Beginner's Compound Bow Help

gatorhater5

Senior VFL
I am thinking about getting into shooting a compound bow for fun. I doubt that I will ever go hunting but I am interested in target shooting.

I've never shot a bow before. Any suggestions for a good beginner's bow? My price range is in the $350 ballpark.

I'm no archery expert by if I were in your position I'd look hard at the Diamond Infinite Edge.

I am thinking about getting into shooting a compound bow for fun. I doubt that I will ever go hunting but I am interested in target shooting.

I've never shot a bow before. Any suggestions for a good beginner's bow? My price range is in the $350 ballpark.

Check out Craigslist for sure. I buy a new bow every couple years and when I sell mine I lose my butt on them. They don't hold value like guns IMO. Just search anything by Hoyt or Matthews you'll be able to get one in that range if you try now. Bow season will be starting soon and they will skyrocket. Another suggestion buy a good target and release. If your arrows blow through a cheap target you'll go through fletchings like crazy. One option also if your close to one is to go use Gander Mountains bow range. I think its like 4 dollars. They have good targets and it'll help being in an controlled enviourment. Good luck

If you just want to do it for fun get a recurve.

That's just my opinion if you are getting into for the fun of it.

Recurve. Modern bows just take any challenge out of it

No release either just use your fingers

Reactions: 2 people
I've shot recurves and compounds for almost 20 years. If you have never shot before, go to a shop. Let them set you up with a bow that is the proper draw length if you go the compound route. Just know $350 doesn't go far once you consider bow, arrows, rest, sights, peep, and so on. My arrows alone are $140/dozen.

PSE Stinger

Can't go wrong with bow tech or matthews, but you won't buy a new model for $350.

A bow is something you need to shoot before you buy. I suggest going somewhere like bass pro and shooting different models.

If your just interested in target shooting, then you could pick a slower more forgiving bow with a long brace height.

After you find a model you like you can look on Craigslist or ebay for good deals.

I got a great deal off of eBay on a brand new bow when a new model was coming out and a dealer was selling the old model to clear space for his new one's coming in.

Thanks for the help so far. I plan on going to a pro shop in Morristown and the Bass Pro at Exit 407 to test some bows out. As far as accessories and targets go, I am not including those in the $350 price. I planned to spend more on those.

From reviews I have read, I think I am leaning toward a Diamond Infinite Edge Black Ops bow. It's in my price range and very adjustable with different draw weights and lengths.

Look at eBay also.

Ebay has several bowtech admirals for your price range.

I shot this bow several years ago when it came out and fell in love with it, but I had just bought a new bow the year before.

It is super quite and had zero hand shock to it. Very smooth draw. By far the best bow I've ever shot.

Recurve. Modern bows just take any challenge out of it

No release either just use your fingers

This. I have a 62" Samick Sage with a 55lb draw. I prefer it over my compound. I like the challenge of shooting recurves. Finally got to where I can group them to a pie pan size at a little over 35 yds. If I wanted to shoot accurately out to a 100 yds, I'll just use my gun.

This. I have a 62" Samick Sage with a 55lb draw. I prefer it over my compound. I like the challenge of shooting recurves. Finally got to where I can group them to a pie pan size at a little over 35 yds. If I wanted to shoot accurately out to a 100 yds, I'll just use my gun.

That's the exact bow I've been interested in. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help so far. I plan on going to a pro shop in Morristown and the Bass Pro at Exit 407 to test some bows out. As far as accessories and targets go, I am not including those in the $350 price. I planned to spend more on those.

From reviews I have read, I think I am leaning toward a Diamond Infinite Edge Black Ops bow. It's in my price range and very adjustable with different draw weights and lengths.

Just a note, once the draw length is set, you won't want to change it much. Probably not at all. Your draw length is your draw length.

Also, you'll want to buy some wax to put on the strong after you shoot. Not fun to be replacing the string every other year.

That's the exact bow I've been interested in. Thoughts?

Great bow. Since it is a take down, you can swap out limbs for heavier or lighter draw weight. If you want to stay old school the arrow shelf is more than adequate and you'll have to learn one of the sighting methods. There are spots for putting sights, an arrow rest, and a stabilizer if you want to trick it out.

Great bow. Since it is a take down, you can swap out limbs for heavier or lighter draw weight. If you want to stay old school the arrow shelf is more than adequate and you'll have to learn one of the sighting methods. There are spots for putting sights, an arrow rest, and a stabilizer if you want to trick it out.

Thanks. I'm really interested in a take down bow, and this is the one my research has pointed me to.

Keep in mind that draw weights are a little bit deceiving if you are used to a compound. I have been told that you only need 30 lbs and over to hunt deer. 40 and over for elk. 50 will take down any North American mammal. Due to no let off, you have to have a strong shoulder and upper back to draw and hold.

Keep in mind that draw weights are a little bit deceiving if you are used to a compound. I have been told that you only need 30 lbs and over to hunt deer. 40 and over for elk. 50 will take down any North American mammal. Due to no let off, you have to have a strong shoulder and upper back to draw and hold.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a lot of people say they had no problem hunting with 35lb limbs on the Sage. I'd probably start there and buy something heavier later after I got used to the bow.

VN Store

Back