Heating & Air

unconventional
Anybody know about this stuff?

As far as I can tell, I get good prices. Maybe... it's 80 bucks to come out and then they charge you for the price for the part and generally don't tack on time and a half. I see other places that charge 40 to come out and they'll charge you who knows what for their time after the fact.

Problem... first time I used them, it's winter and I couldn't get my furnace to run and I'm thinking it might be a real issue. Only ended up being the pilot. I was using a giant lighter gun that I use for my grill. He walks in with super long matches(twice as long as my lighter gun), lights it and charges me 80 bucks. When I hand him 80 dollars in cash, he's like "I don't know if I have enough change". I say "keep it, it's only 50 cents". He makes sure to pay me the 50 cents back to "be fair". But now, I call them back out to fix the air and I'm just getting bill after bill and return after return.

First, it was a fan in the air conditioner. He says "240 for the part, 80 for coming out... that's 360"(but actually 320 with correct math). He didn't have the part he needed so he was going to come back later in the day. I called the receptionist to ask how much it it would be later since I was handed two prices(I would pay either if he miscalculated). I didn't know if he meant 320 or 360, she said 320.

They sent out two younger guys the next day(this was after not returning the original day and being called at 6pm to say they can't make it) and they handed me a 360 dollar bill. I mentioned to them what he said and what she said just to question if that was the right bill. They said, "just give us 320 it's fine". I'm back to thinking, cool. They're owning up to their work. I paid 80 bucks just to have someone light a match without complaining and I've heard credible people say this is a good place.

Since then, I've had to have them come back out because the thermostat won't shut off the air. You have to turn off the heating/air unit manually. I decided to pay 65 for the part to fix the thermostat because he came back out for "free" and I didn't want to pay another 80 for the labor later. Finding out now, my furnace overheats(possibly) or some crap and the air will shut off after an hour without blowing any air but the heating/air unit continues to run.

She said he already did one recall(acting as if I should pay again) but I mentioned how I don't have the funds to keep paying for extra parts that weren't included in the original billing. I actually said I won't even have money til the start of next month to cover another part alone(let alone 80 to come out) should I need another part when he comes back out. I won't have money til next month to cover who knows how much the next part is.

I appreciate the idea that I'm paying for what I get and through no fault of their own, I'm finding more problems. But at what point are they responsible for not giving me more than 15 minutes to make sure the part they put in works? Their new part works but there is always another problem.

All I can say is, they're coming back out for the 3rd time within 2 weeks and while I paid 80 dollars to light a match, they walk off the second they fix the first problem they see and act like their job is done. Like I'm getting some prize cause they have to come back out and fix something else when I paid them to fix it the first time.

At this point, I've paid 400 bucks basically and I don't have anything fixed. They may have fixed 2 parts but if the whole thing doesn't work to begin with, why didn't they figure that out in the first place and why am I screwed out of 400 bucks with nothing fixed. If they tell me something else needs replaced that they can't fix without buying another part, smh. Could have just gone summer without fixing the other crap cause it wasn't going to work anyways apparently barring 100's of more dollars worth of repair.

Again, for all I know, they're underpaid and I'm milking them for free labor. But this is going to add up quickly if I have to keep buying new parts. A whole new unit might end up being cheaper but they didn't know(or care to look) because they got in and out as quickly as possible. If I have to build a new unit per price of every part, outrageous.

Out electric company here offers to replace your unit and finance it through your electric bill. Everyone who's done it says it has dropped their bill enough that they hardly notice the payment, because of the new system. Maybe you can check with your power company. I feel your pain not wanting to keep paying, and having trouble still. Hope the best.

Reactions: 1 person
What's your question? I would suggest finding another company to fix the problem and cut your losses.

Just, what what actual parts and labors might cost and what point am I overpaying/getting screwed. They can come back out and call it "free" all they want and their labor might be free.. in which case, I don't want to accuse them of screwing me while also not wanting to screw them. But if they come back out for free and find new problem after new problem, who is at fault? I understand more might need fixed but at what point is it their responsibility to quote me the correct price up front? I can't call them back and pay them another 200 dollars for every part they didn't bother to stick around finding out needed replaced in the first place.

You're right, cutting my losses is what I want to do. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but coming back out for free labor isn't free to me. I appreciate it if they're wasting their time without charging me but when I was quoted the original price, I wasn't expecting to buy more and more things because there were more and more problems. I wanted the total bill up front and I'll pay it if I can and won't if I can't. That's how it was offered up but it's not the case obviously.

Out electric company here offers to replace your unit and finance it through your electric bill. Everyone who's done it says it has dropped their bill enough that they hardly notice the payment, because of the new system. Maybe you can check with your power company. I feel your pain not wanting to keep paying, and having trouble still. Hope the best.

Their site does say they'll come out to check replacement units for free. And they do tend to work with me on keeping their price down.

But I've had the guy add up his bill wrong in front of me. The receptionist call back a day later and say "what day did we say, did you say wednesday or thursday" and I said... "you said tomorrow(wednesday)". These are people who seem to mix up their words easily. And their offer on their site? Idk. Again, they charged me 80 bucks to light my furnace. I've heard nothing but good things and figured "hey, I'll pay 80 now and he knows I need my air fixed later, I'll pay for it in hopes he's a good guy later".

Idk. I don't want to complain if I'm getting a good deal and free labor. I'm just gonna be upset if they come out and tell me I need some other x amount of bill that's 100's of dollars. I feel like they shouldn't have got out of here as quickly as possible and think the problem is fixed the first second they think they fixed the one problem they found. It's apparently many.

I'd be frustrated as well.

I just kind of wanted to find out from people in the business what they'd charge/find out new problem after new problem. I just figured when I handed them 320 dollars, I was done. Then another 65 dollar part came up. And again, this doesn't include the 80 bucks back in winter. I just want to know at what point is it their fault for not knowing all the other problems. Clearly, it was many, and now I'm paying new bills to match the problems they didn't figure out the first time. If I'm told I need replace an entire unit, gonna be not happy.

What company is this you are working with? Are you in Knoxville?

What company is this you are working with? Are you in Knoxville?

Different state entirely. I live in Iowa City.

Then again, Iowa City is like top 10 places economically to live, smartest places to live etc. I saw some of those Nashville prices for nice apartments, sadly, I think Iowa City is heading that direction for garbage apartments.

In general, I just wanted an idea on parts maybe vs. labor and also, at what point should they have had the entire bill up front. I don't want to blame them for finding new problems but I fell all problems should be addressed up front. 400 bucks isn't a lot to many people but I'm budgeting at this point in my life so to have them come back and be like "oh, we won't charge you for labor but this part cost x".... it's not a win for me. A win for me is knowing the whole cost up front so I know if I can pay it. If he comes and tells me the part is 300 bucks on monday but if I don't do it then on his "free" recall, I'll have to pay 380 next month?

Just... I wanted the whole bill up front. Kind of annoyed but trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't want to accuse people of being ****ty if they're going to correct the problem. I just know I'm about to be told I need a new heat/air unit or some other part. If they're just gonna keep coming back to tell me another part needs replaced, I feel betrayed from the start. I would have never paid 400 dollars if it's going to need another 400 dollars tomorrow. I would have waited til I had the money to fix it all. I've gained nothing at this point while being 400 dollars in the hole. Still sweating my nutsack off to put it nicely lol.

I just kind of wanted to find out from people in the business what they'd charge/find out new problem after new problem. I just figured when I handed them 320 dollars, I was done. Then another 65 dollar part came up. And again, this doesn't include the 80 bucks back in winter. I just want to know at what point is it their fault for not knowing all the other problems. Clearly, it was many, and now I'm paying new bills to match the problems they didn't figure out the first time. If I'm told I need replace an entire unit, gonna be not happy.

Where I live in Georgia, the average for a new unit is 6-$8,000. That's a lot of money after you've already paid to fix something.

Different state entirely. I live in Iowa City.

Then again, Iowa City is like top 10 places economically to live, smartest places to live etc. I saw some of those Nashville prices for nice apartments, sadly, I think Iowa City is heading that direction for garbage apartments.

In general, I just wanted an idea on parts maybe vs. labor and also, at what point should they have had the entire bill up front. I don't want to blame them for finding new problems but I fell all problems should be addressed up front. 400 bucks isn't a lot to many people but I'm budgeting at this point in my life so to have them come back and be like "oh, we won't charge you for labor but this part cost x".... it's not a win for me. A win for me is knowing the whole cost up front so I know if I can pay it. If he comes and tells me the part is 300 bucks on monday but if I don't do it then on his "free" recall, I'll have to pay 380 next month?

Just... I wanted the whole bill up front. Kind of annoyed but trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't want to accuse people of being ****ty if they're going to correct the problem. I just know I'm about to be told I need a new heat/air unit or some other part. If they're just gonna keep coming back to tell me another part needs replaced, I feel betrayed from the start. I would have never paid 400 dollars if it's going to need another 400 dollars tomorrow. I would have waited til I had the money to fix it all. I've gained nothing at this point while being 400 dollars in the hole. Still sweating my nutsack off to put it nicely lol.

:blink:

Yes, most reputable HVAC companies will give you up front prices before any work is performed. The companies I've dealt with will also notify you before they come if they have an up front service charge just for showing up. That's why I attempted to ask what company you were dealing with. Just based on the information you've posted thus far I can say without a doubt that you need to drop them like a hot brick and start working with a different company.

:blink:

Yes, most reputable HVAC companies will give you up front prices before any work is performed. The companies I've dealt with will also notify you before they come if they have an up front service charge just for showing up. That's why I attempted to ask what company you were dealing with. Just based on the information you've posted thus far I can say without a doubt that you need to drop them like a hot brick and start working with a different company.

They tell you the service up front to come out.

But then they fix the first problem they see and charge you for it but apparently there are more problems they didn't bother to look for at the time.

They're not charging me more and more to come back out, they're just charging me for the part(or so they claim).

But at what point are they wrong for not figuring out how many parts were screwed to begin with?

If they're coming back out for free, I feel bad, but that's their fault. My problem is that even if it's free, I'm getting new part bill after new part bill. Sounds like both of us are losing unless they're lying.

What good is paying them 400 bucks to fix part of it while they think they've fixed it but they come back for free on their time and add new bills for me. Sucks for both of us in that case. I don't want to take advantage of their good nature but damn, I might receive another huge bill I can't afford until next month. They're gonna charge me for labor in the future because I couldn't fix the problem they didn't foresee the first 5 times they've been here?

Yeah... Idk. I don't want to push other people's buttons if I'm in the wrong. I really just wanted to know what the general consensus is. Especially from people in the business who are the ones handing out the bills. I'm sure the parts I paid for are totally overpriced anyways even if they don't charge me for labor. Like buying a phone from a phone store... you can find the same phone unlocked cheaper online yourself.

Last edited:
You're killing me Top. What is this company's name? I'd love to google it.

Sounds to me that you need someone to come out and perform a complete checkup on your system. I don't do it every season, but we have companies that will charge $50-$80 to spend an hour or two and check every part of the system. They will then make recommendations. You have to be careful with their recommendations because they make money from the repairs, and not all of their recommendations are required for the system to operate. But, at least that way, you know about everything wrong with it.

HVAC work is expensive. But you need to get a few quotes. I replaced a compressor and coils last fall, and I have a one man business who did it for hundreds less than the big companies. Still spent $3500-$4000.

If you're gonna get any type of heat and air work done call Worthington Heat and Air in Knoxville if your from this area. They do high quality work for wayyyyy less. Put into perspective 2.5 ton split system with some duct work ran added a new return and moved the unit from one area of house to a new area for 4,000. It was a 15 seer amana unit with a lifetime compressor warranty. Beat that and I'll buy you lunch. I'm a customer not a owner BTW lol

If you're gonna get any type of heat and air work done call Worthington Heat and Air in Knoxville if your from this area. They do high quality work for wayyyyy less. Put into perspective 2.5 ton split system with some duct work ran added a new return and moved the unit from one area of house to a new area for 4,000. It was a 15 seer amana unit with a lifetime compressor warranty. Beat that and I'll buy you lunch. I'm a customer not a owner BTW lol

Don't insult him like that! He's from Iowa City, "the most economical, smartest place to live!" :)

VN Store

Back