Photography Discussion

orange parmejohn

I'm finally breaking into the DSLR world and would love to talk shop and ask questions (I have many). I'm not sure if there is enough interest to keep a thread going but I guess we shall see. Please feel free to share your work and your gear of choice.

Not sure I can be of much help but I have have an older entry-level Canon and a few lenses.

Which cameras are you interested in?

Not sure I can be of much help but I have have an older entry-level Canon and a few lenses.

Which cameras are you interested in?

Thanks for your response, Freak. I have placed an order for a Canon 5D Miii and a Canon 50mm f/1.2 lens. Much of my uncertainty lies in the world of lenses. There are tons of them of all sizes and price ranges. New and used, you name it. I'm curious about other's go to lenses and what they use them for.

I'm not an expert by any means but I used to do 35mm slr back in the day and have transitioned to a digital slr a few years ago. I would recommend two accessories if you don't already have plans for them. I would most definitely purchase filters, mainly clear protective and polarized filters. I would invest in a good long zoom lense as well. Also, if you don't already have one, a decent tripod.

I am a Canon/Leica shooter. I have owned every canon lens, up to 400mm, and camera over the past 5 years. I use Canon only because once you get started its hard to change, Nikon products are equally good. My favorite Canon lens is actually one of the cheapest, the 24-105L. This stays on my camera 75% of the time. With the digital age post processing is very important. Lightroom is perfect and the package 9.99 per month for LR and Photoshop is a great value.

I use an A-mount Sony Alpha. That gives me access to hundreds of high quality Minolta and other branded (Sigma, Tokina, etc.) lenses from the Maxxum film SLR years.

Another accessory you're going to want to keep at all times is a Lens Pen.

Great feedback, guys. I am ordering a Canon 70-200mm lens. I'm intimidated about buying lenses because I can only go off of other's experience. How much do you guys use a micro lens? What is a lens pen? Are filters as important given all the editing in modern photography?

Great feedback, guys. I am ordering a Canon 70-200mm lens. I'm intimidated about buying lenses because I can only go off of other's experience. How much do you guys use a micro lens? What is a lens pen? Are filters as important given all the editing in modern photography?

Should your first questions say "macro" lens? If so, it kind of depends on what you want to shoot. Macro lenses are used to take large, close up images of small objects like flowers and insects. I've got a couple macro lenses and have days where I just go around and find interesting things to take closeups of.

A lens pen is a retractable brush that cleans dust off your lens. I have one in my bag and use it frequently.

Everyone is different, but I like doing as much as I can on my camera and minimizing post processing. I don't have a huge amount of post processing experience, but I would expect that certain filter effects would be harder to replicate with software. Also a lot of people put a UV filter on all their lenses mainly to protect the glass.

Reactions: 1 person

I don't know how or what you shoot but the 70-200 souns like a solid choice.

A lens pen is used to clean smudges etc. off of the lens.

Reactions: 1 person
I just bought this one. It's a fixed lens but has a really good LEICA lens. There is a LEICA branded version too. New to the world of photography but have gotten some good shots so far. I like that this one has lots of manual controls rather than menu hunting.

lumix-lx100.jpg

Don't worry about filters as a beginner, not important. For macro the best way is to buy Kenko extension tubes which simply extend the distance between the lens and sensor increasing magnification. Cheap and you don't need to purchase a special macro lens. On the 70-200 you need to decide the main purpose. If you will be shooting outdoors the F4 lens is very sharp, if you will be shooting indoors then you need the F2.8. With a Mark III and a 70-200 2.8 you can shoot action indoors in low light with no problem. i suggest you get the IS image stabilizer if you can afford it. I buy most lenses on this website in the classified for sale section. Lenses don't wear like a camera and prices are more reasonable.

Photography-on-the.net Digital Photography Forums

How much experience do you have with photography, and what types of photography are you into? That would determine any other recommendations. A 5DIII and 70-200 is a hell of a setup. I always recommend at least one prime to everyone, but it looks like you got that covered. Really, a 70-200 and some kind of wide-angle or ultra-wide-angle lens (depending on the usage) is all most people need, unless there's a special type of photography you want to delve in to. If you're a beginner, then I'd advise not to get too hung up on gear for now... just go out and shoot.

I'm mainly a sports photographer, so most of my knowledge is with the fast bodies, fast lenses, super-telephotos, etc. but I could definitely try to offer my opinion on any questions you have. The forum IPleadInsanity linked is a great resource, especially for buying/selling. It offers good advice on Canon equipment as well. Another good one is fredmiranda.com... their classifieds section is excellent.

I just bought this one. It's a fixed lens but has a really good LEICA lens. There is a LEICA branded version too. New to the world of photography but have gotten some good shots so far. I like that this one has lots of manual controls rather than menu hunting.

lumix-lx100.jpg
Beautiful camera. Share an image or 2 if you get a chance.

Don't worry about filters as a beginner, not important. For macro the best way is to buy Kenko extension tubes which simply extend the distance between the lens and sensor increasing magnification. Cheap and you don't need to purchase a special macro lens. On the 70-200 you need to decide the main purpose. If you will be shooting outdoors the F4 lens is very sharp, if you will be shooting indoors then you need the F2.8. With a Mark III and a 70-200 2.8 you can shoot action indoors in low light with no problem. i suggest you get the IS image stabilizer if you can afford it. I buy most lenses on this website in the classified for sale section. Lenses don't wear like a camera and prices are more reasonable.

Photography-on-the.net Digital Photography Forums
Thank you for the info. My end goal is going to be shooting weddings, among other things. How big would the quality drop off be, between the 2.8 and 2.8 IS?

How much experience do you have with photography, and what types of photography are you into? That would determine any other recommendations. A 5DIII and 70-200 is a hell of a setup. I always recommend at least one prime to everyone, but it looks like you got that covered. Really, a 70-200 and some kind of wide-angle or ultra-wide-angle lens (depending on the usage) is all most people need, unless there's a special type of photography you want to delve in to. If you're a beginner, then I'd advise not to get too hung up on gear for now... just go out and shoot.

I'm mainly a sports photographer, so most of my knowledge is with the fast bodies, fast lenses, super-telephotos, etc. but I could definitely try to offer my opinion on any questions you have. The forum IPleadInsanity linked is a great resource, especially for buying/selling. It offers good advice on Canon equipment as well. Another good one is fredmiranda.com... their classifieds section is excellent.
Thank you for being willing to share your knowledge. Basically I have just been a point and shoot hero for years with a teaspoon of 35mm film SLR experience. A family member just wanted to bless me with the opportunity to pursue a career and get some photography education. I love any type of photography and hope to try and sell a few prints here and there buy my fiancee plays violin in a lot of weddings so I want to gear up for wedding photography. I basically have a one time shot to get the equipment that I need, so I am admittedly shopping way over my head. I chose the Miii because it seems a very versatile and battle tested camera from my research. I'm trying to get 2 or 3 top shelf lenses to overcompensate my lack of knowledge. Not as in they will make me a better photographer, just that I know that I am getting quality equipment. I am lower middle class, so after this opportunity, I will be forever bargain hunting. One of the above posters said that his favorite lens is a cheaper one, which is way cool. I just don't have the experience yet, to find those hidden gems or know what off brand lenses have near the same quality so I am basically trying to get what the Jones would get.

Thank you for the info. My end goal is going to be shooting weddings, among other things. How big would the quality drop off be, between the 2.8 and 2.8 IS?

It is more about being able to shoot quality in low light which is the biggest challenge in wedding photography. The IS allows shooting 2 or 3 stops slower than non IS without blurring so you can shoot in lower light conditions. The 2.8 does the same thing wider aperture opening lets in more light. Once you reach you maximum on shutter/aperture you need to increase the ISO. The mark III is one of the best high ISO cameras (hence the cost) but for weddings you will still be limited to 3200 without adding graininess. Still, if you shoot weddings you will need to learn flash photography, purchase some good flashes and portable power supply. Weddings are the only thing I don't shoot, mothers of the brides are so special!:loco:

It is more about being able to shoot quality in low light which is the biggest challenge in wedding photography. The IS allows shooting 2 or 3 stops slower than non IS without blurring so you can shoot in lower light conditions. The 2.8 does the same thing wider aperture opening lets in more light. Once you reach you maximum on shutter/aperture you need to increase the ISO. The mark III is one of the best high ISO cameras (hence the cost) but for weddings you will still be limited to 3200 without adding graininess. Still, if you shoot weddings you will need to learn flash photography, purchase some good flashes and portable power supply. Weddings are the only thing I don't shoot, mothers of the brides are so special!:loco:
Oh yikes, when you say "limited" to 3200, how severe a limitation is that? My mind exaggerates everything I read or hear.

Oh yikes, when you say "limited" to 3200, how severe a limitation is that? My mind exaggerates everything I read or hear.

Most cameras limited to 800 ISO. You have the luxury of shooting at 3200 with no graininess. Sound better?

Actually you can go higher but the exposure must be perfect, hard to do on the fly. For anything that will not be printed I use 6400 ISO on the mark III all the time.

Most cameras limited to 800 ISO. You have the luxury of shooting at 3200 with no graininess. Sound better?

Actually you can go higher but the exposure must be perfect, hard to do on the fly. For anything that will not be printed I use 6400 ISO on the mark III all the time.
If you say it believe it. For now. :). Random question. Share your thoughts on equipment, placement, luck involved, etc. on how the awesome North TD catch was captured. Useless thought: I caught a pretty cool shot of the moment of impact catch that DaRick made when he got sandwiched vs Cincy. Of course it was with my phone up by the jumbotron, but I was still pretty proud of my shot. Haha.

If you say it believe it. For now. :). Random question. Share your thoughts on equipment, placement, luck involved, etc. on how the awesome North TD catch was captured. Useless thought: I caught a pretty cool shot of the moment of impact catch that DaRick made when he got sandwiched vs Cincy. Of course it was with my phone up by the jumbotron, but I was still pretty proud of my shot. Haha.

I shoot UT football and that shot was only a little lucky. That position on the field is the best location for goal line TD shots, luck comes from the side of the field you are on and the fact he dove toward the photographer. At that location where the action is close up you shoot with a wider lens and then crop to the action. He was probably shooting at 10 to 12 frames per second so its not like he just happened to click at the correct time. I like to shoot football with 2 cameras, DX with 70-200 and 1.3 extender, 7D II with 24-105L when they get close.

I shoot UT football and that shot was only a little lucky. That position on the field is the best location for goal line TD shots, luck comes from the side of the field you are on and the fact he dove toward the photographer. At that location where the action is close up you shoot with a wider lens and then crop to the action. He was probably shooting at 10 to 12 frames per second so its not like he just happened to click at the correct time. I like to shoot football with 2 cameras, DX with 70-200 and 1.3 extender, 7D II with 24-105L when they get close.

Nice... Are you able to share us a UT pic or 2, previously unseen?

Thank you for being willing to share your knowledge. Basically I have just been a point and shoot hero for years with a teaspoon of 35mm film SLR experience. A family member just wanted to bless me with the opportunity to pursue a career and get some photography education. I love any type of photography and hope to try and sell a few prints here and there buy my fiancee plays violin in a lot of weddings so I want to gear up for wedding photography. I basically have a one time shot to get the equipment that I need, so I am admittedly shopping way over my head. I chose the Miii because it seems a very versatile and battle tested camera from my research. I'm trying to get 2 or 3 top shelf lenses to overcompensate my lack of knowledge. Not as in they will make me a better photographer, just that I know that I am getting quality equipment. I am lower middle class, so after this opportunity, I will be forever bargain hunting. One of the above posters said that his favorite lens is a cheaper one, which is way cool. I just don't have the experience yet, to find those hidden gems or know what off brand lenses have near the same quality so I am basically trying to get what the Jones would get.

Wedding photography is tough. I've second shot a handful of them, and I'd recommend you second shoot as many as possible as you learn the basics. They are stressful events and require a pretty strong knowledge of the basic things in photography... exposure, composition, framing, lighting, etc. Unless you are an incredible natural talent, those things will come with time and experience. Just read up and shoot as much as possible.

As far as gear for weddings, you want a good variety in your shots. The personal style you develop really dictates what lenses you will use the most. It's all personal preference. Some people cover weddings with just a few zooms and a prime, and do a good job at it. A kit like a 70-200, 24-70, and 35/50 prime would work for that. I personally love the 85mm focal length in a prime, so that would be in my kit. Something like a 100/105 macro is nice for detail shots and single/couple portraits.
I would want something wider, like a 16-35 if the scenery is nice. There are so many directions you can go. Regardless of lens choice, if you planned on ever shooting something by yourself, then a second body would be a requirement as well. At least some knowledge of lighting is required. You can get away with shooting natural light a lot, but you're selling yourself short if you don't take advantage of flash or strobe lighting in certain situations. Like I said before, weddings are tough.

But like I said before, it's important that you don't get too caught up in gear in the learning phase. You already have top notch gear, so you shouldn't have that lust for "something better" like many of us had (I learned on a Canon Rebel XTi with a nifty fifty 50/1.8). Study the work of others, discover what styles you like, and try to emulate. Learn the technical stuff as you go.

VN Store

Back