Trying to keep my brother from regretting his college choice

appyvol

My brother graduates this Saturday. He was a standout athlete at our small high school in SWVA. He had numerous NAIA scholarship offers as well as a few DII and DI walk on offers to play QB. He seems to be set that he doesn't want to play anymore. I don't understand why, but I'm trying to respect his decision. I just know he will regret it. He seems to think he is too short. He is very short for a QB, but if they didn't think he would be capable he wouldn't have received these offers. The school he really wants to attend offered him a walk on spot on the team, but he said he doesn't plan on playing. Any ideas on how to talk him out of this?

My brother graduates this Saturday. He was a standout athlete at our small high school in SWVA. He had numerous NAIA scholarship offers as well as a few DII and DI walk on offers to play QB. He seems to be set that he doesn't want to play anymore. I don't understand why, but I'm trying to respect his decision. I just know he will regret it. He seems to think he is too short. He is very short for a QB, but if they didn't think he would be capable he wouldn't have received these offers. The school he really wants to attend offered him a walk on spot on the team, but he said he doesn't plan on playing. Any ideas on how to talk him out of this?
I figure he's more in tune to whether or not he wants to continue playing football or not more than you are

Reactions: 8 people

If his desire is gone... Not going to change and better for all parties involved.

Reactions: 1 person

Show him pictures of Giselle Bundchen and remind him that Tom Brady was the 199th pick in the 2000 draft.

I had some DIII schools interested in me for basketball. I didn't really want to go to any of these schools, and it's not much fun playing in front of no one.

Why is him playing in college so important to you? I played basketball my first year of college at a small D II school and it consumes you. Up at 6am for workouts, go to class, then practice its a job!! I finally realized college was supposed to be enjoyable and that my hoops career was over. Best decision I ever made. Walked into UT at a great time and loved going to school.

He has spent his life dedicated to athletics. He is over it. He wants to be something besides a QB. Have his back and dont try to change his mind.

The only advantage I see to him playing football at a smaller school is strictly financial, which is a huge advantage, seeing as how student loans are a major problem in the US right now. But if he doesn't want to play football, I can't really blame him. And if he would just be a squad punching bag on the team that offered the walk on spot, the risk isn't worth it.

Let him walk away, IMO.

There is no glory in getting your brains bashed in in Division II football, or whatever. Better to pick a school for academic/career reasons.

I came very close to attending a small college in order to further my football career.

At the last minute I decided to go to UT though. I figured it'd be a lot more fun to watch UT play every weekend from the student section than play in some meaningless D3 football game. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I played 2 years of college baseball at a small school. Decided to have some fun and work on graduating after I got it out of my system. Wouldn't do it any other way.

I got to have it both ways. My advice is to tell him he's not signing a long term contract. Take it 1 year at a time.

I played 2 years of college baseball at a small school. Decided to have some fun and work on graduating after I got it out of my system. Wouldn't do it any other way.

I got to have it both ways. My advice is to tell him he's not signing a long term contract. Take it 1 year at a time.

I had a friend that certainly could have continued his baseball career collegiate but instead chose the school that offered the best chance to start his current career path. He hasn't shown one sign of regretting his decision.

As Elsa would say.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 93

VN Store

Back