'17 France 6'6" SF/SG Yves Pons.

Sounds like they were trying to keep his recruitment secret to stave off other schools knowing he is out there. And the local media ****ed that up right quick.

Reactions: 4 people
The notes about his playing time, injuries, and basketball IQ give me pause. Not sure about a "project" player who doesn't arrive at the next level with some kind of physical superlative.

Is there video of Pons being guarded by someone who matches up with him in stature?

The notes about his playing time, injuries, and basketball IQ give me pause. Not sure about a "project" player who doesn't arrive at the next level with some kind of physical superlative.

Is there video of Pons being guarded by someone who matches up with him in stature?

I think that's what stands out, he is 17 but looks 25...is that his fault that he is physically more gifted than most of the guys his age?

Reactions: 4 people

If there was one player that had the… “WOW factor” in FIBA’s U17 Tournament, it was probably Pons. The French prospect was responsible for some of the top highlights of this Tournament. He is an elite athlete, even by NBA standards, with crazy leaping ability and a great body structure for his age. He shot an amazing 76.9% on 2pts and he impressed everybody with his power in finishing at the rim, but at the same time, his shooting selection wasn’t ideal and it was obvious that he depends too much on his dominant (left) hand. He is by far a better athlete than a basketball player at the moment, but the truth is that he showed real promise and he can become an excellent 3 and D player in the future

This kid certainly isn't a project. His shooting isn't very good, but he's a lock down defender, that is explosive at getting to the rim.

Having a defensive lineup of
Parker
Phillips
Pons
Fulk
Alexander
would be something to watch. Bowden, Turner, Johnson Bone, Williams would be your scorers when you'd need points.

Good luck finding anyone of his stature at his age.

I think the MKG comparison is probably the best I've seen so far, and Pons may even be a little more athletic. He will find ways to score, but he won't be someone you're posting up or running sets for most likely.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the MKG comparison is probably the best I've seen so far, and Pons may even be a little more athletic. He will find ways to score, but he won't be someone you're posting up or running sets for most likely.

Yup he's who I thought of first. He's a Demarre Carroll, Jae Crowder, MKG type of player. Athletic, defense first, slasher type of player. That's not really a great shooter. The first two are decent shooters, MKG isn't really so I like that comparison the most.

Reactions: 1 person

Hope he atleast shoots better than him. Lol

He sounds like a Thabo Sefolosha type who can guard 1 through 4 on the court and will pick his spots on offense.

When does he make his announcement?

Looks similar too and reminds me of Crash.

Side note: one of my favorites guys to watch play, the nickname fit.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back