Weapons for self defense outside of US

sofflavol

il kick u in the vols
Headed abroad this summer.. Was hoping I could get some advice from other people that carry for self defense on here what they have used out of the country. Where I'm going no firearms, but if anyone has experience I'd appreciate it.

I'm curious where he's going to be that he feels like he needs a weapon.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd assume that most places outside America hate Americans, so giving them possible reasoning to arrest you is probably not the greatest idea. No weapons may legitimately be a safer move just because you don't want to risk some random law locking you up for some period of time

I'd assume that most places outside America hate Americans, so giving them possible reasoning to arrest you is probably not the greatest idea. No weapons may legitimately be a safer move just because you don't want to risk some random law locking you up for some period of time

This is not a great assumption. It really depends on where you are going.

I'm curious where he's going to be that he feels like he needs a weapon.

I'm going to assume that you aren't the kind of person that would carry a weapon in the first place for your own protection so I don't think the place really matters to you. We're traveling to Europe, I'm a ccw here in the states. I d like to be able to have a small pocket knife or small baton for evening time walks with my wife. I don't live under the assumption that everywhere I go isn't "safe" but I think you fail to realize there are bad people everywhere and it can't hurt to be prepared for an altercation.

It's North Korea, Iran, and the majority of the rest of the middle east. :)

There are quite a few more than that. You'd be surprised.

I'd say that a lot of European countries don't necessarily like Americans really. Plus most European police don't give a f*** who you are or where you're from, they'll kick you a** regardless.

There are quite a few more than that. You'd be surprised.

I'd say that a lot of European countries don't necessarily like Americans really. Plus most European police don't give a f*** who you are or where you're from, they'll kick you a** regardless.

They don't tend to like the boisterous and condescending attitudes that come with many Americans. By and large if you're respectful and friendly, make an attempt to speak the language and respect the culture a great many problems are eliminated.

Except in Paris and the surrounding areas...

You know this though.

Anyway OP, wise man once said if you go expecting trouble, trouble will find you. A pocket knife is about the only thing I'd suggest taking and a smaller one at that. A folder with a two inch blade wouldn't garner the attention of the local cops that happen to encounter the dumb American tourist that doesn't know the local laws.

Can't go wrong with a sword cane IMO. Maybe a blowgun pen too.

Also halberds are legal in most of europe.

They don't tend to like the boisterous and condescending attitudes that come with many Americans. By and large if you're respectful and friendly, make an attempt to speak the language and respect the culture a great many problems are eliminated.

Except in Paris and the surrounding areas...

You know this though.

Anyway OP, wise man once said if you go expecting trouble, trouble will find you. A pocket knife is about the only thing I'd suggest taking and a smaller one at that. A folder with a two inch blade wouldn't garner the attention of the local cops that happen to encounter the dumb American tourist that doesn't know the local laws.

Thanks for the advice. Paris is one of the destinations, haven't been in a fight since grade school not a big hot head. I've been conceal carrying for almost 10 years and never have had to draw my gun, I don't ever plan on it either. But the "your looking for trouble" is pretty far from the truth. I have a leatherman multi tool I'm thinking should suffice.

Chances are your own neighborhood is more dangerous than where you're going.

I'll check the crime rates for the suburb I live in compared to Paris, London and Berlin and get back to you on that. I have a strong feeling your wrong on that.

I'll check the crime rates for the suburb I live in compared to Paris, London and Berlin and get back to you on that. I have a strong feeling your wrong on that.

Such a strange place America, where people have the means to visit Western Europe but not the common sense to realize that what weapon to bring should be priority number 87956835683684, right below a disguise for when Berliners inevitably mistake you for Brad Pitt.

Such a strange place America, where people have the means to visit Western Europe but not the common sense to realize that what weapon to bring should be priority number 87956835683684, right below a disguise for when Berliners inevitably mistake you for Brad Pitt.

I realize now I should have posted this question in the armory thread I forgot how much of a tizzy some of you get when we talk about protecting one's self with a weapon on here. It won't really effect my trip one bit, just was interested in seeing if anyone has any experience outside the states

I realize now I should have posted this question in the armory thread I forgot how much of a tizzy some of you get when we talk about protecting one's self with a weapon on here. It won't really effect my trip one bit, just was interested in seeing if anyone has any experience outside the states

I have four years of living in Europe and I'm probably one of the most ardent 2A and right to self defense supporters on this board. And not once in four years did I ever have to remove my pocket knife in a defensive situation.

You want a good defensive tip? Don't stand out like the touristy American. You draw attention to yourself and you're more likely to have trouble.

Do what you want, but you have some great advice so far.

I have four years of living in Europe and I'm probably one of the most ardent 2A and right to self defense supporters on this board. And not once in four years did I ever have to remove my pocket knife in a defensive situation.

You want a good defensive tip? Don't stand out like the touristy American. You draw attention to yourself and you're more likely to have trouble.

Do what you want, but you have some great advice so far.

I was figuring on my small Swiss army to be plenty..once again I don't think I painted myself as Rambo that wants to travel with a 10 inch k bar on my hip it was a basic question if anyone had any time with a small blade outside the states.. just a small tidbit we were visiting my brother in law in Nicaragua and were robbed by our taxi driver in broad day light. I'm not gunna be walking around with a team USA shirt on I stick to pretty casual wear as is. I don't think it's out of the norm to carry a small pocket knife in Europe.

Look European as much as possible. Get some tight shirts, capris and van tennis shoes. Maybe dye your hair red and spike it to one side. Just don't carry a camera around and you should be fine.

VN Store

Back