May as well get a full sized truck for the price

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Just looking at some of the prices most of these mid-size trucks are going for, I don't see how most people just don't spend the extra couple thousand or so (maybe less) and just get the full size. Its very frustrating knowing there isn't enough difference in price to justify buying mid-size.

Just looking at some of the prices most of these mid-size trucks are going for, I don't see how most people just don't spend the extra couple thousand or so (maybe less) and just get the full size. Its very frustrating knowing there isn't enough difference in price to justify buying mid-size.

If your going mid size go with a crew cab frontier. Bought one and I absolutely love it. I went out of state to get mine and saved thousands.

This is the one thing I miss Most. It's usually No big deal, but about once or twice a week....

Yeah, mine has the 6.5' bed. Big difference in the turning radious compared to my previous truck.

Meh, I averaged about 16.5-17 in a Tundra, and the work Silverado we use does about the same.

Not enough of a justification to me.

Thats considered full size?

I'm getting 19.2 in town 23 ( think I can get better) on the interstate

2008 f250 4x4

This is the one thing I miss Most. It's usually No big deal, but about once or twice a week....

Mine's a Silverado ext cab z71 and I swear I think I'm putting it in straight but when I get out I see the ugly truth

That's good mileage. My Dodge Ram gets 14.5 on a good day.

Yes it is for a 9,000 pound truck. Mileage does suffer when I put the tractor or the 3 horse slant behind it. Drops down 14-15mpg. (Running these mild hills we have here)

not sure where you're looking but there are substantial price differences between the Colorado/Silverado, Tacoma/Tundra, and Frontier/Titan.

not sure where you're looking but there are substantial price differences between the Colorado/Silverado, Tacoma/Tundra, and Frontier/Titan.

I guess I'm trapped in the thought that if I'm going to spend in the low $30k range for a midsize truck (I've been looking at Tacoma and Colorado 4X4s), I may as well throw a few more thousand on it and get a full size with an 8-cylinder.

I guess I'm trapped in the thought that if I'm going to spend in the low $30k range for a midsize truck (I've been looking at Tacoma and Colorado 4X4s), I may as well throw a few more thousand on it and get a full size with an 8-cylinder.

Do you need 4x4? The more goodies, the more future maintenance issues/cost.

Reactions: 2 people
Interstate? My 2014 tundra averages about 14...

I'd probably say 70/30 highway/city.

As far as the overall discussion, to me the break even point on a 3-5 mpg savings on a more expensive model just isn't a big deal when you actually calculate it out...

This can be handy:
http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/gas-guzzler.html

Last edited:

It depends on what you plan on using it for Ras.if a smaller truck will do the job, go for it, save on the purchase and on operating cost. I will say this, personally I would not purchase a truck that is not a 4x4. Jmo.

VN Store

Back