Projector Recommendations

BearCat204

Second Chances
Looking to purchase a projector for the back deck for this upcoming football season. Have no clue as to what to shop for as far as specifications. Anyone use a projector for watching games outside? What are some things I should look for in a projector? TIA

I can't give any recommendations, but one piece of advice I will give is to check on the cost of replacement bulbs. You may find a great deal on a projector only to die of shock when you find out a replacement bulb cost several hundred dollars.

1009_big.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Outside?
Unless you are only watching night games. Even theatre quality projectors have a hard time providing a good image in daylight.

Outside?
Unless you are only watching night games. Even theatre quality projectors have a hard time providing a good image in daylight.

Yes, outside. I was sure that in this day and age, that the tech was out there for this. I mean we have curved 4K tvs now :)

I can't give any recommendations, but one piece of advice I will give is to check on the cost of replacement bulbs. You may find a great deal on a projector only to die of shock when you find out a replacement bulb cost several hundred dollars.

This. In some instances, buying a whole new one makes sense over a replacement bulb.

I have an Optoma HD131xe. It is HD/3D projector. I don't think they make this model anymore, but I give it two thumbs up as of now. Their replacement bulbs are reasonably priced, and so far the projector looks great.

Yeah, the other poster was correct. Unless you are wanting to watch night games only, you may want to skip the projector.

Random bump. Looking to perhaps buy a projector this weekend, was curious if you bought one yet, and if you like it. I'm back and forth on 70 inch TV or a projector.

I've had my Epson ProCinema for four years. Here's the skinny:

- Much larger screen than a "regular" TV, which is awesome for sports, movies, and video games.
- The picture quality and brightness of projectors is vastly improved from those of earlier generations. However, it still needs to be relatively dark in the room. Outdoors would require waiting until after sunset for any reasonable use.
- Like other TVs, the price of a good projector is MUCH more affordable than it used to be. Decent entry level units run $500 or so; quality home theater units more in the $2k range.
- Unless absolutely necessary, I'd go with a fixed screen.
- Replacement bulbs can be pricey, but I ordered an off-brand compatible bulb last time which was around $45 and seems to perform equally to the OEM. Too early to judge the life span of this bulb, but the prior ones have gone about a year and a half, with quite a bit of usage when you include my kids' XBox time. It's an unfair criticism to say that replacing bulbs is cost-prohibitive.

Unless there is no way to control the light in your viewing space, a projector is, to me, the only way to roll.

Thank you for the info. **** it I'm going to take the plunge. Oddly Epson is the brand that I have been checking out the most. Hopefully I'll be watching a life sized Jalen Hurd crushing LBs Saturday. :)

Epsom it's my mother Inlaws , outside screen is 140" inside is 110" can go up to I think 200" very clear and detailed at night, you can see the reflection on the pool. Wireless Bose sub woofer and 4 speakers provide epic sound! Can't wait to see some football on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
I've had my Epson ProCinema for four years. Here's the skinny:

- Much larger screen than a "regular" TV, which is awesome for sports, movies, and video games.
- The picture quality and brightness of projectors is vastly improved from those of earlier generations. However, it still needs to be relatively dark in the room. Outdoors would require waiting until after sunset for any reasonable use.
- Like other TVs, the price of a good projector is MUCH more affordable than it used to be. Decent entry level units run $500 or so; quality home theater units more in the $2k range.
- Unless absolutely necessary, I'd go with a fixed screen.
- Replacement bulbs can be pricey, but I ordered an off-brand compatible bulb last time which was around $45 and seems to perform equally to the OEM. Too early to judge the life span of this bulb, but the prior ones have gone about a year and a half, with quite a bit of usage when you include my kids' XBox time. It's an unfair criticism to say that replacing bulbs is cost-prohibitive.

Unless there is no way to control the light in your viewing space, a projector is, to me, the only way to roll.

That's a pretty pathetic bulb lifespan.

Epsom it's my mother Inlaws , outside screen is 140" inside is 110" can go up to I think 200" very clear and detailed at night, you can see the reflection on the pool. Wireless Bose sub woofer and 4 speakers provide epic sound! Can't wait to see some football on it

Nice

This Sony is a good choice.....

shopping

Sony VPL-GT100 4K SXRD Projector, 2000 Lumens, 1000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 4096 x 2160 ResolutionSony · LCoS · 4096 x 2160 · 4K · Component · 2,000 lumen

4096 x 2160 Resolution The Sony VPL-GT100 4K SXRD Projector with 2000 lumens brightness and a dual display port input for 4096x2160 resolution at 60 frames per second.
$34,429.95
Free shipping. No tax
B&H Photo-Video-Audio
(167,158)

$34,429.95
Adorama CameraCompare prices from 2 stores

That thing better give me a happy ending every time I turn it on.

This Sony is a good choice.....

shopping

Sony VPL-GT100 4K SXRD Projector, 2000 Lumens, 1000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 4096 x 2160 ResolutionSony · LCoS · 4096 x 2160 · 4K · Component · 2,000 lumen

4096 x 2160 Resolution The Sony VPL-GT100 4K SXRD Projector with 2000 lumens brightness and a dual display port input for 4096x2160 resolution at 60 frames per second.
$34,429.95
Free shipping. No tax
B&H Photo-Video-Audio
(167,158)

$34,429.95
Adorama CameraCompare prices from 2 stores

One sale... 20% off list price, while supplies last.

It weighs 44 pounds and replacement bulbs cost around $750.

Buy one of those Sony projectors for your home and you get a lifetime membership to the Small Penis Society.

VN Store

Back