Jimmy cheek email concerning UT internal affairs

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
May or may not be football related but could be cause for concern down the road.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Office of the Chancellor
Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students:

I am deeply committed to creating and sustaining a living, learning, and working environment at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, that is free from sexual misconduct, relationship violence, and stalking. One incident of such misconduct is one too many. Today, I am writing to inform you about two developments related to those issues.

OCR Complaint

The university has been notified by the US Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights (OCR), that an individual filed a complaint with OCR regarding the university's response to a report of sexual violence. While privacy laws prevent the university from disclosing the details of the complaint, I can assure you that we will cooperate fully with OCR as it investigates the complaint.

OCR has informed the university that it will act as a neutral fact finder during the investigation and that it has not made a determination with regard to the merits of the complaint. Currently, OCR is engaged in a similar process with campuses across the country as all universities work to address the serious problem of sexual violence.

Final Policy on Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence, and Stalking

Over the past several years, the university has taken significant steps to address sexual misconduct, relationship violence, and stalking. In 2014–15, we implemented an interim policy on sexual misconduct and relationship violence, effective August 20, 2014; enhanced our care and support for victims; increased our prevention and educational efforts; published statistics on reports of sexual assault and on care and support for victims; and created a website with a full list of resources and educational tools. In 2015–16, we will continue to increase our efforts and our resources to address these serious issues.

On August 19, 2015, the final policy on sexual misconduct, relationship violence, and stalking will become effective. The final policy, which builds upon the progress we made with our interim policy, is the product of significant time and effort by the Sexual Misconduct Policy Task Force, which was composed of faculty, staff, students, and members of the community. The task force hosted nine open public sessions and received feedback from many community members via e-mail and phone. The diversity of viewpoints represented in our open process was a vital component in helping to make the policy stronger, more transparent, and easier to understand.

I commend the members of the task force for their time and commitment to developing the final policy, and I am grateful to the hundreds in the UT community who contributed their thoughts. Their work has sparked an ongoing campus-wide conversation about sexual misconduct, relationship violence, and stalking, and we must continue the dialogue to keep making progress.

I hope that you will continue to engage in this important conversation with me and actively contribute to the safety and well-being of our Volunteer family.

Sincerely,

Jimmy G. Cheek
Chancellor

Reactions: 1 person
Note 1: A policy like this is important and should be in place on every campus.

Note 2: Not football related.

Reactions: 3 people
Looks like a pretty standard email for just about any sort of body like UT concerning their sexual miscondunt policy.

And, something just about every major university is dealing with.

Reactions: 1 person
Happened in April.. 3 months later they're in the "early stages" of investigation? I'm sorry. I'm not trying to defend vp by any means but there has to be an issue with the authority in charge of these cases.

Just in passing and listening to headlines from around colleges in general maybe feds should have a task force 24/7 doing nothing except college sexual crimes

Feels like it's getting worse everywhere

Maybe its getting worse or maybe it isn't, but the rules concerning consent have changed drastically and it's a mess to deal with.

Oh starting to feel like the good ol days when Fulmer was hc..now if only the wins follow...

Jk.. l blue font???

Never a good thing

Maybe its getting worse or maybe it isn't, but the rules concerning consent have changed drastically and it's a mess to deal with.

Have the rules of consent really changed or is the crime just more likely to be reported than it was in the past?

Reactions: 7 people
Have the rules of consent really changed or is the crime just more likely to be reported than it was in the past?

The rules of consent on college campuses have changed very VERY much, especially in the last few years. I don't think the legal definition has changed much at all.

The college rules on consent and their adjudication of alleged sexual offences are balanced against the accused to the point that colleges - such as UCSD - are now being found guilty of a lack of due process.

Ultimately, I don't think it's the job of any college to adjudicate on such alleged offences, it's the job of the real authorities. After a trial in a real court, and a verdict, a college can make a determination on the future of a student on campus. They shouldn't be deciding anything on their own before then...

Reactions: 3 people
Per the Tennesseean.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/investigations/2015/07/16/feds-launch-sexual-violence-investigation-ut/30251729/

Last edited:
Lol k. Nothing will come of this. UT hasn't impeded or played an individual that had an active investigation. Garbage complaint.

I think they have changed.

Essentially it's getting to where consent can be revoked after the fact.

Lol k. Nothing will come of this. UT hasn't impeded or played an individual that had an active investigation. Garbage complaint.

Sounds like it's more on the University/traditional student side than it is on athletics.

VN Store

Back