2014 Georgia Forward Phil Cofer

We're actually arguing over whether this guy should be given the title VFL? Lol slow sports day...

Welcome to the offseason

This. :lol:

It is funny, though, how differently some define this term compared to others.

It wasn't a comparison, I was just asking for what the general opinion is, if Harris is a VFL? I've heard people in the past say he's not, just trying to nail down what the definition seems to be.

There are some people that wouldn't call Peyton a VFL if he'd left after his Junior year. I don't understand the argument, but some people think you have to finish your eligibility to attain VFL status...most butthurtness, IMO.

It wasn't a comparison, I was just asking for what the general opinion is, if Harris is a VFL? I've heard people in the past say he's not, just trying to nail down what the definition seems to be.

Why wouldn't Harris qualify?

What is your definition?

This. :lol:

It is funny, though, how differently some define this term compared to others.

Exactly. I wasn't trying to compare the 2, maybe I should've been clearer. I've heard some say harris absolutely isn't, others say he absolutely has...just trying to get the definition down.

Why wouldn't Harris qualify?

What is your definition?

My definition would be someone who loves the university of Tennessee and cheers for them in every sport. They don't have to have attended school there, played there, or live there.

Maybe mine is to broad lol

Yeah, it's ok. I just find it akin to me saying that fire is cold, and then asking you to agree to disagree.

Don't think it's nearly the same, but if that's your opinion ok.

I don't think a kid who's labeled a VFL for 17 years loses that label because he picks the best situation for him.jmo

My criteria, tifwiw.

1. Must play for UT
2. While playing, must give their all
3. Must represent the university as it should be represented
4. When their career is over, they feel prideful that they attended UT

I try to keep things simple. :)

Last edited:
There are some people that wouldn't call Peyton a VFL if he'd left after his Junior year. I don't understand the argument, but some people think you have to finish your eligibility to attain VFL status...most butthurtness, IMO.

I don't see why anyone who projects to be a top 10 pick would pass up the money. If someone offered me millions to play pro football, I would turn in my fan card without hesitation, if required. :)

My definition would be someone who loves the university of Tennessee and cheers for them in every sport. They don't have to have attended school there, played there, or live there.

Maybe mine is to broad lol
Could the requirements differ for athletes and fans, ie Vol for Life and Vol Fan for Life?

Don't think it's nearly the same, but if that's your opinion ok.

I don't think a kid who's labeled a VFL for 17 years loses that label because he picks the best situation for him.jmo

No issue with what he wants to do. But my definition is that there is something in you that allows you to unconditionally love the university. He was given a chance to represent it, and he chose not to. I would probably walk to Knoxville from Memphis if I could wear a UT jersey (well, maybe). Being a VFL causes one to spend money to support the university, throw things and yell at the TV (and be scolded by the wife), get ridiculed for wearing alot of orange, or all of the above. JMO.

Did Tennessee even recruit Patrick Willis? I've forgotten.

Huge UT fan, wanted to come here bad. He and his dad would drive up for games. Drove up for a visit and was ignored, so he went elsewhere. I've seen in interviews where it still bugs him today.

Token recruitment, but never offered. He'd have died to come here though. Vonn Bell is maybe a better comparison. Is Vonn Bell a VFL?

I used Willis because of his desire to actually be here. And my resentment as a Niners fan that we ignored him. Lol Vonn Bell is a better comparison.

That's not the true issue. CDT would have given all releases if they eventually asked for them. But, you don't have to release them immediately upon request. My business is about leverage, and a new coach can have an uphill battle because he has to catch up. But, the one area where he has some leverage is the LOI. No one is saying not to release them at all. Just make sure you get a chance to meet the player, family, and form a relationship before granting the release.

I understand we're discussing opinions, but I have a hard time envisioning the need for a huge university to have a need for "leverage" over a high school recruit. Just stikes be as unfair and "big brotherish".

I would have the AD call or maybe even visit in person with each LOI signed recruit and tell them UT will grant their release, but ask them to please wait 2 weeks or so to give the new staff a chance to meet them and build a relationship. If at that time they no longer feel its a good fit then certainly UT will honor their request for a release?

Token recruitment, but never offered. He'd have died to come here though. Vonn Bell is maybe a better comparison. Is Vonn Bell a VFL?

nGm0OMa.gif

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back