatient for things to change in WCBB and the reality is that nationwide change takes quite a while. Pat and a few others started that change by creating programs that generated their own fan bases overlapping but separate from the FB and MCBB programs, and generated revenue. Geno and a few other programs followed while a few of the early programs fell by the wayside. In the last fifteen years the expansion of programs that 'matter' with fan bases and revenue and university support has expanded significantly, and in maybe the last 5-7 years you are beginning to see WCBB coaches fired for performance related issues which really almost never happened before - coaches that got in trouble were dismissed, but it was not based on performance. It is still not anything like the FB or MCBB performance standards, but more alumni are making noise when the WCBB team isn't performing and more ADs are bowing to pressure to make changes. There are still too many who are complacent about the performance but it is changing. I expect that the change will pick up some more momentum over the next five years as well.

Situations like JPM at Duke being extended sort of pro-forma and really Holly at TN as well will be rarer. More coaches will be asked to prove their worth with on court results prior to their contracts being rolled over just for not creating scandals.

There is a lot more talent in the college coaching ranks than there was 15 years ago. The sport is changing for the better. And the talent is being dispersed more than it was 15 years ago as well. You can see it happening in the Pac12 dramatically, and the SEC is likely more competitive than it has been for a while too. But great programs take some time to build - TN didn't transform the day Pat was hired, nor did Uconn the day Geno was.

Reactions: 8 people
You are stating the problem with WCBB except for schools like UCONN, ND, Baylor, SC, Stanford and maybe Maryland. They either have good coaching but a lack of player talent or they have poor coaching but good talent or they have both poor coaching and a lack of talent. The overwhelming majority of WCBB teams fall in the first and third categories. A good example of the first case is Wes Moore of NC State. He could compete with Geno if he had the player talent that Holly has now and will have next year.

Hopefully Holly won't be here next year. I'd love to see what Kim Mulkey could do with that talent.

Hopefully Holly won't be here next year. I'd love to see what Kim Mulkey could do with that talent.

Holly will not be fired this year and Mulkey is in the hot bed of recruiting in The state of Texas. Would love to see the NC state coach at Tennessee.

I only saw a few minutes of this game, in the 2nd half after anything was long decided. What impressed me was how UCon played every single possession. They were up 50+ and they came away with every single 50/50 - often diving on the floor or ending up in a photog's lap.
Let's face it you don't see that in a lot of teams.

Reactions: 3 people
People are very impatient for things to change in WCBB and the reality is that nationwide change takes quite a while. Pat and a few others started that change by creating programs that generated their own fan bases overlapping but separate from the FB and MCBB programs, and generated revenue. Geno and a few other programs followed while a few of the early programs fell by the wayside. In the last fifteen years the expansion of programs that 'matter' with fan bases and revenue and university support has expanded significantly, and in maybe the last 5-7 years you are beginning to see WCBB coaches fired for performance related issues which really almost never happened before - coaches that got in trouble were dismissed, but it was not based on performance. It is still not anything like the FB or MCBB performance standards, but more alumni are making noise when the WCBB team isn't performing and more ADs are bowing to pressure to make changes. There are still too many who are complacent about the performance but it is changing. I expect that the change will pick up some more momentum over the next five years as well.

Situations like JPM at Duke being extended sort of pro-forma and really Holly at TN as well will be rarer. More coaches will be asked to prove their worth with on court results prior to their contracts being rolled over just for not creating scandals.

There is a lot more talent in the college coaching ranks than there was 15 years ago. The sport is changing for the better. And the talent is being dispersed more than it was 15 years ago as well. You can see it happening in the Pac12 dramatically, and the SEC is likely more competitive than it has been for a while too. But great programs take some time to build - TN didn't transform the day Pat was hired, nor did Uconn the day Geno was.

Your premise assumes that women's basketball remains the 3rd most popular sport in the college athletic portfolio. I'm not sure that is guaranteed.

UConn's SOS (Massey) has been #1 over the 90 game run. In fact their SOS has been tops in the country for the last 10 years or more. Do you think UT would do any better than ranked USF?

The real problem is that in D1 basketball there are but a handful of good teams and 300+ teams that belong in DIII.

Don't want to be nasty but WGAS. When you are in a league of cupcakes where you are 100 times better than the competition, it is called extended practice.
Was going to leave this stinker alone but just can't do it. One, you play in the SEC so I will have to straight up admit you would know an awful lot about cupcakes. You have SC and that's it. No other team comes even close to contending. MS? Oh my god. I can't laugh anymore about that. If ever you want an example of the problems with the rankings we use look no further.

As for, "extended practice" it's long been known that UConn players look forward to games if for no other reason that they're shorter and easier than practices. Their players have been saying that for a few decades now and judging from results I see no reason to think the process has changed.

For the record I lament your coaching situation, I really do. Holly is loyal to the bone. Pat picked her and I can't see her willingly stepping aside even if she wanted to. She was chosen and until someone higher up relieves her she's going to carry out her orders. Anyone who cares about the women's college game wants to see as many good, no, great teams on the floor as there can be. That's just good for everyone. But my sympathy doesn't extend to snide little remarks like, "wgas" coming from a coach, no less. They're going to extend that win streak quite a bit further this year until someone or the season stops them. This is something no one has done, not even Summit. You don't have to like it, not even sure that I like it, but the fact remains that it's a BFD. Get your coach, load up your bench and put up or sit back and enjoy the spectacle but at least have the good grace to keep your crap in a pot under the bed.

:eek:lol:Lady Vols continually have 15 or more turnovers per game with DeShields having usually 5 or more per game. This has been happening for the past two years, yet the Lady Vols coaching staff does absolutely nothing toward stopping turnovers!!!!!!!!! Mississippi State made 10 steals against the Lady Vols because they concentrated on making those steals. We had 19 turnovers and Mississippi State make 12 point from them...we lost the game by 10 points. If we had guarded the ball better and made only half the turnovers, Lady Vols would have won the game. It's time the coaches got off their fat a.....s and did something about stolen balls, turnovers and concentration on stealing balls from opponents. I have no conficence that anything will be done....SOS for the next game!!!!!!:eek:lol:

Last edited:

Kim Mulkey will be 55 years old in a couple months and her reported salary is over $1 million dollars and total compensation package is worth a reported $10 million.

IMO there is zero chance of her ever being at UT.

ON EDIT: I see that Mulkey's deal expires in 2017 so by golly the timing sure is right. Get her here. :dance2:

Last edited:
For every Saban, there will eventually be a Sweeney.

For Pat, it was Geno.
For Geno, there will be someone......eventually, but not in the foreseeable future.

I can't stand the man, but have to hand it to him - the product he puts on the floor year after year is amazing.

Reactions: 1 person
Was going to leave this stinker alone but just can't do it. One, you play in the SEC so I will have to straight up admit you would know an awful lot about cupcakes. You have SC and that's it. No other team comes even close to contending. MS? Oh my god. I can't laugh anymore about that. If ever you want an example of the problems with the rankings we use look no further.

As for, "extended practice" it's long been known that UConn players look forward to games if for no other reason that they're shorter and easier than practices. Their players have been saying that for a few decades now and judging from results I see no reason to think the process has changed.

For the record I lament your coaching situation, I really do. Holly is loyal to the bone. Pat picked her and I can't see her willingly stepping aside even if she wanted to. She was chosen and until someone higher up relieves her she's going to carry out her orders. Anyone who cares about the women's college game wants to see as many good, no, great teams on the floor as there can be. That's just good for everyone. But my sympathy doesn't extend to snide little remarks like, "wgas" coming from a coach, no less. They're going to extend that win streak quite a bit further this year until someone or the season stops them. This is something no one has done, not even Summit. You don't have to like it, not even sure that I like it, but the fact remains that it's a BFD. Get your coach, load up your bench and put up or sit back and enjoy the spectacle but at least have the good grace to keep your crap in a pot under the bed.

'...Holly is loyal to the bone'. You got any proof of this? :)

I knew the streak was boring the sports world but I didn't know UConn fans were bored too.

You all should be happy.

Is this the only place UConn fans can get any competition?

If you want to brag on UCONN and put down the SEC and especially Lady Vols there's a place called the BONEYARD that you are well aware of. Go post there.

VN Store

Back