My fitness pal

Face

VolNation Con Man
So about 3 months ago my wife and I decided to shed a few lbs and do the my fitness pal app.

For those that don't know, it's basically a calorie counter that based on factors (age, gender, height, weight) determines how many calories you can eat each day to achieve your weight loss goal (1lb a week, half a lb a week.. Etc)

We've both stuck to it pretty good.

Here's My delima:

I'm down almost 20 lbs in 12 weeks and she's only down about 8 in 15 weeks, and hasn't made any progress the last month and a half.

I have less to lose than she does. She wants to drop about 30 more to get where she wants. But, she follows it to a T, has what we think is a healthy calorie deficit every day, and just isn't making progress.

Maybe a fitness expert, nutritionist, or the like on the board can help me out. She's pretty discouraged, but is really giving it an awesome effort. I'm proud of her for sticking to it with the limited results she's had the last 6 weeks.

Any suggestions, tips, or ideas than can help us get thru her current plateau?

Sounds par for the course with regard to you losing more. It's harder for women to lose weight, one reason being they don't have the same muscle mass and their metabolism is anywhere from 3% to 10% less. Another thing women tend to do is go light on the weights and heavier on the cardio. Flipping that and going heavier on the weights should cause her to burn more calories. I'm not a fitness expert or a nutritionist but those are some things I've learned over time.

Getting past a weight-loss plateau - Mayo Clinic

Thanks guys.

She does a lot of walking. But, regardless of the exercise she's still creating a calorie deficit of about 400 calories per day.

We'll try to work more weights in. Hopefully that will help.

Sounds par for the course with regard to you losing more. It's harder for women to lose weight, one reason being they don't have the same muscle mass and their metabolism is anywhere from 3% to 10% less. Another thing women tend to do is go light on the weights and heavier on the cardio. Flipping that and going heavier on the weights should cause her to burn more calories. I'm not a fitness expert or a nutritionist but those are some things I've learned over time.

Getting past a weight-loss plateau - Mayo Clinic

Good info.

Thanks guys.

She does a lot of walking. But, regardless of the exercise she's still creating a calorie deficit of about 400 calories per day.

We'll try to work more weights in. Hopefully that will help.

Going through the same thing with my wife, although a lot of her issue is unless she's in a class or with a trainer, she won't push herself.

It drives her nuts that I keep dropping weight and she plateaus but its just something they have to break through.

Its already been said, adding more weights and just changing things up in general really seems to help.

Going through the same thing with my wife, although a lot of her issue is unless she's in a class or with a trainer, she won't push herself.

It drives her nuts that I keep dropping weight and she plateaus but its just something they have to break through.

Its already been said, adding more weights and just changing things up in general really seems to help.

You hit the main two points... change things up and push through the plateaus.

VN Store

Back