Home Air Conditioners

Coug

Anyone with an upper floor to their home have issues cooling that floor once the outside temp hits 89 or higher?

This seems to be a recurring theme I've noticed regardless of the size of the AC unit. We usually keep the air around 69 and it never fails, once the outside temp gets up around 89 it has trouble maintaining that 69. It'll rise to anywhere between 70 and 74 depending on just how hot it gets outside. Upper 90's outside and you're pretty much screwed. Right now the thermostat is sitting at 72.

Do you have cathedral ceilings? Maybe have your ventilation system cleaned, you'd be surprised how much that will help out.

Do you have cathedral ceilings? Maybe have your ventilation system cleaned, you'd be surprised how much that will help out.

We have regular height ceilings upstairs. We had the vents cleaned a couple years ago and they weren't really bad because the AC unit has a built in accordion style filter in it.

Do you have any roof vents/fans to suck the hot air out of the attic?

We originally had gable vents on the north and south ends of the attic accompanied by a temperature controlled attic fan. When we had the roof replaced the gable vents remained and the fan was removed and replaced by ridge vents.

Yes, I had that problem with my last home. Plenty of attic insulation and had fans also in attic. Had ducts cleaned - no help. Overhead fans on second floor helped a little but when it got over 90, I slept in the basement.

Friend of mine owns an air conditioning business and stated mist calls like yours can be traced to poor ductwork

Yes, I had that problem with my last home. Plenty of attic insulation and had fans also in attic. Had ducts cleaned - no help. Overhead fans on second floor helped a little but when it got over 90, I slept in the basement.

Yeah, I need to recheck the depth of the attic floor insulation as it very well could be a contributing factor. As I understand it the new standard is to have at least 2-3" of blow in insulation covering the attic floor joists. The house was built in '91 so it may or may not have adequate insulation.

they use to lend you a blower,when you bought the blow in insulation,I have no idea if they still do it or not

that is,if you like high ladder work :)

they use to lend you a blower,when you bought the blow in insulation,I have no idea if they still do it or not

that is,if you like high ladder work :)

What do you mean ladder work?

I'm fairly certain if I need more blow in insulation someone besides me will be doing it in the 130 degree attic. :)

that is the way to do it

dad did our ole home place years ago,he had his son in law do it :)

I was in the Navy and not there for it lol

but it was a 1 story house

and we didn't have any AC there,till I was about 17 give or take a few years

Last edited:
that is the way to do it

dad did our ole home place years ago,he had his son in law do it :)

I was in the Navy and not there for it lol

but it was a 1 story house

and we didn't have any AC there,till I was about 17 give or take a few years

I'd live in a world without internet, and cell phones before I'd live in one with no AC. :)

Reactions: 1 person
I'm with you on the inter net part,I have never had the urge to have a cell phone

but if you had never had AC you wouldn't miss it,you would sit outside,on the porch and throw rocks at the niebhours

or count cars,we did that at mamaws,in down town Kingsport :) you would see the occasional wreck at the stop signs

Just curious since the temps have been in the 90s for about a week now if anyone else is having issues?

I'm still wondering if it's an attic insulation issue and if so does anyone have any contractor recommendations?

Just curious since the temps have been in the 90s for about a week now if anyone else is having issues?

I'm still wondering if it's an attic insulation issue and if so does anyone have any contractor recommendations?

Ive been told by a few different contractors that if the inside temp is 20 degrees less than outside temp, there's just not a whole lot you can do. I've been fighting the same issue myself. I've done the attic insulation, and tinted my windows. Neither helped that much. I hope to replace the windows soon and hopefully that will help. But when it's pushing a hundy outside, I think I'm just SOL.

Ive been told by a few different contractors that if the inside temp is 20 degrees less than outside temp, there's just not a whole lot you can do. I've been fighting the same issue myself. I've done the attic insulation, and tinted my windows. Neither helped that much. I hope to replace the windows soon and hopefully that will help. But when it's pushing a hundy outside, I think I'm just SOL.

I've also heard something similar in the past. Funny how that rule doesn't apply in the winter though. I've got the solution to this problem, build an extra empty floor to your house. You'd never have to worry about radiant heat after that. :)

Ac is set at 75. I really got use to 78 when I was in havasu.

Ice packs were in my bed nightly.

I also recommend sleeping in board shorts, they are definitely cooler.

VN Store

Back