Shave Clubs

VolnTitan

I have been thinking about doing one of those shave clubs like Harry's or Dollar shave club. Anyone have any experiences with either? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

I have been thinking about doing one of those shave clubs like Harry's or Dollar shave club. Anyone have any experiences with either? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

I use dollar shave club and get the four blade razor. For me, the standard Gillette Mach 3 is the best blade I've ever shaved with. If it's a 10.0, the dollar shave club four blade is a 9.3.

Reactions: 1 person
Would highly recommend. As someone who has the slick look, I go through razors like toilet paper. Its a very good deal and their four blade razor is very good IMO

Thanks. I really like Harry's set up. I normally use a 5 blade, but the cartridges are just so damn expensive. Just not sure the quality of the blades.

Gillette had their own shave club. I just buy the huge packs at Sams

Thanks. I really like Harry's set up. I normally use a 5 blade, but the cartridges are just so damn expensive. Just not sure the quality of the blades.

I really cant tell a difference between the ones I have bought at the store before and the ones from the shave club. Plus since they are so cheap, I am always using a new one every other couple of days.

I haven't looked at Dollar Shave Club, but with harry's it asks how often you shave. I shave 2-3 times out of the week (lazy), so they would sent 8 cartridges every 3 months for basically $5 a month. So maybe what makes the shave better is the fact that you would actually be changing cartridges more. When I'm going to the store and paying $15-20 for a pack of 4 cartridges, I tend to use them too long to save them.

Those who have done the clubs, do you get any of their other chaving products?

I haven't looked at Dollar Shave Club, but with harry's it asks how often you shave. I shave 2-3 times out of the week (lazy), so they would sent 8 cartridges every 3 months for basically $5 a month. So maybe what makes the shave better is the fact that you would actually be changing cartridges more. When I'm going to the store and paying $15-20 for a pack of 4 cartridges, I tend to use them too long to save them.

Those who have done the clubs, do you get any of their other chaving products?

Nope, have only gotten razors from DSC

I shave Monday through Friday and can extend the DSC four blade to last two weeks. So every other month I get a four pack of blades

Give the good old safety razor and double edge a try. You can get your blade cost down to $.20 to $.40 and have a great shave.

I've thought about the whole safety razor deal, but every site I see about it, seems to be quite the ordeal in the prep and post work.

You could try a safety razor setup. The razors are not that cheap but you only buy it once. The blades are sharp and cheap as dirt. You only need one good blade to shave.

Something like a Merkur razor and a 100 Feather blades will have you smooth as a baby's butt for a very long time on the cheap.

Amazon.com: safety razor - Merkur / Shaving & Hair Removal / Personal Care: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: 100 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge: Health & Personal Care

Everything will work better and clog was less if you toss the canned shaving cream stuff and try something like Cremo: http://www.amazon.com/Cremo-Astonishingly-Superior-Shave-Cream/dp/B009WQH8SA/ref=sr_1_9?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1440438330&sr=1-9&keywords=shaving+cream

I've thought about the whole safety razor deal, but every site I see about it, seems to be quite the ordeal in the prep and post work.

You don't have to do all that prep. You can simply change to the razor. I will say though that I do take a little extra time now with some prep. It really makes a difference to your skin if you do. I started shaving with a safety razor about 3 years ago. Haven't had an ingrown hair or zit on my neck since.

When I went to sites about saftey razors, they said you should use a pre-shave, a soap with a brush, then after shave lotion, etc. Seems like it isn't suited for a "quick" shave. I just remember my dad always getting nicked with a safety razor.

It isn't. I use one most days. Cremo and a 50's Gillette razor. Rinse often, dry it when you finish. Blades are super cheap.

Edit: Brushes feel great along with a good shaving soap but you absolutely do not need to do this often or at all. I only use Cremo. It lasts longer than a can of the gel junk by far and it is slippery smooth plus doesn't clog up the shaving works.

People make shaving into a freaking ritual for some reason. It doesn't need to be like that at all.

Last edited:
You could try a safety razor setup. The razors are not that cheap but you only buy it once. The blades are sharp and cheap as dirt. You only need one good blade to shave.

Something like a Merkur razor and a 100 Feather blades will have you smooth as a baby's butt for a very long time on the cheap.

Amazon.com: safety razor - Merkur / Shaving & Hair Removal / Personal Care: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: 100 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge: Health & Personal Care

Everything will work better and clog was less if you toss the canned shaving cream stuff and try something like Cremo: http://www.amazon.com/Cremo-Astonishingly-Superior-Shave-Cream/dp/B009WQH8SA/ref=sr_1_9?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1440438330&sr=1-9&keywords=shaving+cream

Good choices. I use Feathers and a Edwin Jagger on the days that I don't use a straight razor. Here is a nice starting set from West Coast Shaving:
Spoil Him a Little Wet Shaving Set | Show Him the Love

When I went to sites about saftey razors, they said you should use a pre-shave, a soap with a brush, then after shave lotion, etc. Seems like it isn't suited for a "quick" shave. I just remember my dad always getting nicked with a safety razor.

Those same people would tell you the same about shaving with what your using now. I will say that throwing the canned goop away and using a good shaving cream or soap will give you a much smoother shave regardless of razor.

You can do a quick shave with a safety razor. Many mornings I shave in the shower with a Safety razor and a puck of shave soap.

VN Store

Back