Family vacation spots

Hello Vols,

Recently got back from a family vacation and want to share and gain some information for excellent family vacations. Here are some I've taken with my family of 4 that we loved.

Phoenix/Scottsdale Arizona = absolutely blown away by the beauty and adventure. People were friendly. Made day trips to Sedona and Grand Canyon and were stunned by the beauty. Also toured around Phoenix and saw old western towns and ASU. My boys loved it.

San Diego = people treated us great and the weather is as good as advertised. Need to make another trip to see it all. Stayed in Old Town and loved it.

Gatlinburg = what more to say. Fun, adventure in state park and of course the boys loved touring UT's campus.

St. Augustine Florida = good for family and not just a couple retreat. We loved the history and plenty of good food and tours to do.

Boone, NC = charming city and Appalachian State campus us fun and beautiful. Lots of hiking and fresh air. Nice escape from laptops and smartphones.

NYC = almost overwhelming but the experience is worth it. No way to be bored in the big apple.

Tampa/Orlando = I live here and staying near home for vacation is great. Beaches and theme parks plus state parks such as Hillsborough River and Myakka offer beauty and hiking.

All these are domestic and we've really enjoyed. Thinking about Wyoming or Colorado next. What say you?

Reactions: 1 person
Western South Dakota. Custer National Forest, Mt. Rushmore, Spearfish Canyon, Lead, Black Hills, Crazy Horse Memorial. Even Sturgis if you avoid the biker rally (not a family event).

Devil's Tower is not too far away in Wyoming.

It's a lot of driving, but it's an awesome part of the country.

Cant go wrong with any of the Florida panhandle destinations. New Orleans can be fun too despite its seedy reputation.

Cruises can be great for families. Age appropriate activities for everyone.

I thought Oregon was beautiful, we went up there a couple days before the game in 2013 and would like to go back.

I'd like to take trips to Boston and San Diego sometime as well.

Getting ready to pack the family into the family truckster for a trip to Wallyworld next week. Wish me luck!

Reactions: 2 people
For what it costs to go.on a vacation in the US you can go to Mexico to an all inclusive for just a little more...

Highlands, NC

Destin FL area.

Gatlinburg is the most fun for kids....just a lot of young kid/teenager crap to do.

I don't like to fly so these are the regular rotation trips for us.

What is in Highlands? That wouldn't be a bad trip for me.

I thought Oregon was beautiful, we went up there a couple days before the game in 2013 and would like to go back.

I'd like to take trips to Boston and San Diego sometime as well.

We're done big this sometime in next couple years. Have a nephew going to college in Portland.

Reactions: 1 person
For what it costs to go.on a vacation in the US you can go to Mexico to an all inclusive for just a little more...

We've done that. It's ok but lacks comfort and exploring outside resort. Never felt safe in Playa del Carmen. Conversely, we loved the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica.

For older kids, Tuscon, Arizona area is very nice. UA, museums, National Parks and Monuments nearby have excellent hiking, There is an awesome observatory about an hour out in the desert which has night time showings. Summer time is too hot however.

San Deigo is a great trip.
1. Zoo
2. Sea world
3. Safari
4. Lego land
5. Disneyland is only 1.5 away
6. Gaslight district
7. Weather

Washington DC is a good place to take a family and a good learning experience for you and the children.

I am stingy. We always stayed in the Dulles or Alexandria areas to save on lodging. It is actually an inexpensive vacation. Many of the major things to see and do are free. Our children and grandchildren loved it.

Washington DC is a good place to take a family and a good learning experience for you and the children.

I am stingy. We always stayed in the Dulles or Alexandria areas to save on lodging. It is actually an inexpensive vacation. Many of the major things to see and do are free. Our children and grandchildren loved it.

This is the next trip we are planning. Thanks Gramps. I want to see a great deal of country before the boys hit American History in 9th grade.

VN Store

Back