Question for Guitar Players

Jeepkuntry

I took lessons for about 4 months, then gave up. Looking to switch from an acoustic to electric. More my style of music. I won't have time for a teacher and was wondering what book may have helped you the most if you were self-taught.

That depends on what music you actually listen to. What guitarists inspire you?

Much better to take lessons from a qualified teacher plus use a book.

10,000 hour rule. Practice is what it takes. Some people aren't born with "it", but if they practice enough they'll be okay. Youtube is great now. Lots of free lessons... practically every song has multiple lessons.

I just need to learn guitar. I got one over a year ago, but ice never gotten a chance to learn. What's the best place to start/ where should I look?

YouTube as others have said. Taught myself to play drums and guitar on YouTube. I have taken a few guitar lessons over the years to help with my technique and hand posture.

I'm not great by any means but initially I just played all the time (like while watching tv) to get used to the hand movements.

in addition to the free stuff I just bought a package of blues riffs, rhythms from TrueFire and it was dirt cheap (about 10 bucks for several hours worth of tutorials and tab).

Anything with tablature in it is good if you're just wanting to learn songs and can keep up with the rhythm. If you really want to grow your skill, I would suggest learning to read music as well.

If you're just beginning, learning all the "common" chords is a good place to start. But the most important thing, as had already been mentioned, PRACTICE. If you don't apply yourself and take time to work on your skill, you'll never be any good.

I found a book online that is similar to what I used a few years ago. Got an starter guitar today and and back at square one. I like the book because it teaches you to read music while learning the chords.

VN Store

Back