Myrtle Beach-Garden City-Murrells Inlet Fishing question

GreveHaller

Looks like I'm heading that way towards the end of the month and he's pitched it to me that he wants to go deep sea fishing. Anyone have any recommendations for who to use? I've looked on the net but see a range from $35 - $400.

Looks like I'm heading that way towards the end of the month and he's pitched it to me that he wants to go deep sea fishing. Anyone have any recommendations for who to use? I've looked on the net but see a range from $35 - $400.

This won't be a lot of help, but I have gone deep sea fishing many times out that way. Hope you like Ted Snapper. You will be able to have it for dinner for a while.
I don't remember the name of the charter boat we used.

Not going to be much help with the deep sea fishing. However.... Check out dead dog saloon on the inlet and river city grill in surf side. River city will be one of the best burgers you'll eat.

Lower prices are likely wreck fishing off of a big boat with an assload of other people.

I have a friend who goes every year over there, and he always does good, so good luck.

Haven't fished off Myrtle but I would assume it's like everywhere else. You really have two choices.

1. The cheapest route is to go on the party boat. A party boat usually is around $100 for a full day. There are half day options as well. I would go full day because it allows you to go further off shore thus you catch is usually better. Your fishing tine is usually about the same. On a party boat you go out with 20+ people. They take you out over a reef and you simply drop your line over board straight to the bottom. It is usually around 100 feet deep and it takes a sizable sinker to get you down to the bottom, about the size of a small chicken egg. You typically catch small snapper and sea bass and the occasional grouper. Sometimes if your lucky you get some of the larger fish that run in schools off the reef like cobia, mahi dolphin, and amberjack.

2. The more expensive route is to charter a boat. The fishing here is easier, usually a nicer boat and is solely for your party of 4-6. The cost ranges from $400-$1000. You typically will exclusively troll. Your fish could be mackerel, mahi dolfin, and such. If you are really lucky you might hook into a marlin or sailfish. You usually will have several rods out in rod holders and take turns on who gets to reel in the fish. There are species specific trips as well such as shark fishing.

I will hardly ever go on a party boat anymore. And, mahi dolphin are my favorite. They are unbelievably beautiful and are wonderful to eat!

This won't be a lot of help, but I have gone deep sea fishing many times out that way. Hope you like Ted Snapper. You will be able to have it for dinner for a while.
I don't remember the name of the charter boat we used.

Is Ted Snapper the name of a fishing guide?

have fished all over SC. personally for me id drive south and fish for blues or reds with a fly rod out of a kayak.

problem is SC is so far from the jet stream, and with it being so far from FL or Carribean its hit or miss for big billfish.

Id try to talk to a captain. do a specialized trip for Cobia, which is called Nearshore or i SC has it tripletail. all incredible eating but csn be caught around inlets or buoys, usually around where sharks congregate. id skip the offshore **** in SC.

or drive to SFlorida and really go after some Tuna or big Billfish. Stripes, Blues, or Sails. No sense in dropping that kind of coin for Mahi Mahi. Jmo.

have fished all over SC. personally for me id drive south and fish for blues or reds with a fly rod out of a kayak.

problem is SC is so far from the jet stream, and with it being so far from FL or Carribean its hit or miss for big billfish.

Id try to talk to a captain. do a specialized trip for Cobia, which is called Nearshore or i SC has it tripletail. all incredible eating but csn be caught around inlets or buoys, usually around where sharks congregate. id skip the offshore **** in SC.

or drive to SFlorida and really go after some Tuna or big Billfish. Stripes, Blues, or Sails. No sense in dropping that kind of coin for Mahi Mahi. Jmo.

Good advice about picking the right type if trip. We go to OBX and first year we did the party boat for $50/person. It was terrible. Next year we spent $300 to charter a private party boat and near shore. It was equally bad.

Finally spent $1500 went to the gulf stream fishing for white marlin. I hate fishing and dreaded spending that amount of money. At the end of the trip if I had another $1500 I would have signed up for the next day. Easily one of the best experiences of my life.

Don't go just to go. Save up for a good boat in a good location.

Good advice about picking the right type if trip. We go to OBX and first year we did the party boat for $50/person. It was terrible. Next year we spent $300 to charter a private party boat and near shore. It was equally bad.

Finally spent $1500 went to the gulf stream fishing for white marlin. I hate fishing and dreaded spending that amount of money. At the end of the trip if I had another $1500 I would have signed up for the next day. Easily one of the best experiences of my life.

Don't go just to go. Save up for a good boat in a good location.

I understand and agree with the logic but my prob is $ vs time. Dont have enough time to muster that much up. Oh, I can see where that would be an advantage. Heck, even the $300 would be.

I'm not much of a fisher and while my son likes fishing, he's still a novice so for him there's nothing to compare a $50 to a $1500 trip to. I'm always leery about extra cheap rates because (a) the quality of other people could be cheap and (b) you get what you pay for.

I used captain Dicks,in myrtle beach,it was a party boat,but i did catch the biggest fish of my life,a Amber Jack,I finished 2nd in the big fish of the day and almost won a free trip

they did cancel the trip for 2 days,due to weather,it was a puke trip when we went out lol

I seen sharks and other types of fish caught

that was years ago,but if there still in operation,do the all day trip,I did the half day one and nobody caught nothing

it was like a 2 hour run to get to the spot we fished at,but it was worth it

Reactions: 1 person
Hey I live in Murrell's Inlet.

But sorry, I don't fish lol.

Had a great time. We were in Garden City on Sunset last week and went down to Murrell's a few times. Marshwalk is really nice especially waiting for a table. Did Bovines, Dead Dog, and Drunken Jacks.

VN Store

Back