I've cut my Satellite off

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
what would the best way to get video to my TV ?,my desk top computer just has on board graphics,should I look into something wireless ? or a video card and a cable ?

I'm going thru Direct TV with drawls lol,I decided to turn them off,because the bill just kept growing and I have decided I can do with out it

I've been able to keep up with the shows I watch,thru some uuuh sketchy sites, they are free,but there is no sports or news on them

getting a video feed from my computer to my really great wall mounted TV is a must,but I'm not sure how to go about it and still get a good picture on the TV

my TV has these for ports

Connector Type: 2 x HDMI ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) ¦ 1 x composite video / component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) ¦ 1 x audio input ( RCA phono x 2 ) ¦ 1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) ¦ 1 x headphones ( mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) ¦ 1 x digital audio output (coaxial) ( RCA phono )

this is the TV

Shop for the RCA 46" Class 1080p LCD HDTV at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

i do have it wall mounted and the computer is on the opposite wall,of course :)

I have to be thrifty on what I can spend,will a video card with a HDMI outlet be all I need ? with a cable run across the floor,which I know probably isn't the best way to go about it

I figure I will probably need around 25 to 30 feet of HDMI cable,I thought about going around the living room to hook it up,but that is adding a lot more cable

or is there a less expensive way to do something wireless ? I've looked at some video cards,there under 50 bucks with HDMI outlets and a HDMI wire long enough is around 25 to 35 bucks,to get the job done

and will I have a quality signal going to the TV ? I do have slow Internet speed,it will pull around 3megs,I know that will affect quality,I'm out in the sticks on DSL and that is the highest speed I can get,so i have no idea how that will relate to quality on my TV

any help will be appreciated :hi:and hopefully I can get this done before the first football game and my sister is going to give me her login so I can use,you know whose video feed,so I can Watch sports :)

Last edited:
Maybe a roku? That's what I have and stream Netflix, hulu, and sports.

what will I need as far as an outlet on my computer ? and will I need to upgrade to a video card ?and are they wireless ?

Last edited:
what will I need as far as an outlet on my computer ? and will I need to upgrade to a video card ?and are they wireless ?

My roku is the small box with the HDMI cord, but they have a wireless stick you just plug into the HDMI port on the TV. As far as streaming like you were speaking about your sisters log in, that's what I do and it works great.

My roku is the small box with the HDMI cord, but they have a wireless stick you just plug into the HDMI port on the TV. As far as streaming like you were speaking about your sisters log in, that's what I do and it works great.

thanks,so all I would need is the roku streaming stick ?

and does it have a good quality picture on the TV ?

I assume the sling TV works the same way volfan_89 ?

is there a monthly fee involved with them ? I'm sure there is or is it just buying the hardware to access my DSL router's wireless ?

and will it access any video or my sketchy site and play it on my TV ? or will it be looking for just pay sites,like netflx or hulu ?

Last edited:
Look into kodi.

great another one in the mix :)

but thanks I will look at them too,are you using them ? and if so,how well do you like it

I just googled it and this is one of the first things I found

"Jun 16, 2015 - Amazon has removed the popular media center Kodi from the app store claiming it facilitates piracy. The software, formerly known as XBMC, ..."

or is that a plus ? :)

Last edited:
I don't use it exclusivity. But it's in my mix. I use it for sports devil only... To watch ufc ppv, boxing ppv, and anything else I don't get locally.

I still have my satellite currently but have went back in forth on cutting. Kodi works pretty well. But it has a learning curve.

Kodi, mobdro, movie HD(love), cartoon HD. All very solid streaming services. I use movie HD with my chrome cast for movies and shows (game of thrones).

Do some research. There are tons of services out there.

You might miss some Vols games

I can't pick up any local channels off an antenna,I had trimmed all the limbs off a cedar tree and added another 10 to 15 feet with a metal pole and had a rotary antenna on top of that

I couldn't pick up local channels at all,I could hear it and see orange and white pixels running around on the TV screen,I couldn't even pick up PBS lol

are the roku and sling TV just a one time purchase ? or will I have to add a app or something to be able to watch TV with them ?

I'm using Prime Wire to watch TV shows and movies for free on my monitor and need to be able to have it running on my TV,will they carry it to my TV is the main question I have,as in there sticks that would plug into the TV?

I can't pick up any local channels off an antenna,I had trimmed all the limbs off a cedar tree and added another 10 to 15 feet with a metal pole and had a rotary antenna on top of that

I couldn't pick up local channels at all,I could hear it and see orange and white pixels running around on the TV screen,I couldn't even pick up PBS lol

are the roku and sling TV just a one time purchase ? or will I have to add a app or something to be able to watch TV with them ?

I'm using Prime Wire to watch TV shows and movies for free on my monitor and need to be able to have it running on my TV,will they carry it to my TV is the main question I have,as in there sticks that would plug into the TV?

If you can get regular cable like Comcast you wont have any problems like those.

thanks,so all I would need is the roku streaming stick ?

and does it have a good quality picture on the TV ?

I assume the sling TV works the same way volfan_89 ?

is there a monthly fee involved with them ? I'm sure there is or is it just buying the hardware to access my DSL router's wireless ?

and will it access any video or my sketchy site and play it on my TV ? or will it be looking for just pay sites,like netflx or hulu ?

There's no fee for roku, except if you pay for a service on it like Netflix, Amazon, etc. The picture is great. I may check out whatever kodi is also. Sling is $20 a month, $25 with the sports package. Its a mini dish network package really. You cab download the channel onto the roku.

If you can get regular cable like Comcast you wont have any problems like those.

there is no cable anywhere close to me

I've stumbled across a site about HDMI and DVI ,for 23 bucks and shipping,I can just buy a DVI to HDMI converter cable

Ultra 25FT HDMI to DVI-D Cable - HDMI Male/DVI-D Male, 10.2Gbps, 1080p at TigerDirect.com

I will lose some sound quality,but I will be using the good speakers on the computer,so i will be able to listen to Rocky Top just fine

as long as sis comes off a log in,I may get to watch the mighty Vols of Tennessee kick some ass come opening day on the big TV,which is what I'm after :)

and thanks for all the help :hi: I now know more ways to breed a computer to a TV,than any man ought to ever know :)

Saw the thread title, thought it might be a euphemism for something, was afraid to open.

Assuming you have a high speed Internet source, buy a roku, sign up for sling tv with the sports package ($25/mo) add hulu to watch any shows you may have missed ($8/mo). Then watch TV. :)

I may do that appyvol,I'm waiting on a DVI to HDMI converter cable and see how well that works,I may check out the Sling TV,but hopefully won't need it and the TV bill will be at 0

I have a DVI and VGA outlet on my computer,will I be be able to run both a monitor(on VGA) and and my TV (on a DVI out,with the converter cable) at the same time ?

it has Radeon 3100 Graphics on board ,no video card

Last edited:

I'm out in the sticks and can't get any TV reception worth a crap,that is because I'm in a Holler,with tall ridges to the South,East and West all I have is a clear view of the North and there isn't any local TV stations from the direction

I've tried,I had a old rotary TV antenna 25 to 35 feet up in the air and it couldn't pull in any of Knoxville's TV station,from where I am at ,nor will a cell phone work,unless you go outside in the front yard :)

I'm out in the sticks and can't get any TV reception worth a crap,that is because I'm in a Holler,with tall ridges to the South,East and West all I have is a clear view of the North and there isn't any local TV stations from the direction

I've tried,I had a old rotary TV antenna 25 to 35 feet up in the air and it couldn't pull in any of Knoxville's TV station,from where I am at ,nor will a cell phone work,unless you go outside in the front yard :)

Did you try a preamp and/or amplifier?

You ever been to Thorn Hill?

If he can pick up anything with an antenna it will be a miracle.

GM, are you using satellite for your Internet service?

Never had the pleasure.

Lived in Morristown briefly, but that's about as close as I've been.

You ever been to Thorn Hill?

If he can pick up anything with an antenna it will be a miracle.

GM, are you using satellite for your Internet service?

LOL Thorn Hill is out in the sticks for sure Gramps and i have DSL from the phone company for the internet,but all I can get is 3 megs,which is like lighting in a bottle compared to the old dial up,the best I ever got was 28.8kbs for dial up and that was on a good day

LOL Thorn Hill is out in the sticks for sure Gramps and i have DSL from the phone company for the internet,but all I can get is 3 megs,which is like lighting in a bottle compared to the old dial up,the best I ever got was 28.8kbs for dial up and that was on a good day

I am surprised you can get DSL.

Who is the provider, AT&T Uverse?

VN Store

Back