James Harrison Returns Sons' Participation Trophies

I bet he is. Hard to see it as a worse lesson than continually celebrating "showing up".

He's learning the basics of the sport and to enjoy playing. Telling a kid that isn't correct is depriving him of what sports at that age should be all about. They're not work and they should be learning instead of worrying about who wins and how many each scored

He's learning the basics of the sport and to enjoy playing. Telling a kid that isn't correct is depriving him of what sports at that age should be all about. They're not work and that she should be learning instead of worrying about who wins and how many each scored

kids don't want to win?

I've got no problem with low stakes sports for fun - agree that's what it should be at that age.

However, that doesn't mean we should lavish "awards" on kids for just having fun. Think about the message - you should constantly be rewarded for having fun; doing something.

I'd argue that awarding kids for doing what they should naturally be doing is conditioning them to expect constant praise.

How about a compromise - play for fun and your reward is you had fun. When it gets competitive, reward achievement rather than participation.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm still waiting for Freak to mail me my VolNation participation award. Slacker.

Reactions: 1 person
At that age the kids forget who won as soon as the game is over. I hardly think a small little trophy at the end of the season for a 5-6yo is lavish. If you can't celebrate the little things at that age then you're simply missing out as a parent

Going off the deep end on this one prof

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder what percentage of VN posters have kids and what percentage either rejected or returned their child's trophy from soccer/t-ball/grasshopper football if the child's team didn't win a championship?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I wonder what percentage of VN posters have kids and what percentage either rejected or returned their child's trophy from soccer/t-ball/grasshopper football/spelling bee's?

Let's not forget participation trophies from kindergarten and preschool graduation ceremonies

At that age the kids forget who won as soon as the game is over. I hardly think a small little trophy at the end of the season for a 5-6yo is lavish. If you can't celebrate the little things at that age then you're simply missing out as a parent

Going off the deep end on this one prof

Those weren't small trophies.

Why does celebration need to include trophies which are typically reserved to signify winning some type of competition.

How about a party or picnic or something with the team? Or take your kid out to his favorite restaurant?

I wonder what percentage of VN posters have kids and what percentage either rejected or returned their child's trophy from soccer/t-ball/grasshopper football if the child's team didn't win a championship?

Let's not forget participation trophies from kindergarten and preschool graduation ceremonies

If I had kids, I'd wouldn't return them since everyone is getting them but I'd sure discuss the difference between participation and outcomes.

We've seen the emergence of an entitled generation. I've seen the high school aged kid for the last 25 years and there is no doubt the current batch is the most entitled, self centered in that time. The growth in the "I'm offended by that therefore you must stop and/or be punished" phenomenon is accelerating. Microaggressions, trigger warnings, speech codes - all these are connected to the self-focused person.

I'm not saying one trophy does this but I agree with Harrison's point that making a big deal (large trophy) out of just showing up is problematic.

If I had kids, I'd wouldn't return them since everyone is getting them but I'd sure discuss the difference between participation and outcomes.

We've seen the emergence of an entitled generation. I've seen the high school aged kid for the last 25 years and there is no doubt the current batch is the most entitled, self centered in that time. The growth in the "I'm offended by that therefore you must stop and/or be punished" phenomenon is accelerating. Microaggressions, trigger warnings, speech codes - all these are connected to the self-focused person.

I'm not saying one trophy does this but I agree with Harrison's point that making a big deal (large trophy) out of just showing up is problematic.

So your outrage is directly correlated to the size of the trophy? Big participation trophies ruin our country, but small ones are cool?

So your outrage is directly correlated to the size of the trophy? Big participation trophies ruin our country, but small ones are cool?

I'm not outraged. Jeez why does this always turn into exaggeration.

I'm stating an opinion. I'm not starting a petition or calling for boycott.

The rest of your comment is just dumb - that's obviously not what I'm saying.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not outraged. Jeez why does this always turn into exaggeration.

I'm stating an opinion. I'm not starting a petition or calling for boycott.

The rest of your comment is just dumb - that's obviously not what I'm saying.

The nomenclature is irrelevant. Call it what you want, but you are in someway upset about this.

So back to the question: do you really believe the size of the trophy is relevant? Bigger trophies lead to more entitled kids.

Bigger trophies=more entitled kids.

Is that not what you just stated here? That only big trophies are the problem?

I'd say that part of the participation movement is that, like Play60 has noticed, kids just don't get out and play anymore. It's all about video games and computers and sedentary lifestyles. So if the idea of participation being rewarded is what needs to happen to get the kids outside to work off energy and stay healthy, then it might be worthwhile. If you can convince the kids to enjoy the game (through honoring participation) early, then once they understand the game they can start to play because they want to win.

Last edited:
Those weren't small trophies.

Why does celebration need to include trophies which are typically reserved to signify winning some type of competition.

How about a party or picnic or something with the team? Or take your kid out to his favorite restaurant?
There is no difference in your solution and a trophy. It rewards the same action.

The phrase "participation trophy" is so overused these days. Surprised so many have fallen for the marketing since these types of rewards have been around since I was that age. Kid's at such a young age should be taught to simply enjoy the sport and learn how to play it. If for some the trophy increases enjoyment then so be it. Forcing a 5-6yo to take his sport seriously is asinine. I saw a couple of those parents in my son's league last season and it was laugh out loud hilarious

And just for the record:

No, trophies do not make children any more or any less entitled. If you want to truly understand why children are entitled (assuming they are more entitled than previous generations), then ask yourself why do these trophies exist?

Surely you don't think the school wants to spend the extra money? The only reason these things exist is to satisfy the parents.

So if our children are more entitled than previous generations, and you blame the trophy, you're a ****ing retard.

I'd say that part of the participation movement is that, like Play60 has noticed, kids just don't get out and play anymore. It's all about video games and computers and sedentary lifestyles. So if the idea of participation being rewarded is what needs to happen to get the kids outside to work off energy and stay healthy, then it might be worthwhile. If you can convince the kids (through honoring participation) early, then once they understand the game they can start to play because they want to win.

And positive reenforcement is important to society. Children don't have to play sports, they can sit at home on their ass if they chose.

So there's nothing wrong with rewarding positive behavior.

VN Store

Back