Jimmy Clausen

Northwest Vol

Hey guys,

I've been checking out this board for a month or two now, and finally registered. I am all the way in the great state of Washington. My mom is from Tennessee and I have been a Vol fan my whole life (having 40 or so family members living in Tennessee will do that to you).

Anyway, I was just watching ESPN and they had a segment on Jimmy Clausen. One of the analysts on there said he is the biggest high school recruit EVER, period. Wow. Schools like USC, South Carolina and another school have already offered him a full-ride scholarship, which is against the rules.

Do you think he'll follow the lead of his two older brothers and come to UT? I knew people were ga-ga over this guy, but I had no idea how coveted he was.

Either way, the Vols recruit as good (or better) than any program in the country... Clausen or not, the Vols will stay in the elite.

According to an interview I read with Jimmy he is in love with Tennessee...I think he is ours to lose...If he doesn't come here then I am gonna call for Fulmer's head :lol:

You just never know with these things, He may just want to "do his own thing" at a different program but I would have to think we have an advantage with the family history at UT.

Originally posted by utvol0427@Sep 1, 2005 2:57 PM
According to an interview I read with Jimmy he is in love with Tennessee...I think he is ours to lose...If he doesn't come here then I am gonna call for Fulmer's head :lol:
[snapback]133887[/snapback]​

I was talking to my uncle and he was so mad that Ainge was named the starter. He felt Fulmer should have started Clausen, simply because Jimmy might pull a "Chris Leak" on the Vols. I told him Ainge has an amazing amount of potential and is only a sophomore, so why make a decision based on whether a high school junior will be mad if his brother doesn't start? He just didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me, Ainge could be the second best Vols QB ever... I want to be liked so I won't say he can pass Peyton. :p

if he surpassed Peyton I would not be mad at all, but I would rather have another NC

Originally posted by Northwest Vol@Sep 1, 2005 6:02 PM
I was talking to my uncle and he was so mad that Ainge was named the starter.  He felt Fulmer should have started Clausen, simply because Jimmy might pull a "Chris Leak" on the Vols.  I told him Ainge has an amazing amount of potential and is only a sophomore, so why make a decision based on whether a high school junior will be mad if his brother doesn't start?  He just didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me, Ainge could be the second best Vols QB ever...  I want to be liked so I won't say he can pass Peyton.  :p
[snapback]133893[/snapback]​

UT is an elite program, and making personel decisions based on a recruit would be insane. I also feel the Clausen family is above "taking a Leak". RC understands that Ainge has more physical gifts, and he will still get his shots this year. Above all we have a chance this year to be a great team and Jimmy or no Jimmy UT is still stocked for a couple of years already.

But if we do pick him up, we will be set at QB until two-thousand-freakin'-twelve. Think about it.

Yes, Jimmy Clausen is being recruited tremendously. Even with our history with the Clausen family, Fulmer will have to do some serious recruiting work to land Jimmy. If we land him, we can officially call UT "QB U"

Just because Rick won't start, that doesn't mean that Jimmy wouldn't. Besides, Rick is going to get some playing time this year. If Ainge does what he is supposed to and they put in Clausen later in the game, we should blow some teams out....but it all rests on the defense IMO...

Originally posted by milohimself@Sep 1, 2005 6:23 PM
But if we do pick him up, we will be set at QB until two-thousand-freakin'-twelve. Think about it.

Yes, Jimmy Clausen is being recruited tremendously. Even with our history with the Clausen family, Fulmer will have to do some serious recruiting work to land Jimmy. If we land him, we can officially call UT "QB U"
[snapback]133906[/snapback]​

I agree and I want him at UT but it is by no means the end of the world if we don't land him.....and I don't buy into the theory that just because of his family history with the school he is a shoe in for UT as some seem to think.

I heard the same, and read an interview with JC's father who also seemed high on SC. While I can't stand Spurrier I have to admit from a quarterbacks standpoint he has a lot to offer as a coach....not to mention JC would probably be promised a starting spot from day one if he plays as advertised.

If Rick does decide to accept the grad asst. position, that would obviously help. But I've heard that Jimmy is closer to his sister Katie than he is to Rick or Casey, and Katie goes to UT. But who really knows? I mean, this kid has almost two years before he has to decide. IMO, the best recruiting tool for TN as far as JC is concerned is to be successful, so he can come in to a team that has the chance to compete for a NC every year. Also, as you all know, the Clausen boys seem to thrive on competition, which is exactly what Jimmy will have if he comes here with the "other" JC. Anyway, it's really too early to tell about any of this, but I certainly hope he comes to TN.

Look for USC(not South Carolina) to be in the driver's seat.

Northwest Vol tell your uncle if Fulmer makes decisions on who starts based on who's in their family then he'll not be coach much longer.

Why wouldn't Clausen go to SC and pick Spurriers brain for a year or 2 while being recruited then go to the school he wants.

UT is in it but just because Rick may be at UT as a GA will not make much of a difference, if it did then you would have to say Casey being a GA at Miss State would make them a front runner also, but it doesn't. Seeing as both his brothers and his sister have attended UT you can count on UT being in the thick of it.

But remember Jimmy's Freshman year Ainge will still have 1 year left and Crompton will still have 3 left

Originally posted by Vol67@Sep 1, 2005 7:32 PM
Look for USC(not South Carolina) to be in the driver's seat.

But remember Jimmy's Freshman year Ainge will still have 1 year left and Crompton will still have 3 left
[snapback]133950[/snapback]​

Good point, and a good recruiting "problem" to have.

Jimmy is probably going to be the "most sought after" HS recruit, not necessarily the "greatest". However, he seems to have GREAT potential... the Clausen family make well thought out decisions, and I don't expect Rick not starting to affect Jimmy's thoughts on UT as a school that could give him some great chances to succeed.

And I doubt the fact that EA and Crompton are here will bother him too much... the fact that EA was here certainly didn't make Crompton waver, he still feels he can compete for the position (when healthy) and I expect JC to have the same attitude. I believe it is FAR too soon to even speculate as to where he'll go.

VN Store

Back