Samsung Safe Truck

Coug

Pretty cool.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZetSRWchM4w[/youtube]

The idea is really simple. Any truck could be converted to that.

Of course it's only a matter of time before they start using it to slap advertising on the back of trucks.

It's a good idea, in theory. However, a simpler and cheaper solution would be to make driving around big trucks a part of driver education in every country. I know that in the US, it is non-existent. The average person in a car has no understanding that a vehicle that potentially weighs 80 thousand pounds (or more) can't stop on a dime. Nor do they seem to understand why a truck needs to swing wide in making turns or accelerates so slowly from a stop.

It's a good idea, in theory. However, a simpler and cheaper solution would be to make driving around big trucks a part of driver education in every country. I know that in the US, it is non-existent. The average person in a car has no understanding that a vehicle that potentially weighs 80 thousand pounds (or more) can't stop on a dime. Nor do they seem to understand why a truck needs to swing wide in making turns or accelerates so slowly from a stop.

I agree with you on the driver training, but I think it goes beyond that. One of the biggest dangers imo of driving behind a large truck is that you can no longer see what's happening ahead, which means you're largely dependent on that driver being aware... and sometimes they aren't. If you can see ahead then it makes it solves that problem (e.g. if you can see that traffic is stopping ahead then you can start slowing down whether the truck in front of you is slowing down or not).

I agree with you on the driver training, but I think it goes beyond that. One of the biggest dangers imo of driving behind a large truck is that you can no longer see what's happening ahead, which means you're largely dependent on that driver being aware... and sometimes they aren't. If you can see ahead then it makes it solves that problem (e.g. if you can see that traffic is stopping ahead then you can start slowing down whether the truck in front of you is slowing down or not).

Have you ever seen the signs on the back of a truck that read "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you?" A truck driver can't help someone who is tailgating.

Have you ever seen the signs on the back of a truck that read "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you?" A truck driver can't help someone who is tailgating.

I'm not talking about tailgating. You could be 3-4 car lengths behind a big truck (or a boxtruck for that matter) and still be able to see what's happening in front of the truck. It's not uncommon in Atlanta to be traveling the speed limit on the interstate at one point, and then to have it come to a complete stop. If you can't see ahead that the traffic is stopped, and the truck driver in front of you isn't paying attention, then you are going to be in an accident through no fault of your own.

Seems like two different issues are being argued here. This is to give those behind a truck on a 2-lane road the ability to know, before they start to drift over the line to pass the truck, that they won't be in a head-on collision. The point of this isn't to help you drive behind a truck, but instead, to help you safely pass a truck.

Seems like two different issues are being argued here. This is to give those behind a truck on a 2-lane road the ability to know, before they start to drift over the line to pass the truck, that they won't be in a head-on collision. The point of this isn't to help you drive behind a truck, but instead, to help you safely pass a truck.

As Donald Trump said during the debates... "I fully understand". The point of this is to be able to "see through" the trailer and not be blinded by what is happening ahead. The example given is being able to see if it is clear to pass, but that certainly does not mean that there are not other benefits to being able to "see through" a tractor-trailer. To argue there is only one, singular use/benefit of this technology is crazy.

I stated that I agreed with MG in my first post, but then "added" that this would also serve the benefit of being able to see traffic conditions ahead versus only seeing the backside of a tractor-trailer, which can be a dangerous thing in Atlanta and likely other areas.

As Donald Trump said during the debates... "I fully understand". The point of this is to be able to "see through" the trailer and not be blinded by what is happening ahead. The example given is being able to see if it is clear to pass, but that certainly does not mean that there are not other benefits to being able to "see through" a tractor-trailer. To argue there is only one, singular use/benefit of this technology is crazy.

I stated that I agreed with MG in my first post, but then "added" that this would also serve the benefit of being able to see traffic conditions ahead versus only seeing the backside of a tractor-trailer, which can be a dangerous thing in Atlanta and likely other areas.

I agree that there are other issues, but the video clearly states that the issue this is made to battle is passing trucks on small roads. I simply came in to say MG's entire argument (re: stopping capabilities and the turn radius of a truck) is immaterial as it has nothing to do with the reasoning given for the technology in the video. No matter how good you are at driving around trucks and how well you understand their turning radius, you will still be blind to oncoming traffic you will potentially drive into beyond the front of the truck, which is the problem being solved.

I agree that there are other issues, but the video clearly states that the issue this is made to battle is passing trucks on small roads. I simply came in to say MG's entire argument (re: stopping capabilities and the turn radius of a truck) is immaterial as it has nothing to do with the reasoning given for the technology in the video. No matter how good you are at driving around trucks and how well you understand their turning radius, you will still be blind to oncoming traffic you will potentially drive into beyond the front of the truck, which is the problem being solved.

crussee... again, I fully understand. However, below is MG's initial response to my post.

All I was suggesting is that there are other benefits to this technology, and he leaps to a defense that if one isn't tailgating then there isn't a problem when following a big truck. If that's what he believes then he is sadly mistaken.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back