Metal Roofs- I need opinions and guidance

Obsessed

Lab Rat
I know absolutely nothing about them. Our architectural shingle roof has hail damage and has leaked causing problems in the home. Sheetrock and the like will also be replaced after the roof is replaced

I need to know what to look for in a contractor besides the obvious. ( license, insured)
Maybe a particular brand that is carried? Different style of install? ( I've read there are two types)

Just any general knowledge or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Upside- last longer and sounds nice when it rains
Downside- cost more and cannot be walked on safety on steeper roofs.

I'm in the business and I personally like them. But I would not put it on my home. Where do you live?

Upside- last longer and sounds nice when it rains
Downside- cost more and cannot be walked on safety on steeper roofs.

I'm in the business and I personally like them. But I would not put it on my home. Where do you live?

Arkansas.

My roof isn't steep. I don't like heights but I'll get on this roof. We have already had a estimate for both types. (Metal and shingles)
Same company quoted both

Metal. 15,000
Shingles 10,400

I have a lot of roof. House, sun room, gazebo, and latge roof area over my outside kitchen area. (Includes pool house)

Arkansas.

My roof isn't steep. I don't like heights but I'll get on this roof. We have already had a estimate for both types. (Metal and shingles)
Same company quoted both

Metal. 15,000
Shingles 10,400

I have a lot of roof. House, sun room, gazebo, and latge roof area over my outside kitchen area. (Includes pool house)

Depending on total sq footage that does not sound bad and I'm assuming prices are similar to the Nashville market (should be close). I would have guessed, based on the prices you gave that you have a lot of Sq footage and if that is the case, then the quotes you recieved are extremely reasonable. I would say, go with what you like. I just have a personal preference but durable wise, you can't go wrong with metal.

Depending on total sq footage that does not sound bad and I'm assuming prices are similar to the Nashville market (should be close). I would have guessed, based on the prices you gave that you have a lot of Sq footage and if that is the case, then the quotes you recieved are extremely reasonable. I would say, go with what you like. I just have a personal preference but durable wise, you can't go wrong with metal.

You like it? But wouldn't put it on your home?

Insurance company has told me that while it's more expensive, it will lower the cost of the home owners...

What about home value?

Thanks for your time.

You like it? But wouldn't put it on your home?

Insurance company has told me that while it's more expensive, it will lower the cost of the home owners...

What about home value?

Thanks for your time.

I like it yes. I'm in the contracting business so it makes me more money per sq ft than shingled roof install. Do I want it on my home? No sir I don't.

Did not know that about them as I probably should. But it makes sense insurance is cheaper as less chance of damage (as long as it is installed properly).

It will will help the value. I don't know the averages but your house will appraise for more (assuming you are not the best house in an average prices neighborhood).

Interesting info here. Personally I don't like the look of metal roofs and would have assumed they were cheaper and decreased home value based on cosmetics.

We're big fans of the newer 3D fiberglass shingle roofs and the way they look. We had the roof replaced about 2 to 3 years ago. I'm not sure what the difference is though between those and the old asphalt material though.

When I buy a car I talk to Jerry, when I buy a boat I talk to Jerry. What I'm saying is Jerry knows about buying stuff.

Reactions: 1 person
I had a metal roof installed around 12 years ago. I like it, has held up well. I know installers screw it down different ways. I had my screws installed on top the ridge, my next door neighbor had his screwed down on flat part. Both have help up without any leaks. If you go with metal be sure to have the installers stip the roof with some type of 1x's To screw metal to. Do not let them install metal directly to roof.

My dad had metal roofs put on his house and two rentals. When it rains, I can't hear it while in the house. These roofs have a 50yr warranty and look great. They were installed over shingles.

As Gramps said, they must be installed on furring strips. You also want to ensure a layer of roofing felt is installed over the shingles first.

You can't go wrong with metal roof, imo. You can purchase the roofing in any color. Orange comes to mind.:)

I had a metal roof installed around 12 years ago. I like it, has held up well. I know installers screw it down different ways. I had my screws installed on top the ridge, my next door neighbor had his screwed down on flat part. Both have help up without any leaks. If you go with metal be sure to have the installers stip the roof with some type of 1x's To screw metal to. Do not let them install metal directly to roof.

The 1x's is what I was curious about. I've seen it both ways and have read both reasons for doing so. The installation of the 1x's makes more sense to me.

Thanks gramps.

My dad had metal roofs put on his house and two rentals. When it rains, I can't hear it while in the house. These roofs have a 50yr warranty and look great. They were installed over shingles.

As Gramps said, they must be installed on furring strips. You also want to ensure a layer of roofing felt is installed over the shingles first.

You can't go wrong with metal roof, imo. You can purchase the roofing in any color. Orange comes to mind.:)

Orange huh? Wonder how the wife will respond.....

What about having the shingles removed first before the install? Good idea or no?

Orange huh? Wonder how the wife will respond.....

What about having the shingles removed first before the install? Good idea or no?

Always demo is my opinion. Again, I'm in the business so you charge for tear off and haul away as well. But I always recommend it so here is less weight on the roof. If you have 2 layers of shingles and then the lathes strips along with metal, it is a lot of weight.

Always demo is my opinion. Again, I'm in the business so you charge for tear off and haul away as well. But I always recommend it so here is less weight on the roof. If you have 2 layers of shingles and then the lathes strips along with metal, it is a lot of weight.

The weight is what I am concerned with, but also thought the existing shingles may offer additional insulation??

Any opinions on the 1x's being used?

I am no roofer, but my guess would be if the structural integrity is still there for the existing roof then I would just put the metal over it.

The weight is what I am concerned with, but also thought the existing shingles may offer additional insulation??

Any opinions on the 1x's being used?

1x's give an extra air barrier for the additional insulation (like double pane glass). The additional shingles do not have any (maybe minor but definitely not worth fretting over) insulating qualities.

OB
You can call these guys...They service Ft Smith as well..

IMO, if insurance is going to cover the replacement asphalt, I'd pay the difference for metal, for the durability, and longer life

Foster Roofing: Fort Smith Roofing | Bentonville Roofing | Springdale & Fayetteville, AR Roofing Company

Have you used these guys?

The wife has decided we are going with metal. The insurance is picking up the tab.(less the deductible) Hell they are even paying for new gutters, the roof on the horse barn and new flooring. (Wood and carpet)

All these storms have beaten my place up. The adjuster found more stuff that needed repair than I did.

VN Store

Back