2014 Georgia Forward Phil Cofer

nGm0OMa.gif

Well played.

Huge UT fan, wanted to come here bad. He and his dad would drive up for games. Drove up for a visit and was ignored, so he went elsewhere. I've seen in interviews where it still bugs him today.

I thought I remembered we had passed on him.

I thought I remembered we had passed on him.

In that interview he did before the Super Bowl. He said he came on his families own dime for unofficial visits but Fulmer kept saying they were recruiting a different player at same position (Daniel Brooks). Barf has to be one of all time misses in hindsight. Willis said he cried that he wanted to go to Tennessee so bad. Ouch.

I understand we're discussing opinions, but I have a hard time envisioning the need for a huge university to have a need for "leverage" over a high school recruit. Just stikes be as unfair and "big brotherish".

I would have the AD call or maybe even visit in person with each LOI signed recruit and tell them UT will grant their release, but ask them to please wait 2 weeks or so to give the new staff a chance to meet them and build a relationship. If at that time they no longer feel its a good fit then certainly UT will honor their request for a release?

Your last paragraph is exactly what I was talking about. Seems very logical and reasonable. That doesn't seem "big brotherish" to me. A new coach will always immediately have a tough time because he is the new guy that no one knows. By requiring at least a face to face meeting, you give the recruits a chance to stay. While my "leverage" comment could have been strong, it is a tool to use considering the situation of a new coach. I see nothing wrong with it because the coach will eventually grant the release if the player still wants out.

In that interview he did before the Super Bowl. He said he came on his families own dime for unofficial visits but Fulmer kept saying they were recruiting a different player at same position (Daniel Brooks). Barf has to be one of all time misses in hindsight. Willis said he cried that he wanted to go to Tennessee so bad. Ouch.

It makes it even worse that we passed on him for Brooks.

It makes it even worse that we passed on him for Brooks.

Brooks was a beast in HS so don't blame them for wanting him but I don't see any reason why they didn't take both. Stupid move. Brooks problem was he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed

VN Store

Back