What SAT score is needed to get into UT?

I was wondering because I'm a junior planning on applying to UT. Just got my first score back, it was an 1110. Anyone know if that is good enough? I also have about a 3.5 GPA.

sorry if this is not the right forum, but I didnt know where else to post.

I was wondering because I'm a junior planning on applying to UT. Just got my first score back, it was an 1110. Anyone know if that is good enough? I also have about a 3.5 GPA.

This is from the UT admissions website:

The middle 50 percent of the fall 2008 admitted class had score ranges of 1110-1290 (SAT-CR+M) or 25-29 (ACT) and a core high school GPA range of 3.38-3.99.

UT does not require the SAT essay portion.

Get a 25 on the ACT and you're in no matter what your gpa is (well as long as its reasonable). They switched over in the past few years and they put way too much emphasis on the ACT imo, but it's pretty straight forward.

23-24 range you will likely still get in with a decent GPA, but you will probably be put on the waiting list for awhile - some people I know got accepted a month before the school year started or were accepted for the spring semester in that range with a 22 ACT and a GPA in the 3.9 to 4.0 range. They may have changed it over a few years but I doubt it.

Last edited:
25 act? wow. i have no chacne in hell in getting into UT

Just take a course or two... and take it several times. I think they super score it when they look at it - not positive though.

If not - you can always transfer in.. not as difficult to get in as a transfer if you haven't already screwed up your first semester or year.

They didn't super score it when I applied in 2001, but I think they do now. You didn't as high of a score, then either, though.

Just take a course or two... and take it several times. I think they super score it when they look at it - not positive though.

If not - you can always transfer in.. not as difficult to get in as a transfer if you haven't already screwed up your first semester or year.

On collegerboard.com it said that "rigor of secondary school" is very important when applying. that being said, does the fact that i go to a "semi-prestigeous" private school help me?

On collegerboard.com it said that "rigor of secondary school" is very important when applying. that being said, does the fact that i go to a "semi-prestigeous" private school help me?

No idea honestly - but I'm sure it's better than the average public school in their eyes.

I got accepted as a transfer, but they needed my HS transcripts too. Albeit I graduated HS 10 years ago, but I had a 3.0 and an 1110 SAT.

My main advice. Write the essay. Do a DAMN good job on the essay and you should be good.

i went to salem high

My cousin played you guys in Football. He went to Magna Vista. Good to see that you're going to college out of that area, I would recommend never returning after you graduate. There's no jobs there that pay anything. I grew up in Martinsville, and wouldn't return to live if my life depended on it. Their economy is just a shambles.

For it to be a sure thing I think you would need to have a 3.6+ and a 25+. I have a 29 ACT and a 2.7 GPA and I'm thinking I will probably have to do a semester at Pellisippi. I would have been a shoe in 4-5 years ago but it gets harder every year with lottery.

For it to be a sure thing I think you would need to have a 3.6+ and a 25+. I have a 29 ACT and a 2.7 GPA and I'm thinking I will probably have to do a semester at Pellisippi. I would have been a shoe in 4-5 years ago but it gets harder every year with lottery.

Slacker. You could gotten basically a full ride most anywhere public and some of the less prestigious private schools with a 3.5+ and a 29 ACT.

buy the college board sat book, take the tests over and over again and improve your score. P.m me if you have any questions.

I got accepted today! I have a 29 on the ACT and wrote a good essay and I think thats what got me in.

I got accepted today! I have a 29 on the ACT and wrote a good essay and I think thats what got me in.

Grats! I think it was my essay that got me through as well. But I'm there now, just got to worry about the $$$

If I can find my essay I'll post it here as an example.

ok I found it, but something is messed up and it's missing the last part of it. Therefore I will not post it here.

Slacker. You could gotten basically a full ride most anywhere public and some of the less prestigious private schools with a 3.5+ and a 29 ACT.

that's not true unless college admissions have gotten easier since I applied. I got in everywhere I applied (with very similar numbers) but not many scholarship numbers at that level and definitely not full rides

that's not true unless college admissions have gotten easier since I applied. I got in everywhere I applied (with very similar numbers) but not many scholarship numbers at that level and definitely not full rides

I was offered a 17k scholarship to Carson Newman and 20k to Maryville college a few years back with a 24 ACT and a 3.9 GPA. Surely a 29 can get you a full ride to a lot of places. The other colleges I applied to like Belmont, Samford, UTC, and UTK I wasn't offered as much - only about 3-7k.

Last edited:
I was offered a 17k scholarship to Carson Newman and 20k to Maryville college a few years back with a 24 ACT and a 3.9 GPA. Surely a 29 can get you a full ride to a lot of places. The other colleges I applied to like Belmont, Samford, UTC, and UTK I wasn't offered as much - only about 3-7k.

I had a 32 ACT and a 3.4 and I got a half way ride to Milligan, which essentially made it the cost of a public school.

The numbers UT and ETSU threw at me were far from a full ride. The 3.9 helped you far more than the 29. It was ridiculous because I would have been better off taking at least one more Residential Construction class instead of Pre Calc and dropping Physics for something else that would have been a gimme A. Those two Bs killed me.

VN Store

Back