4k tv

If you'd asked me a year ago, I would have said don't waste your money. However 4K TV's can be had now for great prices so now I say, why not?

Vizio MSeries 55" Class 55" Diag. LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HD TV Gray M55-C2 - Best Buy

However I will say this, the "4K" resolution is NOT the end all/be all to picture quality. I had the pleasure of seeing this little 1080p OLED beauty at my local Best Buy Magnolia store the other day and let me tell you, it beats the pants off of any TV I've ever laid eyes on, 4K included!

LG 55" Class 5458" Diag. OLED Curved 1080p Smart 3D HDTV Black 55EC9300 - Best Buy

I was walking around Sam's one day killing time, looking at TVs. IMO, the Vizio P Series 4K ultra HD models had the best looking picture. Even better than the curved Samsung.

Keep in mind that networks/cable/satellite aren't broadcasting in 4K yet. The only way to really get 4k will be when the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players (Blu-rays) begin hitting shelves this fall.

4k sets offer upscaling for non UHD content. There is also native 4k content that is available through streaming sources. I love the pic quality on mine.

It's really not up them. CBS, NBC, HBO, ESPN, etc have to buy equipment to film in 4k then deliver the content to the cable/satellite providers.

It will be years before all networks convert to 4K. By then the display manufacturers will be ruling out the next big thing.

I've heard varying things on this and I'm also hesitant. Last I heard a good portion of networks were still broadcasting in 720p even in 2014.

Directv's 4k content will likely be some of their Ppv movies but any networks likely won't go to 4k for decades. The delivery of high quality 4k content would be cost prohibitive and the compression to get it to where you could play it would be heavily compressed. I work in post and clients shoot in 4 and 6K all the time but that's so if you need to blow anything up or manipulate the picture, you can do so without any resolution loss

It's really not up them. CBS, NBC, HBO, ESPN, etc have to buy equipment to film in 4k then deliver the content to the cable/satellite providers.

It will be years before all networks convert to 4K. By then the display manufacturers will be ruling out the next big thing.

They haven't even made it to 1080p yet. They're all 720p or 1080i.

Keep in mind that networks/cable/satellite aren't broadcasting in 4K yet. The only way to really get 4k will be when the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players (Blu-rays) begin hitting shelves this fall.

4K hell, many networks don't even broadcast in 1080p! There are several who are still using 720p or 1080i!

If I were buying a new TV today, I'd get that 1080p LG OLED TV. It's simply the best picture I've ever laid my eyes on, including 4K sets. For the most part, 4K is completley superfluous. Most people don't even have a TV large enough in their homes to see the benefits of 4K.

Last edited:
4K hell, many networks don't even broadcast in 1080p! There are several who are still using 720p or 1080i!

If I were buying a new TV today, I'd get that 1080p LG OLED TV. It's simply the best picture I've ever laid my eyes on, including 4K sets. For the most part, 4K is completley superfluous. Most people don't even have a TV large enough in their homes to see the benefits of 4K.

Networks going 720p or 1080i is more about the frame rate.

The only advantage to 4K is that you can buy a 4K video camera and film in 4K and then watch it on your 4K TV. Other than that it is pointless.

Some of you enterprising types can become a 4K indie film maker and provide the first content to channels like Discovery and National Geographic who will probably be among the first to go to 4K. You can get good quality 4K cameras pretty cheap.

Some of you enterprising types can become a 4K indie film maker and provide the first content to channels like Discovery and National Geographic who will probably be among the first to go to 4K. You can get good quality 4K cameras pretty cheap.

Netflix is shooting all their shows in 4K since last fall. They will be streaming 4K-shot material this year.

VN Store

Back