Really old people

lawgator1

Being 51 and getting crankier every day, I don't want to be in the category of old people too soon, so I direct this to really old people. Let's say over 85, or over 80, but acting like they are over 85.

Should be required to undergo in person driving test every two years. And should only be allowed to drive M-F between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Who's with me?

I would tend to think someone got into a car accident this morning.

Being 51 and getting crankier every day, I don't want to be in the category of old people too soon, so I direct this to really old people. Let's say over 85, or over 80, but acting like they are over 85.

Should be required to undergo in person driving test every two years. And should only be allowed to drive M-F between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Who's with me?
At least they won't be texting while driving, so no.

I would tend to think someone got into a car accident this morning.

No, just got stuck behind a blue hair who could barely see over the dashboard, going about 25 in a commercial area, with traffic stacking up behind.

Typical Wednesday in paradise.

I think once people reach the age of 70 they should be tested every 5 years.

Yes, they should be tested or at least cleared by their doctor. My folks are in their late 70s. Dad is fine to drive day or night, but mom doesn't drive anything bigger then her golf cart.

Who's with me?
Age discrimination IMO

Reactions: 7 people

Who's with me?

Without those drivers you'd be out of a job..

Reactions: 2 people
My mom is 90 & still gets around just fine without holding traffic down. But if her car breaks down in traffic, like a couple of years ago, then other drivers behind her are very rude & mean & will shoot her the finger because it's all her fault that they are late for appointments & for work.

Tests/screenings (what have you) should begin every 5 years for those 70-79 and once every year for those 80 and above.

The time restrictions on driving, while worth contemplating, just seem like legal and law enforcement fiascoes waiting to happen. Not to mention charges of ageism, etc.

The tests/screenings should account for whether or not a person can drive in heavy traffic or poor visibility conditions. If they cannot, then it is up to that person to monitor and police their own driving habits. Having to enforce it though, just seems like a nightmare for police and for the judicial system.

My Grandma would not stop driving when she couldn't see. She became rabid whenever her children tried to tell her to knock it off. I don't know what the answer is, but I do think there needs to be more done to prevent blind and slow-reacting people from driving.

There is no way I'm a worse driver at legal BAC limit than a 90 YO is sober.

Age... at least at the upper spectrum... doesn't appear to be the problem. I understand the risks for older age drivers and agree it is a concern, but it seems no one ever suggests more frequent training and licensing requirements for those who actually cause more accidents.

Young people ages 15-24 represent only 14% of the U.S. population. However, they account for 30% ($19 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among males and 28% ($7 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among females.

Who is most at risk?

The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16-to 19 year olds than among any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash.

Age... at least at the upper spectrum... doesn't appear to be the problem. I understand the risks for older age drivers and agree it is a concern, but it seems no one ever suggests more frequent training and licensing requirements for those who actually cause more accidents.

Solution is raise it to 18, with a year of restrictions, then 19 is the full license.

That being said, old people driving still can/and will be a problem. Majority of wrecks might be by teens, but simply bad driving I've seen mostly old people. Fwiw.

VN Store

Back