Advice on Living Abroad?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
I have an opportunity to move to Quito Ecuador next year. I want to make a good decision, so I want to consider it from all angles....a few details:

We would go for probably just 2 years. The wife and I just need a little adventure and we could actually save quite a bit of money earning American $ and living a cosmopolitan lifestyle in South America. We don't have kids (part of the reason we feel the need for adventure). The wife has dreams of volunteering at an orphanage hoping they will give us a baby (pie in the sky). I speak Spanish fluently.

Who here has lived abroad and can give tips or insights about what I need to factor. Please tell me why you lived abroad, too (military, church mission trip, etc.).

Hopefully a ring of one human, with the best of intentions. LOL

Rescuing a kid from the 3rd world is something that would definitely give my life more meaning.

I lived abroad.

The major thing is the fact that you know the language fluently.

Aside from that, the rest is a matter of will verse way. If you have the will (true will verse a fleeting infatuation), there is a way. With this, I'm talking about missing home, adjustments in life style, inevitable food poisoning, cultural differences, government extortion, cultural extortion, etc.

Normally, when I have these conversations about people who are thinking about taking the plunge overseas, I tell them to stop thinking about it and just do it. The more you think about it, the more reasons, issues, and potential difficulties (both internally and externally) you will find (see the short list in the paragraph above).

The problem with contemplating this sort of thing is that your mind, while sitting at home, can be very creative about possible negative (some of which might actually happen if the truth be told). However, the deceptive trap is that the benefits of living abroad can't really be known until you actually experience it.

In conclusion, if you speak the language, have a true will to go (only you know this in your heart), and it makes sense to do so at this point in your life (again, only you know this based on your own life ideals), quit contemplating about it and just take the plunge. You won't regret it.

Rescuing a kid from the 3rd world is something that would definitely give my life more meaning.

Knowing your past situation, I do hope you and your wife's dreams come true in this regard.

Best advice I can give you is to assimilate into the culture as best as you can and as fast as you can. Nothing will ever change the fact you are an American. But speaking the language gives you a serious leg up in the game. Learn all you can about the local customs before you go, but fact check that once you get on the ground there. And learn the local laws before going.

Reactions: 1 person
Knowing your past situation, I do hope you and your wife's dreams come true in this regard.

Best advice I can give you is to assimilate into the culture as best as you can and as fast as you can. Nothing will ever change the fact you are an American. But speaking the language gives you a serious leg up in the game. Learn all you can about the local customs before you go, but fact check that once you get on the ground there. And learn the local laws before going.

Good call. The reason we chose Ecuador is I have a friend who just got back from there. He was there a month and is going back from January to August next year. He would be there when we get there, and would help a lot with the assimilation.

I would visit a couple times. Make sure you guys a fully comfortable there before you make a commitment.

Have been to Quito several times and for extended lengths of time for work and I wouldnt really consider it a 3rd world country type of area.

Have been to Quito several times and for extended lengths of time for work and I wouldnt really consider it a 3rd world country type of area.

Yeah, that's how I understand it, though I think Ecuador as a whole is classified as 3rd worl.

You like?

I've never lived abroad but have adopted internationally. Check out the adoption rules for Equador before going - any international adoption agency should be able to help you. I have friends who got 'trapped' in Cambodia for over two years waiting for the adoption situation to clear up between Cambodia and the US. They fell in love with infant twins but couldn't get them out of the country for a long time.

Regardless of whether you adopt or not, it sounds like a good opportunity. I think stepping out of the comfort zone is the way to go unless it is a foolhardy.

There's a psychadelic lichen that grows in the mountains there. We are obligated to investigate, imo.

crystal-fairy-poster-header.jpg

Yeah, that's how I understand it, though I think Ecuador as a whole is classified as 3rd worl.

You like?

It's a decent city, prefer Manta, but still a decent place. Dont know if I would live there though, crime is pretty high.......like Detroit high, and its very polluted. Just not a place I would like to spend more time at than I had to. JMO

Did you get altitude sickness there? I've lived at 6,000 feet and never had a problem, but 10,000 is crazy

Read thread title wrong - thought it was seeking advice for living with a broad.

carry on

Did you get altitude sickness there? I've lived at 6,000 feet and never had a problem, but 10,000 is crazy

Only for a couple of days. Drink plenty of water and take a few ibuprofen before you go. It affects everyone differently, but normally doesnt last very long.....like a bad hangover

I have an opportunity to move to Quito Ecuador next year. I want to make a good decision, so I want to consider it from all angles....a few details:

We would go for probably just 2 years. The wife and I just need a little adventure and we could actually save quite a bit of money earning American $ and living a cosmopolitan lifestyle in South America. We don't have kids (part of the reason we feel the need for adventure). The wife has dreams of volunteering at an orphanage hoping they will give us a baby (pie in the sky). I speak Spanish fluently.

Who here has lived abroad and can give tips or insights about what I need to factor. Please tell me why you lived abroad, too (military, church mission trip, etc.).

DO IT!!!! I made a terrible decision one time not to move to the US Virgin Islands for a year and regret it to this day (just for 1 year). Biggest thing I've learned of living abroad (20 years military) be up to date on vaccines, make sure your rent is converted to US dollars, obviously safety is paramount and last....take tons of pictures and video. I've been thinking about moving to Panama in the next 5 years, just wanna make sure all my ducks are in a row and my kid is through college.

Thanks

yeah, one of the attractive things about Ecuador is they use the dollar.

Also, what's a Vol doing in Vegas? How is it living there? I think I'd get burnt out pretty quick.

Did you know we have more in common as a species with fungus than plants do? Crazy

VN Store

Back