Question about work

JohnnyD1024

My can question is.....Can your employer force you to work over your scheduled shift? This didn't happen to me but it did happen to a coworker the other night. He was told if he didn't work over he would lose his position at work.

My can question is.....Can your employer force you to work over your scheduled shift? This didn't happen to me but it did happen to a coworker the other night. He was told if he didn't work over he would lose his position at work.

Right to work state?

Then yes they can do that.

While it's not "right" your friend staying to work, probably did the right thing. If it becomes a "habit" from his supervisor, I'd probably file a complaint with human resources.

If you would like a better response I'll be more than happy to ask my wife. It's what she does.

Then yes they can do that.

While it's not "right" your friend staying to work, probably did the right thing. If it becomes a "habit" from his supervisor, I'd probably file a complaint with human resources.

If you would like a better response I'll be more than happy to ask my wife. It's what she does.

That's At-will rather than Right-to-work. At-will allows employers to fire employees more easily. Right-to-work means employees can't be required to join a union as a condition of employment.

That's At-will rather than Right-to-work. At-will allows employers to fire employees more easily. Right-to-work means employees can't be required to join a union as a condition of employment.

My apologies. But the end result is the same.

I have no use for people who start crying if they aren't out at 8 hours on the dot. It's not as if they aren't getting paid

Reactions: 1 person
I have no use for people who start crying if they aren't out at 8 hours on the dot. It's not as if they aren't getting paid

Depends on how the job operates.

Some make it clear you're paid for overtime(time and a half). Others, they want you to punch in your card and take all your breaks cause they refuse to pay you overtime. If you're working your ass off and miss a break, they won't pay you extra, you lost your break. And sometimes, it was never even possible to take the break to begin with. If you work in any factory(I worked in a chocolate factory), you need someone to take your place in line. I've gotten screwed out of breaks and scolded for going over my time limit. Nice system...

Never worked with a time clock, lunch, or scheduled breaks. Eat when you get time, smoke and bs on the fly. Every year you get a 'labor lawyer' who wants to sit and have a picnic on the job. You can't tell them no, but it's a fast way to get on my ****list.

Most companies have a 24 hours notice on all OT being added to schedules. If check that in your employee/company handbook before I would file a complaint. If there is one of these in place then the employer would be violating company policy.

However like a previous poster has said. If it's not happening regularly and he's getting paid for the OT... What's to complain about?

It's not a salary job and it wasn't so much the being asked to work over. It was the way it was done, the manager seemed mad about something else and was taking it out on my coworker. What he had to stay over for wasn't a necessary thing that had to be done. Especially since a 3rd shift comes in does what we on second shift don't get done. And if we get everything done on second then 3rd shift gets to do nothing all night and get paid for it.

It's not a salary job and it wasn't so much the being asked to work over. It was the way it was done, the manager seemed mad about something else and was taking it out on my coworker. What he had to stay over for wasn't a necessary thing that had to be done. Especially since a 3rd shift comes in does what we on second shift don't get done. And if we get everything done on second then 3rd shift gets to do nothing all night and get paid for it.

I don't have any experience with this but I can't imagine they can fire a worker that essentially refuses to work for free.

Johnny, did you witness the event?
There are always 2 sides. Having been the boss of young, emotional people, they seem to focus on a single event and not the cumulative.

There are so many answers to your question. I agree with the posters that say getting paid for OT is a good thing.

Depends on the situation. Some people have to pick up kids from the daycare by a certain time, or have a dr appt, or several legitimate reasons why they can't stay on last minute notice.

It sounds like there's some work drama above him (or problems at home) and he is taking it out on your coworker.

VN Store

Back