Deck repair help suggestions

BenGrimm

Formally known as burntorangeVOLffle
I have two boards that need to be replaced on my deck. Seemed like a pretty straightforward job. Unscrew the old boards, screw in new ones.

Well, I can't get the screws to come out. I have an 18v Black and Decker drill and it will not turn the screws. I tried manually turning them to get them started but no luck.

So how do I get these boards out without damaging the support beam?

Ratchet with a screw head, and a breaking bar! Hope you get it man. I have bolts hard to turn on our machines at work and that's what I use. Maybe it'll work on that.

bro, they aren't bolted in or some kind of locking screw are they?

three thoughts:

May have to drill them out as last resort.

May need to get a plug in drill.

If all else fails try a kit made to remove difficult screws.

Grind the heads of the screws off and then pry your decking boards up off them. Be sure to place another board under your pry bar so it it does not mar the remaining decking. Break the screws off with a hammer and place your new deck on down.

Last edited:
Getting ready to paint ours

Don't paint it.....stain it. Paint traps in moisture and stain seals the pours and cracks in wood to keep it from penetrating. I've seen way to many decks painted that have rotten sub structures well before their life span is up.

Last edited:
Grind the heads of the screws off and then pry your decking boards up off them. Be sure to place another board under your pry bar so it it does not mar the remaining decking. Break the screws off with a hammer and place your new deck in down.

Good one.

I almost built a deck on the back of my house a few years ago but decided to go flagstone patio. So glad I did, no maintenance at all.

As for your issue OP I would pry/bust the boards up then remove or cut off the screws. If the boards are rotten they should come off pretty easy.

Don't paint it.....stain it. Paint traps in moisture and stain seals the pours and cracks in wood to keep it from penetrating. I've seen way to many decks painted that have rotten sub structures well before their life span is up.

How do you feel about products such as Behr Deckover or Rustolium Restore?

How do you feel about products such as Behr Deckover or Rustolium Restore?

I think they both are decent products but a surface meant for entertaining (like a deck) will get scratched scarred and nicked. As soon as a pore is opened or a gouge is made, water can enter the wood in which there is a not an escape. I have never been a fan of deck paints. Trying to seal out the water on a material that is meant to absorb is about all you can do to try to extend the life. Let wood be wood. If you want a water tight material...... Install trex or another synthetic material to keep it out. Fighting nature never works as the wood will rot and you will not get the age out of it you are lookin for.

Unless you paint the sub structure (2x8 or 2x10's etc.) before you install the decking, you are creating a water intrusion point in the framing of the deck. What good is the decking if the sub structure is being damaged from within.

Last edited:
I think they both are decent products but a surface meant for entertaining (like a deck) will get scratched scarred and nicked. As soon as a pore is opened or a gouge is made, water can enter the wood in which there is a not an escape. I have never been a fan of deck paints. Trying to seal out the water on a material that is meant to absorb is about all you can do to try to extend the life. Let wood be wood. If you want a water tight material...... Install trex or another synthetic material to keep it out. Fighting nature never works as the wood will rot and you will not get the age out of it you are lookin for.

Unless you paint the sub structure (2x8 or 2x10's etc.) before you install the decking, you are creating a water intrusion point in the framing of the deck. What good is the decking if the sub structure is being damaged from within.

Thanks, we have a LARGE deck which I stain every two years and just getting a little tired of doing it or like last year, paying to have it done. I was looking at alternatives for next year.

I have two boards that need to be replaced on my deck. Seemed like a pretty straightforward job. Unscrew the old boards, screw in new ones.

Well, I can't get the screws to come out. I have an 18v Black and Decker drill and it will not turn the screws. I tried manually turning them to get them started but no luck.

So how do I get these boards out without damaging the support beam?
Siap. The two boards that need replacing, break them out. You may have to start the process with a drill and a jig saw, or a wrecking bar and pry them out. This will leave the body of the old screw exposed and able to put a pair of vice grips on them and twist them out.

More than likely the screws will break while twisting. If this happens, flush them with the top of the joist and place new boards. I assume you are using pressure treated deck boards.

Here is where you choose to be cheap or do it right. New screws should be 2" Deck Mates or equivalent. They come with a bit for your power drill.

I can almost guarantee the old screws used were dry wall screws. The ACQ lumber treatment will eat them over time. Your choice.

What about that behr stuff they are showing on tv right now. Is that paint or stain. It's a huge commercial campaign. There is a bluish color I'm dying for

What about that behr stuff they are showing on tv right now. Is that paint or stain. It's a huge commercial campaign. There is a bluish color I'm dying for

You can get that in whatever color you want, kat. Just take a swath in to your local Home Depot paint counter and they will match it.

Good advice so far guys. I may be lacking some of the tools suggested. My bro-in-law might though.

To be clear, the whole boards aren't completely rotten. They just started to split at the end where they meet the next board on the support beam. One has gotten pretty bad and could be dangerous if stepped on by a heavier fellow.

I don't like water intrusion in any way. That is why I am so anal about water getting inside or water being able to stay inside. But do whichever you prefer as both have been down and will be done for years to come.

Good advice so far guys. I may be lacking some of the tools suggested. My bro-in-law might though.

To be clear, the whole boards aren't completely rotten. They just started to split at the end where they meet the next board on the support beam. One has gotten pretty bad and could be dangerous if stepped on by a heavier fellow.
Go with premium deck boardS as replacements, little more money and a lot less knots.

VN Store

Back