New Tennessee logo?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
$46,000 for this? Really?

7835634_G.jpg

Tennessee pays $46K for new state logo - WSMV Channel 4

I'm pretty sure you can hold a 5th grade contest and come up with something better.

Reactions: 2 people
Cody Bennett, Account Executive at GS&F, was educated at Haslam College of Business at the University of Tennessee.
328472d.png

And, we have fans on VN who could've done much better. Looks like something a 4th grader could do.

Reactions: 1 person
Gov. Bill Haslam's office confirmed the logo will replace several others. A spokesman said part of the reason it was necessary was to give the state a unified look.

hmmm... one Tennessee. Where have I heard that before?

If I were GS&F, can't say that I would really want my name recognized as the company that was paid $46k to create this logo.

That's pathetic. The minimalistic design trends are sucking the creativity out of graphic design.

This also reminds me of ETSU paying a company in Texas around 20k for a new logo when they have a graphic design department and digital media department on campus that could have done it for a scholarship or something.

Reactions: 2 people
As someone who has worked at an ad agency and knows the history of this particular agency as well as anyone around, I don't blame the agency. I blame the client who decided they needed a new logo. There were likely dozens of designs, multitude of hours spent in meetings with focus groups and the client. Honestly, $46K isn't super expensive for a new logo creation. Domino's spent millions changing their logo.

Also...who gave ch. 4 the crappy logo? Could they not insist on a tiff or a targa?

Just more government waste. Plus, pitiful product. (See the trend here???)

I had a well-known local company redesign a logo for my practice a couple years ago, and it is fresh, colorful, and professional... Cost us a little over $1k.

don't understand why they didn't just use the tristar from the flag and have it simply be the circle

That's pathetic. The minimalistic design trends are sucking the creativity out of graphic design.

This also reminds me of ETSU paying a company in Texas around 20k for a new logo when they have a graphic design department and digital media department on campus that could have done it for a scholarship or something.

I dont think the minimalist design is the problem, really. The tri-star is fairly minimalistic but its iconic and popular. This one? Is nothing, literally nothing. Its a thing that exists and that's all. Absolutely pathetic that this is the best they could come up with...not that the tri-star should have been replaced in the first place.

Reactions: 1 person
The agency (which has been around for like 30 years) takes their direction from the client. It was the state that decided to earmark the funds to come up with 1 logo for all state dept. The client approval process is very time consuming without throwing the bureaucracy of the govt. in there. Basically this is for letter heads and envelope type things.

What was wrong with this?

Not u-need-fried enough like Haslam said. He should stick to being governor and not judging art contests that a monkey could place in (and I did see a painting , by an elephant, go for a lot of money a few years back).

Last edited:
That's because it is red. The poor quality, blown up logo that the tv station used is why the colors are out of wack and it is blurry

VN Store

Back