Visiting from Oklahoma

crash02

4 of us will be coming in on the 10th of September for the OU vs Tenn game. We have never been to Knoxville before. I am here to ask you what there is to do around town. What restaurants, bars, pubs do you recommend? Are there any that we should avoid? Is there anything non sports related that is a must do/see while we are there?

We still haven't got tickets yet. Most people around here aren't giving them up. What are the chances of getting tickets outside of the stadium on game day? We would like to stay in the $300 per ticket range. This will be my first time in an SEC stadium and I have my expectations set pretty high. I have heard Neyland Stadium is one of the best in the nation, so I am prepared to be impressed.

4 of us will be coming in on the 10th of September for the OU vs Tenn game. We have never been to Knoxville before. I am here to ask you what there is to do around town. What restaurants, bars, pubs do you recommend? Are there any that we should avoid? Is there anything non sports related that is a must do/see while we are there?

We still haven't got tickets yet. Most people around here aren't giving them up. What are the chances of getting tickets outside of the stadium on game day? We would like to stay in the $300 per ticket range. This will be my first time in an SEC stadium and I have my expectations set pretty high. I have heard Neyland Stadium is one of the best in the nation, so I am prepared to be impressed.

Our stadium is a one of kind experience. When the crowd is pumped.. It is deafing

Here are a few good restaurants that you will defiantly want to visit.
1. Best Burger and Bakery Littons-market-and-restaurant
2. Best steak Ye Olde Steak House
3. Best BBQ Dead End BBQ or Calhoun's

Last edited:
Market Square in the center of the downtown central business district. Several food options.

Litton's is way overrated.

Reactions: 2 people
You can go the usual touristy thing of Smoky Mtns/Dollywood/Pigeon Forge/Townsend or if you're adventurous try renting a pontoon boat or jet skies on Norris, Fort Loudon, Tellico, Douglas, Cherokee, or Watts Bar Lakes. Maybe rent at Fort Loudon Marina and cruise Tellico Lake/Fort Loudon Lake and even go through the Fort Loudon Dam lock onto Watts Bar.

http://www.lakeloudounliving.com/lake-guide/marinas/boat-rental

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
As far as pre-game, hang out in the areas west of the stadium or wander down to the river just south of the stadium. The bars are northwest of the stadium along Cumberland Avenue about a mile away.

Park here... just east of downtown and UT. $10 to park and $5 or $6/person bus ride if you don't care to walk about a mile to the stadium:
http://www.knoxvillecoliseum.com/parking/ut-football

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on anything on east magnolia of cherry street is great! I'll make sure we hit that up Thursday night!

Thanks 1725 we will check them out.

Thunder thanks for all the help. If it wasn't such a long haul we would tow our boat there. We will probably park where you are suggesting.

Volosaurus. I can't believe I missed the Vols Tailgating, Visitor and Gathering Guide forum. Rookie move there. :eek: Thanks for the help.

It's not a well-marked trail. You will find those threads only by first clicking on the "Board Home" icon from the "Forums" dropdown menu.

I'd say at least go to the mountains one day. You don't necessarily have to do the Smokies and the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg tourist traps (although the Peddler in Gatlinburg has the best steaks by far).

There are all kinds of parks and state/national forests within a couple hours of Knoxville.

Upper East Tennessee around the Tri-Cities (particularly the area around Erwin) is my personal favorite, but I'd say google it up and see what suits you. You can eat good food almost anywhere, but hills like these are pretty rare at least as far as I'm concerned.

Don't like mountains/hills? That's cool, as has already been mentioned, we've got some damn fine lakes around here, too.

Thanks for the heads up on anything on east magnolia of cherry street is great! I'll make sure we hit that up Thursday night!

Thanks 1725 we will check them out.

Thunder thanks for all the help. If it wasn't such a long haul we would tow our boat there. We will probably park where you are suggesting.

Volosaurus. I can't believe I missed the Vols Tailgating Guide forum. Rookie move there. :eek: Thanks for the help.

CarbonVol was having a little fun with you. Nothing to do/see on east Magnolia / Cherry St.

If you have a spare day, hike Mt Leconte. It might make you forget about the game.

I'm from Chattanooga(1.5 hours drive south of Knoxville) I recommend getting tickets before you get here cause it'll be a sell out. I really like the ale steak at the copper cellar. Calhoun's is also a good choice. As an out of town I advise being to the stadium early. Eat around 3:30 get into the staduim and watch the pregame traditions.

Anything on east magnolia of cherry street is great!
Me and a friend a few years ago was coming back from Nashville late night going back home to Tri Cities. Apparently we was running on fumes and had to take cherry st. exit. As soon as I pulled in gas station car engine shoot off and I threw my debit card in pump and filled my tank and when I was done all lights went out... Then I got the hell out of there.

Christian-Newsom murders were a couple of blocks off of Cherry Street. Tony Williams (former Vol OL and motorcycle cop) was shot and killed 26 years ago on the Cherry Street ramp to I-40.

I'd say at least go to the mountains one day. You don't necessarily have to do the Smokies and the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg tourist traps (although the Peddler in Gatlinburg has the best steaks by far).

There are all kinds of parks and state/national forests within a couple hours of Knoxville.

Upper East Tennessee around the Tri-Cities (particularly the area around Erwin) is my personal favorite, but I'd say google it up and see what suits you. You can eat good food almost anywhere, but hills like these are pretty rare at least as far as I'm concerned.

Don't like mountains/hills? That's cool, as has already been mentioned, we've got some damn fine lakes around here, too.

Within the spirit of those comments, here are two gems within our state park system that are definitely worthy of your consideration and are far less heavily visited than the Smokies: Roan Mountain State Park — Tennessee State Parks and Fall Creek Falls State Park — Tennessee State Parks.

Fall Creek is a great place to camp,just be sure and get all the scraps of food out of your site or the skunks and coons will pay you a visit late at night:)

will there be any scalped tickets for them to buy ? it is a big game,if your looking for scalped tickets,I would assume to get there early ? and dicker about the prices :)

VN Store

Back