Watson admits "pick" on final play

It was a pick. It should have been called. It was ridiculously bad.

As were the total of about 3 targeting calls, 4 or 5 PI penalties, another pick play TD, etc, etc, etc.

And these calls went both ways. I think Clemson was on the wrong side of most of them.

Too many things that you just can't let go even if you are "letting them play"

Jalen Hurts completion % really didn't help either. The only good play the O had late in the game was a blown coverage besides the last drive

Alabama has the refs in their pockets in 99% of games. It was refreshing to see them not get a call for once.

Reactions: 3 people
Pointing to the two pick plays as if they were the difference is like getting 100 paper cuts and then claiming that only two of them hurt.

Those plays might have made a difference but they were not the difference. The difference was that Clemson played better football.

:good!: classy!!!

Say what you want but that was a legal play. There is an art to doing it and it was great. Bring on the Bama babies crying that it was a penalty.

Exactly! Swinney schooled Saban. The DB came up and engaged the receiver making an inside move, which is legal up to and including 5 yards off the LOS. His engagement caused him to pick his own defensive player. The NFL does this by not engaging and making the switch to zones rather than man in that situation. This was AFTER they saw it once in the same game run successfully against them. LOL

In his on the field interview Watson said "we needed a good pick from . . . .and we got it"

I know picks are already outlawed, but do you think because it cost Bama do you foresee a rule change to focus on this play on the goal line?

Full disclosure: We, and I'm sure everybody else, run this same play on the goal line.

So he admitted they cheated to win. Priceless.

Exactly! Swinney schooled Saban. The DB came up and engaged the receiver making an inside move, which is legal up to and including 5 yards off the LOS. His engagement caused him to pick his own defensive player. The NFL does this by not engaging and making the switch to zones rather than man in that situation. This was AFTER they saw it once in the same game run successfully against them. LOL
Nobody plays straight up zone at the goal line. They might pay banjo or drop a linebacker or something, but things happen way too fast to not play some version of man.

Both picks were illegal and should have been called. But, alabama got away with some other stuff during the game.

In his on the field interview Watson said "we needed a good pick from . . . .and we got it"

I know picks are already outlawed, but do you think because it cost Bama do you foresee a rule change to focus on this play on the goal line?

Full disclosure: We, and I'm sure everybody else, run this same play on the goal line.

No idea how you get away with the same penalty twice in the last few minutes of the NCG. No need for a rule change, just don't put a crew of buffoons out there to call the game.

We as fans were robbed of OT

Nobody plays straight up zone at the goal line. They might pay banjo or drop a linebacker or something, but things happen way too fast to not play some version of man.
I agree you have to play man/banjo on their best guy, which would probably be Williams in that situation. But Dabo won a national championship against the defense you're requiring for 14 points, nuff said. How'd that work out for Saban? Nothing breeds contempt like success. lol

Yep. And when you re ultra aggressive jamming routes you are susceptible to "picks". The Bama DB initiated the contact that took him out of the play.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep. And when you re ultra aggressive jamming routes you are susceptible to "picks". The Bama DB initiated the contact that took him out of the play.

On the first one, that's true, and I didn't think that play was all that bad. He at least turned around and faked like he was looking for the throw. On the final TD the Clemson WR just flat out dove at Humphrey.

It was a pick. It should have been called. It was ridiculously bad.

As were the total of about 3 targeting calls, 4 or 5 PI penalties, another pick play TD, etc, etc, etc.

And these calls went both ways. I think Clemson was on the wrong side of most of them.

Too many things that you just can't let go even if you are "letting them play"

You do realize that he never picked the guy that was playing man coverage on the slot receiver don't you?

On the first one, that's true, and I didn't think that play was all that bad. He at least turned around and faked like he was looking for the throw. On the final TD the Clemson WR just flat out dove at Humphrey.

I didnt see an issue with last one either. The DB was squared up to the receiver to jam the route. If he was engaged in jumping the out WR and got picked I would see it different. His initial response was to the outside slant and jamming it.

Say what you want but that was a legal play. There is an art to doing it and it was great. Bring on the Bama babies crying that it was a penalty.

This. The play is only illegal if one of the receivers actually, physically blocks the DB off his man. On the game-ending play Bama's outside DB actually wrapped up his receiver and the inside receiver just ran underneath that little scrum into the clear. If there was illegal contact on that play it was by Bama's outside DB, not Clemson's outside receiver. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL!

Last edited:

Stop motion pictures do not show that at all, in fact stop motion shows the initial contact by Humphreys was a wrap around bear hug to which the receiver took a dive.It's physics, action, then reaction. lol

Isn't a pick taking away a man's defender? On the last TD the "picking" WR simply ran into his own defender, he didn't touch the slot CB.

Isn't a pick taking away a man's defender? On the last TD the "picking" WR simply ran into his own defender, he didn't touch the slot CB.

The assumes that the picking player is psychic and can be absolutely certain that the outside DB isn't going to roll to the slot receiver as he comes outside.

None of this is to say that it mattered. Clemson had already run the same play in that same spot on the field and the refs didn't call it. You can't just pray that the refs will call it the next time. Bring a safety* over for help. The play could have been defended.

*safety should not be Ronnie Harrison, who was more worthless than a sack of crap last nite.

Last edited:
The assumes that the picking player is psychic and can be absolutely certain that the outside DB isn't going to roll to the slot receiver as he comes outside.

None of this is to say that it mattered. Clemson had already run the same play in that same spot on the field and the refs didn't call it. You can't just pray that the refs will call it the next time. Bring a safety* over for help. The play could have been defended.

*safety should not be Ronnie Harrison, who was more worthless than a sack of crap last nite.
The first TD was sold a lot better by the outside WR. You could argue it was more of a rub than a pick.

I'm hearing a lot of "Clemson cheated" today. Not getting calls is part of the game. Bama has gotten away with their fair share of them. Not saying its right, just happens. Click Image.

Attachments

• clap.0.gif
    clap.0.gif
    4 MB · Views: 39
I'm hearing a lot of "Clemson cheated" today. Not getting calls is part of the game. Bama has gotten away with their fair share of them. Not saying its right, just happens. Click Image.

Calling it cheating is dumb

Happy Clemson won but that was an egregious example of picking. The outside receiver just immediately blocked the bama DB, but teams have been getting away with pick plays for a long time in both college and pros.

VN Store

Back