The Golf Thread

The R7 Draw is that price anywhere. On the off chance that you don't slice it, If you can find the old 580D somewhere, it's probably like $75-100 and you can spend the rest on irons like BPV recommended earlier.

The R7 Draw is that price anywhere. On the off chance that you don't slice it, If you can find the old 580D somewhere, it's probably like $75-100 and you can spend the rest on irons like BPV recommended earlier.
Is that right? My dad's been looking for it and it's been $179-$199 everywhere.

The 580XD is the older line that matches the 510TP that I'm still hitting today.

Is that right? My dad's been looking for it and it's been $179-$199 everywhere.

The 580XD is the older line that matches the 510TP that I'm still hitting today.

I think it went down just a week ago. I've seen it that price at a Dick's in Va Beach and a Golf Galaxy. Of course, they are the same company, so I might be wrong.

I am playing in a tourney soon. I need to buy clubs and a OK driver. I am goin cheap. I will spend 200. on a driver and 200.00 on irons. What would you guys look at?

You could also look at a play it again Sports. They have decent prices on clubs.

Another website that offers alot of close-out deals is rock bottom golf

RockBottomGolf.com - Discount Golf Clubs, New Golf Clubs and Equipment from TaylorMade, Adams Golf, Mizuno, Tommy Armour, Ram, Hippo, Wilson, Nike, Bag Boy and Ogio.

That's probably not a bad set of clubs if you are a beginner or high handicapper who is playing with very old clubs and wants something cheap.

What have you got now?

Honestly though, if you are willing to spend $200, you'd be surprised what you can get from somewhere like Callaway Preowned. The technology would be old, but would be superior to that set on e-bay.

That's probably not a bad set of clubs if you are a beginner or high handicapper who is playing with very old clubs and wants something cheap.

What have you got now?

I have like 4th generation hand me downs, and they truly aren't worth a dime. Crappy, old.

I'm probably not willing to spend $200 this season, but I am willing to spend say $50 this year, then $200+ next season if I get better (gonna take lessons).

Let me clarify: I'm hoping to upgrade slightly to used clubs that are at least in working shape, from Ebay for a good deal. Then, after I find out if I can at least improve my game with lessons, invest more so from there.

Let me clarify: I'm hoping to upgrade slightly to used clubs that are at least in working shape, from Ebay for a good deal. Then, after I find out if I can at least improve my game with lessons, invest more so from there.

whatever happened to the knoxville deal?

got my stupid arse sunburned playing today, but hit one of the best 4 irons of my life and putted reasonably well, so it was worth it.

whatever happened to the knoxville deal?

To make a long story still long: the job opening was for a transactional AE (works with agencies and numbers inside all day) and while I have a little bit of experience there, my experience is mostly in local direct advertising. The sales manager was very very nice and said that when an opening for a bizdev AE opens, they're calling me to ask me to apply.

got my stupid arse sunburned playing today, but hit one of the best 4 irons of my life and putted reasonably well, so it was worth it.
I got rained out. I'm playing in a tournament Monday and I haven't gotten in a single round of golf in the past 3 weeks. I'm sure it will be a banner day.

So I assume Golfsmith >>>>>>> Tommy Armour?
Not really . . . Golfsmith is just an outlet store that also sells components and knockoff clubs. That set I found is more of a traditional cast cavity backed iron vs that hybrid set you are looking at. I don't think there is really a right or wrong set when you are spending $50-$75 on a set of irons. You just need something with some semblance of playability.

There is so much I don't know about equipment. I have no idea what's better in terms of steel or regular shafts, cast cavity backing, etc.

Don't be intimidated by all the specs. Just find something with a steel shaft that is cavity backed and go start hitting balls. You can figure out the rest later.

Just avoid any set of irons with the words "forged", "blade" or "pro" in the description.

There is so much I don't know about equipment. I have no idea what's better in terms of steel or regular shafts, cast cavity backing, etc.
depends on your swing, but typically stiff steel is the best iron shaft and cavity backs the best for high handicappers, forged or cast less important.

I would actually save my 50 bucks and take the lessons, then find some clubs. You might find that you should not use off the shelf clubs after figuring out your swing.

I would actually save my 50 bucks and take the lessons, then find some clubs.

I agree 100%. If the irons he has are remotely playable, he'd probably be better off spending the $50 on a lesson or two and letting the pro help him figure out what to buy.

any tips for someone who absolutely sucks at chipping? every time i do it, the ball goes straight, not up in the air.

Who knows? After Monday I might have a set of clubs I want to give away. :crazy:

any tips for someone who absolutely sucks at chipping? every time i do it, the ball goes straight, not up in the air.

The idiot-proof method of chipping . . . grip the club like you would a putter, set up with your hands in front of the ball somewhere in front of your left thigh and swing it like a putter. If your hands stay in front of the ball it's impossible to pop it up.

VN Store

Back