Kidney Removal

VolnTitan

So on Monday I get to have a nephrectomy surgery. They found a large mass on my kidney and looks to be cancerous. The "good" news is the doctors feel that by removing the kidney, I'll be cancer free. Looks like it hasn't spread anywhere. So I do feel "lucky" in that respect. But as it gets closer, I'm getting a bit nervous. I've never had surgery except for when I got my tonsils out at the doctor's office 45 years ago. I just wondering if anyone in Vol land has had this surgery and what to expect. Also, while not a religious man, I'll take whatever good thoughts got out there...if you want.

Thanks!

I really think (hope) that everything will be just fine. The first piece of advice my doctor said when I asked best way to live with one kidney was "don't donate it". They feel really good that due to a "wall of tissue" that has built around it over the years that I'll be 100% cancer free after kidney removal. Now I'm "worried" about the operation itself since I've never had one.

Sorry to hear this, I had a cousin to go through the same thing last year. His cancer was just on one kidney, and he's been free of it since the surgery. Praying for the best for you as well.

Sorry to hear this, I had a cousin to go through the same thing last year. His cancer was just on one kidney, and he's been free of it since the surgery. Praying for the best for you as well.

Thanks Joe...good to hear other's experiences.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Consider yourself lucky, bearcat had his kidney removed in a bathtub after a night with a lady in Nuevo Laredo.

Reactions: 4 people
Prayers for you and the family. Everything will work out and you'll be back posting on VN in no time. Just hope you have a cute nurse :)

Prayers for you and the family. Everything will work out and you'll be back posting on VN in no time. Just hope you have a cute nurse :)

I do...my wife! She is a nurse. As silly as it sounds, some of the "worry" steams from the uncomfortable stuff like sponge bath, catheter (really not looking forward to this)...she says she will handle all that since she is off (school nurse now on summer break).

Sounds silly, but y'all have really help alleviate some of the nervousness. Thanks!!!!

I do...my wife! She is a nurse. As silly as it sounds, some of the "worry" steams from the uncomfortable stuff like sponge bath, catheter (really not looking forward to this)...she says she will handle all that since she is off (school nurse now on summer break).

Sounds silly, but y'all have really help alleviate some of the nervousness. Thanks!!!!

Ok, I've had something similar done before. I had the ureter (sp) (tube that connects the kidney to the badder) repaired and dead tissue (for lack of a better word) removed from the kidney itself. They didn't remove the entire thing though.

I believe that since they are removing the whole kidney, they can do your surgery laparoscopicly (sp). So they would make a couple small incisions and remove the kidney in pieces with "little robot arms". Since they were doing repairs on mine, they needed more room to be able to get in there with their hands. I have a 13-14" scar going all the way around my left side right under my ribs. If what I believe is true, you might not have quite as invasive of a procedure and healing will be a lot easier on you. Hope that's the case.

As far as the hospital goes, it's great that your wife can be there to help you. While I was in there the shift change for the nurses was always annoying because going from a good nurse to a crappy one just makes you feel even worse. Glad she will be there for you.

I won't lie to you, having the catheter in there isn't fun. But you aren't awake when they put it in and you will be doped up until well after they remove it. I was in the hospital 5 days if I remember right. And they wouldn't let me go home until I could relieve myself on my own. Hopefully that is the case for you too so you don't have to go home with one.

Hope some of this helps with preparing you for what might happen. I'm obviously no doctor as my spelling and descriptions show pretty clearly lol, but you're going to be ok man! You won't feel much pain at all while you're in the hospital. The morphine drip will take care of that. Best of luck to you. You're in good hands so don't worry too much

Thanks Give All...that helps alot. Yes, having a wife who is a nurse who used to work in hospital setting, is great. Actually I credit her for essentially saving my life. She was the one who made me go to the doctor for additional tests due to some night sweats, weight loss and fatigue symptoms I was having. I was ready to blow it off, but those extra tests had one that essentially alerted the doctor that something was wrong. In one day, I went from a call from my doctor at 7 am saying I needed to get a CT right away, being told I had a large cancerous mass and then by 2:30 having my surgery appointment set.

I'll actually have 2 surgeons working on me. My surgeon will be making a small incision and going in manually with his hand, while his partner will be going in laproscopically (sp). That's how they think is best. Maybe since the mass in larger than a baseball? I'm told I'll be in for about 3 days, but that I have to "check off" the list before I can go home.

So...the catheter. Does it "hurt" while it is in or just something you get used to?

Good luck with the surgery. My mother had the surgery when she was younger and lived an active, mostly pain free life until she was 90. She passed away earlier this year but the surgery definitely was the correct option.

Thanks Give All...that helps alot. Yes, having a wife who is a nurse who used to work in hospital setting, is great. Actually I credit her for essentially saving my life. She was the one who made me go to the doctor for additional tests due to some night sweats, weight loss and fatigue symptoms I was having. I was ready to blow it off, but those extra tests had one that essentially alerted the doctor that something was wrong. In one day, I went from a call from my doctor at 7 am saying I needed to get a CT right away, being told I had a large cancerous mass and then by 2:30 having my surgery appointment set.

I'll actually have 2 surgeons working on me. My surgeon will be making a small incision and going in manually with his hand, while his partner will be going in laproscopically (sp). That's how they think is best. Maybe since the mass in larger than a baseball? I'm told I'll be in for about 3 days, but that I have to "check off" the list before I can go home.

So...the catheter. Does it "hurt" while it is in or just something you get used to?

No it doesn't hurt while its in. In fact you never get that sensation of "I gotta pee". Your bag just fills up and they empty it. I had mine with a knee replacement and the put it in while I was out so woke with it. After a while I was "damn, I need one of these for football games ". Now, I was awake when the took it out and that was a not so fresh feeling but I still was on pain meds so it wasn't too bad. Don't fear the cathiter. It's the least of your worries

No it doesn't hurt while its in. In fact you never get that sensation of "I gotta pee". Your bag just fills up and they empty it. I had mine with a knee replacement and the put it in while I was out so woke with it. After a while I was "damn, I need one of these for football games ". Now, I was awake when the took it out and that was a not so fresh feeling but I still was on pain meds so it wasn't too bad. Don't fear the cathiter. It's the least of your worries

This made me laugh...thanks!

Reactions: 1 person

Yeah this exactly. It's kind of uncomfortable when they have you up moving around but it's not that noticeable otherwise. You got it bro

as long as you don't wake up in a hotel room bathtub filled with ice and a note on the counter you should be fine...

I kid, I kid. Best of luck and the chance to be cancer free is the best news.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back