That's Outrageous!!

salutethehill

by hatchet, axe, and saw
Connecticut mom balks when son's kindergarten application gets personal | Fox News

“Most parents I have spoken to are outraged, and then they are almost outraged at themselves, like, 'Did I fill that out? Did I not even question it?'” Paiuk said.

Really? Outrage?

7731933.gif

I get that the question caught you off guard, and that you are questioning the intent...and you should...but "outraged"?

I do think the questions are a little out there. There is no need for a school to know that

C-section babies have a weaker and far (more importantly) less varied immune system than babies born by vaginal birth that normally never catches up until adulthood, if at all. They're doing nothing more than confirming/disproving a science study by finding out if kids that were C section get sick more often or worse than the ones who aren't. It's actually fairly smart.

C-section babies have a weaker and far (more importantly) less varied immune system than babies born by vaginal birth that normally never catches up until adulthood, if at all. They're doing nothing more than confirming/disproving a science study by finding out if kids that were C section get sick more often or worse than the ones who aren't. It's actually fairly smart.

I don't know. My 2 youngest were born via C-section due to my wife's health, and they're never anymore sick than my oldest.

All 3 of mine are C-section babies. They seem fine (except the middle one...he's kind of a monkey).

While that is true, the school is crossing the boundaries by asking it. She has every right to be outraged. Schools need to worry about getting kids an education, not how they were born.

Readers' Digest used to have a section called "That's Outrageous". Maybe it still does.

This is true. Studies have shown that C section babies have significantly higher rates of asthma, allergies, and various autoimmune conditions.

I was a C section baby and have asthma, so this wasn't exactly shocking the first time I saw it.

This is true. Studies have shown that C section babies have significantly higher rates of asthma, allergies, and various autoimmune conditions.

I was a C section baby and have asthma, so this wasn't exactly shocking the first time I saw it.

I don't understand what would cause that. I was a C-section child and have only had mild hay fever. I have an awesome immune system, too.

I don't understand what would cause that. I was a C-section child and have only had mild hay fever. I have an awesome immune system, too.

During a traditional birth the mother passes lots of good bacteria to the baby. This ends up being the building blocks for the immune system. The transfer never happens (or happens on a much smaller scale) with a C section birth. The first thing the baby is exposed to is a sterile hospital environment instead of it's mother's bacteria.

Breast feeding is the key to a child's immune system.

I don't see how the birth happened has any correlation.

My youngest was a c-section (probably uneccesarily, wife changed OP'S afterwards then had two successful vbacs). He's only been really sick once and it was a viral infection the whole family got including our 1 month old vaginal birth infant.

Breast feeding is the key to a child's immune system.

I don't see how the birth happened has any correlation.

Unfortunately, this isn't true. A child born traditionally who doesn't breast feed will have a better immune system, on average, than a child born by c section who does breast feed.

You want to do both a vaginal birth and breast feed if possible, but if you had to choose you want a regular birth. The number of different bacteria that a child encounters coming out of the birth canal (gut bacteria, fecal matter, etc.) is far more varied, and more potent, than what you get from breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding helps increase the existing immune system more than anything, so if you have 10 different things to increase your existing defenses against, it's just not nearly as good as having 50 things to have defenses against.

Naturally, we will have "exceptions." C section kids who are fine, Vaginal births who are immunocompromised their whole lives, and so on. But the studies don't lie, you are more likely to have allergies and immune system problems in general (and often times other problems) if you are C section than traditional.

Football. Uniforms. C-Section vs Vaginal delivery.

More proof men are just masculine girls. :)

Football. Uniforms. C-Section vs Vaginal delivery.

More proof men are just masculine girls. :)

I've got 3 girls. I could start a thread about how many times I've had my nails painted, and which shampoo makes my hair softer! Ha

Unfortunately, this isn't true. A child born traditionally who doesn't breast feed will have a better immune system, on average, than a child born by c section who does breast feed.

You want to do both a vaginal birth and breast feed if possible, but if you had to choose you want a regular birth. The number of different bacteria that a child encounters coming out of the birth canal (gut bacteria, fecal matter, etc.) is far more varied, and more potent, than what you get from breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding helps increase the existing immune system more than anything, so if you have 10 different things to increase your existing defenses against, it's just not nearly as good as having 50 things to have defenses against.

Naturally, we will have "exceptions." C section kids who are fine, Vaginal births who are immunocompromised their whole lives, and so on. But the studies don't lie, you are more likely to have allergies and immune system problems in general (and often times other problems) if you are C section than traditional.

Interesting My son was born natural and breast feed for 18 months. ( sippie cup) I guess he should be good to go.

VN Store

Back