Honeymoon spots ok during hurricane season?

1 in 102 455

Long-Time Lurker
Hello VolNation,

My fiancee and I are getting hitched September 12 with a honeymoon to follow the next week. We initially wanted to travel to the Caribbeans (St. Lucia in particular), but have shied away from the idea due to it being hurricane season. We're contemplating some other places, but airfare is making some out of our price range.

My question is this: Has anyone went to the Caribbean during hurricane season and recommend it? We plan to get traveler's insurance and all if we do go there. We also looked at Punta Cana for costs and they haven't been hit in a while. Our budget is about $5,000 for everything. Doesn't have to be the gulf necessarily. Just looking for somewhere: safe (crime wise), tropic, and with a low chance of having the week ruined by bad weather from tropic storms or a 'cane. I'm also willing to pitch any other great spots this world has to offer to the future missus. Any help is much appreciated! :hi:

Congrats on getting married.

As far as honeymoons go, we spent ours in the back seat of a 69 Fairlane.

Good luck and God bless!

Reactions: 1 person
Hello VolNation,

My fiancee and I are getting hitched September 12 with a honeymoon to follow the next week. We initially wanted to travel to the Caribbeans (St. Lucia in particular), but have shied away from the idea due to it being hurricane season. We're contemplating some other places, but airfare is making some out of our price range.

My question is this: Has anyone went to the Caribbean during hurricane season and recommend it? We plan to get traveler's insurance and all if we do go there. We also looked at Punta Cana for costs and they haven't been hit in a while. Our budget is about $5,000 for everything. Doesn't have to be the gulf necessarily. Just looking for somewhere: safe (crime wise), tropic, and with a low chance of having the week ruined by bad weather from tropic storms or a 'cane. I'm also willing to pitch any other great spots this world has to offer to the future missus. Any help is much appreciated! :hi:

Hawaii- it can be a cheap trip, or a super expensive trip. I went in January with my wife and we spent 10 days on a Oahu. It cost me right at five grand for the entire trip. We stayed on Waikiki Beach and rented a convertible Mustang and drove around the island to see all the sites. We ate out a few times and had a couple steak dinners on the beach. It was an incredible time and not near as expensive as what I was told it could be. Plus, it is out of hurricane (typhoon) range during the season for the most part. I loved it.... And can see why people never want to leave.

Last edited:
We've done Caribbean cruises during hurricane season for the past five years. We always get the insurance but we've never had any issues. My sister did once a few years ago but they just went a different route to avoid the storm. It is a risk but the chances of a storm hitting the one place you go at that time are slim. Especially if you choose St Lucia.

According to data assembled by the Caribbean Hurricane Network (stormcarib.com), only 14 hurricanes have moved closer than 60 miles to St. Lucia since 1850. Of those, none has reached Category 5 on the Saffir-Simpson scale, only one has been Category 4 and one Category 3. No hurricane systems affected Saint Lucia between 1980 and 2007. This is broadly akin to the hurricane impacts sustained by the northeastern U.S.; the risk of a hurricane hitting St. Lucia is the same as the risk in Boston or New York.

Is Saint Lucia in the Hurricane Belt? | USA Today

I wouldnt worry about it. Congrats!

Reactions: 3 people
We've done Caribbean cruises during hurricane season for the past five years. We always get the insurance but we've never had any issues. My sister did once a few years ago but they just went a different route to avoid the storm. It is a risk but the chances of a storm hitting the one place you go at that time are slim. Especially if you choose St Lucia.

According to data assembled by the Caribbean Hurricane Network (stormcarib.com), only 14 hurricanes have moved closer than 60 miles to St. Lucia since 1850. Of those, none has reached Category 5 on the Saffir-Simpson scale, only one has been Category 4 and one Category 3. No hurricane systems affected Saint Lucia between 1980 and 2007. This is broadly akin to the hurricane impacts sustained by the northeastern U.S.; the risk of a hurricane hitting St. Lucia is the same as the risk in Boston or New York.

Is Saint Lucia in the Hurricane Belt? | USA Today

I wouldnt worry about it. Congrats!

I'll echo the cruise statement. We were on a cruise in 2010 when Hurricane Alex came through. They turned the boat around (we were on our way to Cozumel) and went to a different port. Didn't hinder anything in the way of excursions as far as I know. Plus with the cruises, you get a little taste of everything! $5K could go a long way for a cruise.

I enjoy a cruise. I do not enjoy the time schedule restrictions. Makes me feel like I am at adult day care

We went to St. Lucia in the middle of July. I recall researching whether or not hurricanes effected them, and at the time, they hadn't been hit by one in a long time. This was 7 years ago.

I believe St. Lucia is so far south and east that big hurricanes don't have time to form to effect them. I am pretty sure they get tropical depressions from time to time.

We had a blast, but it is a popular honeymoon spot. I just don't think you can let that effect your planning though. Find a spot and go for it.

Edit: Did not see above. There is your answer.

Last edited:
Hello VolNation,

Sugar beach at st. Lucia is where it is at. Excellent place for a honeymoon. You are in between the Pitons.

There is a burger hut on the east side of the island, Can't remember what it is called, but it was awesome.

Went to St. Thomas for mine, avoided storms as well. I really think the risk is low and I would advise a stay on the island as opposed to a cruise. I just want to explore when and where whenever I want to.

Actually I wasn't suggesting a cruise. I don't think that would be my choice for a honey moon. Just saying I've been to roughly 20 Caribbean islands the last five years during hurricane season and not one issue with hurricanes.

Honestly there are professional weather bloggers I follow on Twitter and they are calling for a less than average hurricane season for the Caribbean. Plan away. I think you will be ok.

2015 Hurricane Forecast

PS we went to a resort near cancun in mid August and had no issues.

We went to Cancun in late August. Just buy trip insurance and have a good time.

Congratulations!! Make your decision and then don't let it stress you before the wedding.

I went to Gatlinburg on my honeymoon. It was paid for by my wife and I. We were young (20 and 18) so we didn't have much. But I've been to a bunch of the islands since our 12 years of marriage. All went well.... Rain sometimes... But never any storms. Good luck!!!!

VN Store

Back