Very sad, heinous crime involving a 22 month old child in my hometown

ainge10heisman

Tennessee Pusher
Smithville Couple Indicted in Death of 22 Month Old Child (VIEW VIDEO HERE) | WJLE

A Smithville mother and her boyfriend were indicted by the DeKalb County Grand Jury today (Tuesday) in the death of the woman's 22 month old son over the weekend.

Cody Key is charged in the indictment with first degree felony murder while the child's mother is indicted on a charge of aggravated child neglect.

"The child suffered great injuries and as a result the child died," said District Attorney General Bryant Dunaway in an interview with WJLE Tuesday morning.

According to D.A. Dunaway, the child was brought to the hospital by the couple Sunday morning but he was already deceased. The youngster was found to have internal and other physical injuries to his body. Key is alleged to have inflicted the injuries. May is accused of having known the abuse had been taking place.

"At approximately 3:11 am Sunday Smithville Police Sergeant Travis Bryant and Officer Joey Myers were dispatched to the emergency room of DeKalb Community Hospital in reference to a possible child abuse resulting in the death of a two year old child. Investigating officers deemed the death to be of a suspicious nature," said Captain Steven Leffew. " I was notified along with Lieutenant Matt Holmes and Detective Brandon Donnell . Additionally District Attorney Bryant Dunaway and investigators from the District Attorney's office and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation responded," he said.
The case remains under investigation by the Smithville Police Department , the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, and the District Attorney General's Office.

"We presented the case to the DeKalb County Grand Jury (Tuesday, May 19) related to the death of a 22 month old male child," said D.A. Dunaway. " Over the weekend the child was brought to DeKalb Community Hospital by the child's mother and her boyfriend. The child was deceased at the time of arrival. We believe the child was killed by the boyfriend late Saturday night or early Sunday morning in their home where they resided together. We believe the child died based upon physical injuries to the body and internally which were inflicted by the boyfriend," he said.

The DeKalb County Grand Jury issued true bills today (Tuesday) indicting both Cody Key with first degree felony murder. The mother of the child Jessica May has been indicted for aggravated child neglect based upon a pattern of abuse and neglect over a period of time. We believe that the allegations of continuous abuse and neglect of the child over a period of approximately one year was known by the mother and that she either participated in or allowed the events to happen," said D.A. Dunaway.

"We take these matters very seriously. The abuse and neglect of a child is very serious. It's one of the most horrendous types of crimes that one can imagine," he said.

"This is truly a tragic event. I pledge absolute commitment from the Smithville Police Department in the continued pursuit of justice in this case. Our prayers for strength and heartfelt condolences go out to the family," added Captain Leffew.

I know both of these sick individuals, as does most people from DeKalb County. We are a very small, tight knit community, and we're all in absolute shock. I would like to see the man/boyfriend (Cody Key) get the death penalty. I would also like to see the mother (Jessica May) get the harshest penalties that's possible by TN law handed down to her as well. Her charge of aggravated child neglect is a Class A Felony since the child was under the age of 8 years old, and is punishable by up to 60 years in prison, and no less than 15 years. I believe she should get the full 60 years considering this has all been going on for at least one total year.

I'm not sure who is sicker. The man in question for repeatedly abusing the child over a lengthy amount of time until the child died, or the mother for idly standing by and knowingly allowing this to happen without the slightest attempt to stop it. What is everyone's opinion on this? Sorry for the extremely long post, but I felt this was thread worthy, and that all the details of the case needed to be included.

My prayers go out to the family and friends of the young child. This is truly a tragedy that did not have to happen. I hope there is a special place in hell for both of these sick, twisted individuals. RIP!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If the Mother has little to no criminal history, then she will face 15-25. The media always throws out the ranges, but it is based on prior record.

Terrible tragedy however it happened. I am a criminal defense attorney, but the information provided doesn't say much about the evidence.

If the Mother has little to no criminal history, then she will face 15-25. The media always throws out the ranges, but it is based on prior record.

Terrible tragedy however it happened. I am a criminal defense attorney, but the information provided doesn't say much about the evidence.

My understanding is that she doesn't have any prior criminal history.

I live in Dekalb and went to school with the mother and the real father. Didn't know anything about the boyfriend other than he was a real ass according to most people. So sad to see. The mother may not have had a history, but she definitely hangs with the wrong crowd.

Sad part is the child's real father is a hard working honest guy who would've gladly taken care of him. The mother and boyfriend kept him away from him and had excuses every time he would try to get him.

Who was the real father? Shane who? I know a lot of people don't like to say peoples last names on public forums, but all of this will soon be public knowledge.

I hate to see stuff like this happen. The child is caught in the middle of a bad situation that they have no control over. If these two are proven guilty of this crime someone needs to beat them like they beat that poor child.

I hope his rear end gets the size of the Grand Canyon in prison. Then he gets a horrible, chronic painful disease and lives a long life on a vent, alive, totally coherent, but incapacitated. What a POS. as for her, pig food.

Inmates of prisons do not take kindly to other inmates that have raped or harmed children. He will get what is coming to him in the form of sexual slavery for the next 50 yrs. In that case, I would say the punishment fits the crime.

Reactions: 2 people
There is no rehab for child abusers IMO. In this case I hope his father gets ahold of this punk. The boyfriend does not deserve to be alive

Inmates of prisons do not take kindly to other inmates that have raped or harmed children. He will get what is coming to him in the form of sexual slavery for the next 50 yrs. In that case, I would say the punishment fits the crime.

That's supposedly not true. It's been reported that is a myth.

Unfortunately for that exact reason he will be locked down 23 hours a day in a protective custody unit once he gets to prison, and he will basically be untouchable. It will be extremely hard for any inmate to get their hands on him without a little help from the guards. If he gets sentenced to death, then he will be on death row, and what I just said remains true too.

I am also from Smithville. I didn't know the couple very well, but still sad to see this kind of stuff coming from my hometown. I pray for the family of that little boy. Such a tragedy.

Equalize their weight via whatever means necessary and hang them simultaneously with one length of rope over the same branch.

Shane Tovar was this babies father. I hope both Cody Key and Jessica May get the death penalty.. Go to Facebook page > Justice for Colten Alexander May, 23 month old child abuse victim TN. < to help fight for Justice and be Colten's voice ! I'm an aunt on the paternal side and we need justice served. Thank you all for caring !

Shane Tovar was this babies father. I hope both Cody Key and Jessica May get the death penalty.. Go to Facebook page > Justice for Colten Alexander May, 23 month old child abuse victim TN. < to help fight for Justice and be Colten's voice ! I'm an aunt on the paternal side and we need justice served. Thank you all for caring !

This story angers me to no end and anything that can be done to see justice is served is welcome. Will do

These kind of murders almost always seem to involve a tramp with a live in scumbag boyfriend

VN Store

Back