Tennessee Lobsters

malinoisvol

Pick up your Balls and Rattle your Cannons!
I have these huge crawdads, mud bugs, fresh water lobster, crayfish, whatever you want to call them, living in my pastures. I've studied these things for the past 10 years and have discovered they make good weather predictors.
It may just be coincidence but I have noticed, when is is going to be rainey weather, their entryways are open. When we are in for a dry period, they cap the entries, I suppose, to stop evaporation.
Below is a picture of the entryways into their humble abodes.

For some reason I can't load the picture. I will try again later.

Last edited:
These are approximately 5 to 9 inch range (tip of tail to claws). They are private critters, on a rare occasion you might see one just inside the entryway.

The photo I have, for some strange reason, is the only photo that will not load. Weird.

here it is. I had to text it to my wife for her to text back. Now it will load.

the ones I am used to are only found in/right next to water. is there a decent sized body of water on your property?

here it is. I had to text it to my wife for her to text back. Now it will load.

Had a lot of those in our yard in ky, but we had a small (very small) stream running through our yard.

the ones I am used to are only found in/right next to water. is there a decent sized body of water on your property?

Stream about 70 feet away from these two.

A few years ago, I dug down to see how these guys live. I hit water at 24 inches, which is where its domicile is. The entry ran down 24 inches to a small cave it had bored out.

Stream about 70 feet away from these two.

A few years ago, I dug down to see how these guys live. I hit water at 24 inches, which is where its domicile is. The entry ran down 24 inches to a small cave it had bored out.

You need to build us that pond, and we'll use those things for bait! Ha

I caught one two years ago, had a picture of it in the bucket of my tractor. It was at least 7 inches, he didn't need a hook to catch a fish. Lol

I have eaten a lot of strange creatures but never a crawdad, never a frog, never a gator, never a snake, and never a nutria. Basically if Justin Wilson is serving it up and I am sitting out.

Don't they taste muddy?

I have eaten a lot of strange creatures but never a crawdad, never a frog, never a gator, never a snake, and never a nutria. Basically if Justin Wilson is serving it up and I am sitting out.

Don't they taste muddy?

Crawdads are damn fine eating. Gator tail is good also.

No frogs,snakes or nutria for me either.

Frogs are delicious. Crawdads are good if done right. It's hard to find someone one up here who does em right but there are a few Cajuns that have reacted to Mid Tenn after the flood. Gator is good but chewy. I've had snake too and it's ok.

Don't they taste muddy?

I've eaten all of that except nutria, and enjoyed it.

Don't they taste muddy?

Crawdad is pretty darn good. It's similar to crab meat but actually a little more tender sometimes and it doesn't taste muddy or fishy.

Frogs are delicious. Crawdads are good if done right. It's hard to find someone one up here who does em right but there are a few Cajuns that have reacted to Mid Tenn after the flood. Gator is good but chewy. I've had snake too and it's ok.

If your gator was chewy, it wasn't cooked right. Good gator is a little more on the flaky side. We have several crawfish boils down here. Big pocket of Cajuns and we are about an hour NE from Louisiana.

Reactions: 1 person
You all have convinced me to seek out crawdads at the least. Never nutria though that is a big freaking rat as far as I can tell.

VN Store

Back