Moving to Knoxville

PureVol

So I am moving to Knoxville very soon. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on good apartment complexes in the area. I realize I could just google this(and I have obviously) but I'm interested in some honest opinions. Part of town isn't much of a concern for me. Thanks!

Edit: I would be living by myself, so a one bedroom would work fine.

Last edited:
Walter P. Taylor homes is a really nice area. You should definitely go check them out.

Thanks! I will do that.

Do not thank him for that, he's trying to get you shot. You don't want to live anywhere near that nonsense.

It really depends on your budget....
Greenbriar Ridge, Country Club, Woodlands West are all decent places.

Reactions: 3 people
This really depends on several factors. How old are you, coming here for school/work, budget, hobbies, commute distance, etc.? Personally, I'm not a fan West Knox and have no desire to live in that area. It's getting better, but it's too generic for me. Chain stores, chain restaurants, strip malls, TRAFFIC, etc. I prefer the downtown/North Knox area. I've been in the downtown area for the past 7 years and have watched it grow immensely. I'm currently trying to buy a house in Old North Knox, primarily to stop throwing away rent money...that and the pricing for downtown is getting a little proud of itself. Otherwise, I'd see no reason to move from my current location. It's filled with much more personality, in my opinion. There's more locally owned bars with live music, more locally owned shops and restaurants with excellent food, older buildings made of brick and hardly any stucco, and a better sense of what I love about Knoxville. Again, this is my opinion, please don't get butt hurt if you live in West Knox and enjoy it. But to me...it's 379too far.

Last edited:
This really depends on several factors. How old are you, coming here for school/work, budget, hobbies, commute distance, etc.? Personally, I'm not a fan West Knox and have no desire to live in that area. It's getting better, but it's too generic for me. Chain stores, chain restaurants, strip malls, TRAFFIC, etc. I prefer the downtown/North Knox area. I've been in the downtown area for the past 7 years and have watched it grow immensely. I'm currently trying to buy a house in Old North Knox, primarily to stop throwing away rent money...that and the pricing for downtown is getting a little proud of itself. Otherwise, I'd see no reason to move from my current location. It's filled with much more personality, in my opinion. There's more locally owned bars with live music, more locally owned shops and restaurants with excellent food, older buildings made of brick and hardly any stucco, and a better sense of what I love about Knoxville. Again, this is my opinion, please don't get butt hurt if you live in West Knox and enjoy it. But to me...it's 379too far.

I live in West Knox and agree with you 100%.

If Downtown would be workable as far as commute, budget, etc...I'd be all over it. Its a fantastic place to live, and getting better each month IMO.

West Knoxville is by far the best section. Most expensive real estate, safest part of Knoxville, best parks, best restaurants, best schools, not one... TWO Walmarts by gawd. Traffic is fine except west bound I-40 right at 5:00pm and the school zones at 7:45 and 3:00... both of which are easy to avoid, just put Waze on your phone. Most of north Knoxville is a dump and most of east Knoxville is a crime riddled slum. South Knoxville/Maryville/Seymour is okay and convenient to the Smoky Mtns. Best to live in West Knoxville. If it's too far, then Homberg and Sequoyah areas are close to downtown.

Reactions: 1 person
I have always loved the Western Heights area. Great people and and plenty of business opportunities available.

West Knoxville is by far the best section. Most expensive real estate, safest part of Knoxville, best parks, best restaurants, best schools, not one... TWO Walmarts by gawd. Traffic is fine except west bound I-40 right at 5:00pm and the school zones at 7:45 and 3:00... both of which are easy to avoid, just put Waze on your phone. Most of north Knoxville is a dump and most of east Knoxville is a crime riddled slum. South Knoxville/Maryville/Seymour is okay and convenient to the Smoky Mtns. Best to live in West Knoxville. If it's too far, then Homberg and Sequoyah areas are close to downtown.

North Knoxville can be hit or miss, really. The Fountain City area has really turned around. Old North Knox is in very nice transition phase, similar to East Nashville. A lot of first time home buyers settling down in the area and it's leading to a skyrocketing property value. In between the two areas, I'd agree with you. There's a lot of areas around/off Broadway that still need some development and renovation. If my fiancée were more on board with me, I'd be looking more to buy in South Knoxville, honestly. With the planned development and ground breaking on the SoKno waterfront, that's the next area of Knoxville to really see a strong return on investment, in my opinion. Gotta disagree on the traffic aspect of West Knox, though. I've got Waze, and commute from downtown to West Knox every day. Cedar Bluff, Kingston Pk, Turkey Creek, I hate all those roads...they lead nowhere...very slowly. Middlebrook is okay, most of the time, but that's the only road off of I-40 that I bother trying to save any time on.

Knoxville doesn't have traffic. Atlanta and Nashville have traffic. If you leave at the same time as everybody else does to have dinner at exactly 6:00, then Knoxville roads get clogged, but they keep moving. As long as idiots don't wreck.

I-640 at Broadway at rush hour in North Knoxville is the biggest cluster **** in town.

Everyone I know that wants to have dinner exactly at 6:00 are the folks that live in a cookie cutter subdivision...that looks just like the cookie cutter subdivision next to it...in West Knox.

And you're exactly right about the Broadway/640 corridor to Fountain City.

West Knoxville isn't exclusively Farragut McMansions. Bearden and Homberg are very nice and convenient to everywhere.

I do like the Homberg area, it just seems to be viewed as an extension of Sequoyah, and it's priced it as such. And personally, I feel like Bearden is where the generic part of Knoxville starts. Convenient, but very little that distinguishes itself from any other suburb of any other city in America.

If you're into the city style living, my wife and I had a loft downtown in the Sterchi building and loved it. It'll cost you around $1,000-1,200 a month for a studio, but it's totally worth it. We always walked to Neyland on game days. Also, always a ton of parades and festivals downtown you can walk to.

I researched the area for a year before I finally bought a place in 4th and Gill. Enjoy the chains and traffic of West Knoxville, but I'll take walking to Market Square, Neyland Stadium, and World's Fair park anyday.

There are some places beyond 4th and gill and Old North that are rough but just do your research and you'll be fine.

I researched the area for a year before I finally bought a place in 4th and Gill. Enjoy the chains and traffic of West Knoxville, but I'll take walking to Market Square, Neyland Stadium, and World's Fair park anyday.

There are some places beyond 4th and gill and Old North that are rough but just do your research and you'll be fine.

I have thoroughly researched it and have concluded that there are parts of west Knoxville the same distance from the center of Knoxville as in parts of north Knoxville.

I have also found that chains sell things that people like to buy.

Everyone I know that wants to have dinner exactly at 6:00 are the folks that live in a cookie cutter subdivision...that looks just like the cookie cutter subdivision next to it...in West Knox.

And you're exactly right about the Broadway/640 corridor to Fountain City.

That's quite an over-generalization. There are plenty of unique neighborhoods with fantastic homes and a variety of ages and lifestyles in west Knox. Waterfront areas such as Montgomery Cove, Mallard Bay, Jefferson Park, Riversound... Golf/country clubs -- Fox Den, Gettysburg... High-end communities such as Bridgemore, the Woods, Berkeley Park, Whittington Creek, Vista... More affordable but still very nice: Covered Bridge, the Anthem, Brixworth, Wentworth, the Farm, the Cove at Turkey Creek, Park Place... Tons of options, and none of the above would I consider "cookie-cutter."

Major advantages out west are the schools, virtually no crime, and really no adjacent rough areas. With the development of Turkey Creek, there are now plenty of dining, shopping, and entertainment options. We still drive downtown for concerts, date nights, etc, but most of what we do is within 10 minutes.

Oh, and I can be at Neyland in 22 minutes (unless I travel by water) :)

Reading the first post: there are nice apartments on Grigsby Chapel, KP near Smith Road, that I know of. There are plans to build two or three large upscale complexes, but they are being fought hard by the locals in Farragut.

I've lived in a subdivision off Bridgewater for 10 years and have no complaints. 2 mins from interstate and 15 from stadium. No crime issues either. Plenty of food options too.

I lived at Fox Lake for 5 years and enjoyed it. It's off Cedar Bluff. Taking a couple turns through the nearest residential area gets you to 40 in about 3-4 minutes.

VN Store

Back