Tennessee Played Well But Not In The Cards

teacherdean

The ladies played well but MSU played the way Championship teams have to play, especially at the end of the game. I love the fact that the ladies did not give up and hung in there to the end. We can come up with a lot of what if's but we played our best and got beat. We gave #4 a very hard test. In the end, MSU's defense was more than Tennessee could overcome. Vic has done a super job with a 5 starless team. All and all there is still hope in Knoxville if we continue with the same mentality and effort for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Untimely turnovers, and missed layups were the difference

Along with an inability to rattle MS's PG. She is a heady player who controls their offense magnificently. I figured she would be the one to exploit Tennessee's defense.

Did they really play "well"? No 3 point makes, ball security a joke, air balls from several guards (you ARE on scholarship) should be able to at least hit the rim! No boxing out at numerous points in the game. Runs of 10 straight points at least twice during the game by State...

Reactions: 6 people
I like Jordan but we need a elite point guard play that demand ball to set up and run the offense. To many one on one plays and forced shots will not work against elite defense.

we played our best and got beat.

Tennessee shot 31%. Tennessee missed every three-point shot. Tennessee had 17 turnovers but only 6 assists. You consider that playing their best? How would you define poor play?

Quality teams consistently shoot 50% or better. They also have more assists than turnovers. I didn't see that from either team today.

Reactions: 7 people
The ladies played well but MSU played the way Championship teams have to play, especially at the end of the game. I love the fact that the ladies did not give up and hung in there to the end. We can come up with a lot of what if's but we played our best and got beat. We gave #4 a very hard test. In the end, MSU's defense was more than Tennessee could overcome. Vic has done a super job with a 5 starless team. All and all there is still hope in Knoxville if we continue with the same mentality and effort for the rest of the year.

I'm sorry but shooting 31% is not playing well. I know there are more facets to the game than shooting, but ultimately the game is won by who has the most points. 31% FG does not cut it against any SEC opponent, no matter how well you play defense.
Also, I was not very impressed with MSU. We lost to a mediocre team -- I don't care that they are undefeated, they are not that great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I like Jordan but we need a elite point guard play that demand ball to set up and run the offense. To many one on one plays and forced shots will not work against elite defense.

This team plays much better with Jordan at the point.You only need to look today when she was not in the game in the 2nd QTR ( on the bench with 2 fouls along with Nared ),they were leading 20-19 going into 2nd Qtr and were trailing 41-34 at the half....in essence that was when we lost the game imo.Then compare when she was in the game in 3rd QTR and 4th QTR ,they came back to take the lead but dumb ,unforced turnovers cost them the game after that.

Reactions: 5 people
We played badly--what game were you watching? We shot 30 percent for the game (awful), had 17 turnovers to 6 assists (terrible). The only good thing we did in this game was make free throws--we had at least 30 points from the free-throw line--astounding. Vivians is athletic and skilled--but otherwise we have more talent. We just don't know how to play good basketball.

Reactions: 8 people
They did not play well but they did play with a lot of heart and effort ....that may be what OP meant.

Reactions: 4 people
We did play with effort--but it was low IQ basketball by coaches and players, in keeping with our Low IQ play for at least 10 years. It is infuriating--to me, anyway--that this program is saddled with terrible coaching.

Reactions: 8 people
There was absolutely no focus in the 2nd qrt. And the 2nd half they play well in spurts. How???? How???? HTH do you lose focus playing a top 5 team with so much on the line????

Reactions: 1 person

Wait until next year. We have the #1 class of players coming into K-Town. They should shoot lights out.

This team plays much better with Jordan at the point.You only need to look today when she was not in the game in the 2nd QTR ( on the bench with 2 fouls along with Nared ),they were leading 20-19 going into 2nd Qtr and were trailing 41-34 at the half....in essence that was when we lost the game imo.Then compare when she was in the game in 3rd QTR and 4th QTR ,they came back to take the lead but dumb ,unforced turnovers cost them the game after that.

I know we play better with her in game my point was to win at Elite level which is final 4 we do not have this gaurd on this team because of Tea injury.

Vivians was a 5 star recruit

Well, yes, but the top 52 recruits that year were rated 5 stars.... To me anyway that is not impressive....

Vivians did not even earn McDonalds All American status... She was #24 recruit according to Hoopgurlz... same year... Nared was #6 and Middleton was #28.

Ms State is good because Vic has the program and he is implementing some of the things he learned under Gary Blair. Credit to them.... No stars on the team, and they are undefeated.

There was absolutely no focus in the 2nd qrt. And the 2nd half they play well in spurts. How???? How???? HTH do you lose focus playing a top 5 team with so much on the line????

At 7:07 of the second, we had just seen back to back lost-focus plays. I stood up and yelled "time Out!". . . (sv sitting next to me). . . Behind me I heard "What do we need a timeout for, we're still ahead?"

That is what separates a coach from a fan...We see a different game.

There were four more bad possessions that preceded the "waited for" TV timeout. There were four more possessions that followed the tv timeout, before DD hit a jumper to end the drought.

At 1:01 of the fourth quarter, we still had 3 time outs.
Mississippi State didn't have any left.

Time outs are more than just end of game mechanisms.
They are often momentum changers.

Reactions: 3 people
:thud:The Lady Vols lost the game entirely due to 17 turnovers and Miss. State scored 18 points off those turnovers. Mississippi State had 10 steals and scored plenty from those. We will continue loses with those kind of turnovers and steals by the opposition team. When is the coaching staff going to do something about this???? Mississippi State only had 7 turnovers!!!!!!! DeShields had 4 turnovers in the game...same crap every game too.:eek:lol:

Tennessee played well in very small spurts, but the bad play easily over shadowed the good play..this team is wholely and sorely inconsistent from game to game. They will win enough to get in the tournament, but i expect similiar loss total as last season and maybe a sweet 16 as the ceiling..

No stars on the team, and they are undefeated.

I wasn't impressed with Mississippi State's performance today. I would love to see them play Baylor or Maryland and see how they stack up. Texas has been their only competition so far and Massey has MSU's SOS at 28 as of today.

I will admit that saying they played 100% well is somewhat overstated, but the player effort and heart was there. We need to give MSU defense some credit for the low shooting percentage. I noticed ladies playing out of position and not always blocking out. A lot of that gets down to coaching and reviewing previous games and making corrections. I also noticed a few bonehead plays by both teams. To be factual, this team will not be a top 10 team until their shooting percentage improves, we get a real point guard, we have next year's class, we learn to be aggressive for entire games, we learn how to play at crunch time, coaching ideologies change, etc. I also believe that Vic has created a can do winning environment at MSU. We have lost a lot of that, especially at home. I think that the environment has improved but not to the level it needs to be at. I still give the ladies a pat on the back for hanging in there.

I wasn't impressed with Mississippi State's performance today. I would love to see them play Baylor or Maryland and see how they stack up. Texas has been their only competition so far and Massey has MSU's SOS at 28 as of today.

I agree with you.... Not a Picasso today for MS, but certainly good enough to beat us.....

We have bona fide stars on our team I was hoping for a better result.....

I agree with you.... Not a Picasso today for MS, but certainly good enough to beat us.....

We have bona fide stars on our team I was hoping for a better result.....

Nared, Diamond, and Mercedes are legit, but they can't carry the team all season by themselves.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back