All SEC teams have an overall winning record

NoBackBoard

I just looked at the WCBB conference standings and was plesantly surprised to discover that the SEC is the only Division 1 conference that can boast all its teams hold overall winning records at this point in the season.

Standings
TEAM CONF OVERALL
Mississippi State 3-0 17-0
South Carolina 3-0 13-1
Alabama 2-1 14-2
LSU 2-1 13-3
Texas A&M 2-1 12-4
Auburn 2-1 12-5
Tennessee 2-1 10-5
Georgia 2-1 10-6
Ole Miss 1-2 12-4
Missouri 1-2 11-6
Kentucky 1-2 10-6
Arkansas 0-3 11-5
Vanderbilt 0-3 10-6
Florida 0-3 9-7

The ACC and Pac 12 were close but Boston College (ACC) and Washington State (Pac 12) have 8-8 records.

The SEC has an RPI of 0.6029, leading all conferences other than the Pac 12 (0.6114).

Just wanted to congratulate all the coaches and warm us up a little during the cold. Everyone stay warm!

Reactions: 3 people
gonna be real interesting down the stretch...who's got the legs and the bench to make a run (Kentucky doesn't count)...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

It's all about national championships. How many of those teams have a shot at winning it all this year? How many SEC teams will be in this year's final four?

It's all about national championships. How many of those teams have a shot at winning it all this year? How many SEC teams will be in this year's final four?

For me it's never been about national championships. I like the experience of watching the players grow and learn. I like the game experience - eating popcorn, talking to your seatmate, yelling at the ref. I like watching a well played and a hard fought victory. The sum total of all this means something to me. Championships are nice but they aren't the be-all and end-all for me. I enjoy the process.

Reactions: 2 people

South Carolina is easily one of the favorites to make the Final Four...probably along with UConn, Baylor, Maryland and Notre Dame as the main contenders.

I'm not sure how good MSU is yet. The game against SC will be telling. If they keep it competitive in the regular season as well as the SECT, they should firmly be in the 2nd tier along with FSU, OSU, Louisville, Duke, Washington and maybe Texas.

Reactions: 1 person
South Carolina is easily one of the favorites to make the Final Four...probably along with UConn, Baylor, Maryland and Notre Dame as the main contenders.

I agree with South Carolina. I think they have a better chance this season than Notre Dame. Mississippi State is ranked #4, but I don't see them making the final four this year.

I like watching a well played and a hard fought victory.

Unfortunately, not too many games are well played. When I watch two teams shoot in the low/mid 30% range, have more turnovers than assists, and commit 20+ fouls apiece, I want to grab a pair a knitting needles and poke my eyes out. Too many games in WCBB are ugly with a capital UGH! Each season, there are only a handful of teams that play quality basketball. And I find that especially surprising because there are so many talented players coming out of high school. The current crop of WCBB coaches does a very poor job of developing a team-first mentality and creating a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

For me it's never been about national championships. I like the experience of watching the players grow and learn. I like the game experience - eating popcorn, talking to your seatmate, yelling at the ref. I like watching a well played and a hard fought victory. The sum total of all this means something to me. Championships are nice but they aren't the be-all and end-all for me. I enjoy the process.

During Pat Summitt's reign it was all about making the Final Four and winning it.Every year that I went down to watch practice or attend any of the sessions with Pat ,that was her message to fans and players alike ....that was an absolute constant with her.

Reactions: 2 people
During Pat Summitt's reign it was all about making the Final Four and winning it.Every year that I went down to watch practice or attend any of the sessions with Pat ,that was her message to fans and players alike ....that was an absolute constant with her.

Welcome to the year 2017. Now it's all about everyone getting a participation trophy.

That was her - the coach. I was talking about me the fan. If I had been the coach that would have been my message also. What I said also probably has something to do with aging. Getting older makes me appreciate the things I spoke of.

of what the current UT women's basketball fan has become, and I don't say that to be mean. Our expectations have plummeted. You have to enjoy the process because that's all we've got anymore.

of what the current UT women's basketball fan has become, and I don't say that to be mean. Our expectations have plummeted. You have to enjoy the process because that's all we've got anymore.

I didn't "become" that. I was taught to not expect anything and to take the time to enjoy life as it happens. Expecting a championship and not enjoying anything else is like having a child and not enjoying it unless they become president or CEO or something. If you think that way - that's you. I enjoy the best I can what happens as it happens and if a championship happens well that's alright. But I'm not going to be miserable if it doesn't.

Reactions: 7 people
However, only two teams (South Carolina and Mississippi State) are ranked in the Top 25. I'd be interested to see how long ago it was where that few were in the Top 25 from the SEC. Tennessee had been a permanent fixture, but the coaching staff put an end to that. Vandy and UK were both frequently in the top 25. Lately, both South Carolina and TAM were in the Top 25. And, it wasn't uncommon for teams like Florida, Georgia, and Arkansas to make an appearance either.

However, only two teams (South Carolina and Mississippi State) are ranked in the Top 25. I'd be interested to see how long ago it was where that few were in the Top 25 from the SEC. Tennessee had been a permanent fixture, but the coaching staff put an end to that. Vandy and UK were both frequently in the top 25. Lately, both South Carolina and TAM were in the Top 25. And, it wasn't uncommon for teams like Florida, Georgia, and Arkansas to make an appearance either.

This is a very weak season for the SEC due to graduations, defections, injuries, recruiting misses or coaching issues (in Tennessee's case, all of the above).

Next season, I think we will see a more typical SEC representation in the Top 25. Tennessee, TAMU and UK should rejoin MSU and SC as top 25 staples.

VN Store

Back