Amazon Fire Stick

goldenvol

I'm interested in the Fire Stick and was wondering about how volnation likes it.

Some reviews I read said they lost connection quite often.

Is it annoying trying to jump from show to show ?

I would imagine that it only works for one television. Do you have to buy one for every television ?

Can you watch the SEC Network and the local games that air on CBS or other local stations ?

You can't just get ESPN or sec network with Amazon fire unless you already have a cable subscription. You can get sling TV and pay twenty bucks a month for 20 something channels that include sec network and ESPN. But you won't have dvr. I have a roku, and a limited cable package. But when football starts I'm getting my old cable back so I can watch UT football on whatever channel it's on with dvr. Lastly, nothing replaces cable. Nothing...

You can't just get ESPN or sec network with Amazon fire unless you already have a cable subscription. You can get sling TV and pay twenty bucks a month for 20 something channels that include sec network and ESPN. But you won't have dvr. I have a roku, and a limited cable package. But when football starts I'm getting my old cable back so I can watch UT football on whatever channel it's on with dvr. Lastly, nothing replaces cable. Nothing...
Thanks creepy Rob Lowe!

Reactions: 2 people
I have an Apple TV and they all pretty much work the same. Mine only works on one tv at a time. You will need cable or someone to give you their log in to get ESPN, etc. You will not get local channels. Will need rabbit ears for that

Why would you need it to watch local stations? Just use an HD antenna

Thanks for the answers.

Just like I figured I can downgrade my dish package and get the fire stick for my main television.

That way I keep local television and the SEC network.

I have Apple TV, fire stick and roku. Roku is the best imo. Fire stick would be my last choice. Connection is horrible

I have Apple TV, fire stick and roku. Roku is the best imo. Fire stick would be my last choice. Connection is horrible

Our fire stick connection is fine.

Question for some of you guys though, I didn't have fire stick for the games last year so I'm not sure how it works. I have the Watch ESPN app on my fire stick that gets ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U and SEC Network. Will I be able to watch any live games on those channels through that app or is there some kind of weird, broadcast rule agaisnt that? I've never used Watch ESPN before so I just wasn't sure. TIA.

Last edited:
Our fire stick connection is fine.

Question for some of you guys though, I didn't have fire stick for the games last year so I'm not sure how it works. I have the Watch ESPN app on my fire stick that gets ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U and SEC Network. Will I be able to watch any live games on those channels through that app or is there some kind of weird, broadcast rule agaisnt that? I've never used Watch ESPN before so I just wasn't sure. TIA.

As long as you have a subscription login (doesn't have to be your own) then you can watch all those channels live.

FYI there is about a 45 second to 1 minute delay from your friends watching on conventional TV. If you are the type that texts your friends during games they could spoil things.

Why would you need it to watch local stations? Just use an HD antenna

As long as you're in range. Even if you are more than likely you'll need to spend at least 50 dollars if not 100s on an antenna to pick up all the channels the vols might be on this year.

As long as you're in range. Even if you are more than likely you'll need to spend at least 50 dollars if not 100s on an antenna to pick up all the channels the vols might be on this year.

Just for local channels like CBS? Nah, an inexpensive HD antenna (mine was $30-40) will serve the majority of people just fine. Very few would ever need one that costs hundreds of dollars

Just for local channels like CBS? Nah, an inexpensive HD antenna (mine was $30-40) will serve the majority of people just fine. Very few would ever need one that costs hundreds of dollars

Again. You have to be in range. I live about 20 miles outside of Nashville and with a good set top HD antenna, I couldn't reach any of the nashville stations.

Again. You have to be in range. I live about 20 miles outside of Nashville and with a good set top HD antenna, I couldn't reach any of the nashville stations.

You need an antenna that will do the range required. I'm not sure you had a good one if it had a range under 20mi. You have to match the hardware to your needs. There are sites that will help figure out which is best

With Fire Stick you still have to a subscription to SlingTV , Hulu, Prime, or Netflix to receive content via internet (YouTube is free). We have two and in reality it is more about the signal strength of your wireless router. I just bought a newer ac router and it has improved my reception. It also depends on how many people are using devices at any single time. I would suggest getting a wireless newer ac router.

I live in a rural area and I have basic cable, SlingTV , Prime, and Netflix. Still $20 cheaper each month than next level of cable and a greater variety of what I want to watch. Plus I can use Sling TV, Netflix, and Prime on my laptop when I travel.

Last edited:
I should say, I am 20ish miles from downtown nashville, but maybe bit further from actual stations. That said, other factors such as hills, etc can affect it. I tried a number of higher end antennas that didn't work. A buddy of mine also in franklin had the same issue, so he put a large one in his attic and works well. I tried a few years ago but haven't since

If your internet connection is strong and nearby, the fire TV stick is good. I'm actually using mine right now and never have any buffering problems or issues with sound/video not syncing. It works well for me since I have Amazon prime. I got the stick just a few weeks ago for $25 at Best Buy, so there are discounts to be had. So far I'm a fan.

this site can help you find some local broadcast stations.
AntennaWeb - Stations

I agree the stick is fine if it getting the signal. When it was in the room, the signal was fine. But move it to another TV in the house, and it is flighty. I have it connect Ed to a TV that is directly below where the cable modem is and I loose connection all the time. Regardless, I like the os of the roku better

VN Store

Back